Forum contributions - URGENT!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Spirit

<b>*********.net Treasurer</b>
Jul 29, 2001
Cambridge, UK
Ok, I'm sure most of you have now read Martz's announcement and are aware of the situation with the forums. For those of you who haven't, Martz has been paying for the forums for a long time now, and due to moving house etc is no longer in a position to continue doing so. Anyone who has used these forums owes Martz a big thank you for the amount of time and money he has put into keeping them running for so long, and I don't think anyone will hold it against him for calling it a day :)

I think we all generally agree that these forums are an integral part of UTassault community as a whole, and without these it would be very hard to keep the league together. Not only would all hosted clans lose their private forums, and thus make it hard to organize themselves, but we would lose all the discussion groups which continue the development and improvement of the game itself. This league is very special and individual in that it's not just about playing the game, but the friendships and community that has developed over the 3.5 years it has been running, and it would be a huge shame to see that die out not because of lack of interest, but because of lack of funding / hardware.

I've been part of the community since before the league was formed, and have made some fantastic friends and had some great times over the last few years, and I for one am not gonna sit back and watch the league die out for the above reasons. After discussion with Martz we have agreed it is entirely possible to keep the forums running as they, but to do so we are gonna need some help from you guys to put back into the community a very small part of what you are getting out :)

From a user point of view you arent going to notice any changes - Martz is still going to head up the admin team and will continue to provide the excellent support he already does, I am just gonna be looking after the financial side of things and making sure bills are paid on time etc. In essence you could say I am gonna be the UTassault.net accountant ;)

So, money. To keep things running as they are, the cost of the forums needs to be covered which is currently ~€200 or £135 a quarter. I am more than happy to contribute towards that cost myself, however am not in a position to pay for it in full, although I have already paid the first invoice up front! Therefore, in order for the forums to continue operating as they are we are asking for contributions from anyone that can afford to help out. No-one wants to be continually bugged about money, so rather than attempting to collect on a monthly or quarterly basis I am hoping to collect enough now to keep us running for a while. Please put in as much as you can spare now, and hopefully we then we will be able to forget about money for the foreseeable future! I do not want to or intend to make any profit out of this - every penny I am given will be put back into the forums :)

So how can you contribute? Well, there are three methods through which I can accept contributions:

PayPal
This is the easiest and quickest way to send money. We do lose a small percentage on charges however it is easier to keep track of the cashflow, the payments and there are no extra charges for international transfers which is especially useful. The only problem with paypal is that you will need a credit or debit card to use their service. If you wish to send money via paypal please CLICK HERE!

Bank Transfer
This is a good method of payment for people within the UK (as I am in the UK too). I can give you my bank account and sort code, and you can just transfer the money from your account into mine. There are no charges, however it will take about 3-5 working days to clear. If you wish to send a transfer please contact me on ICQ and I will give you the relevant account details.

If there is really no other method you can use, I can give you an address to post money too. I would rather not use this method as it is slow, unreliable and costly. The letter would have to be sent recorded delivery to guarantee it arrives, if its in foreign currency I will then lose out on charges getting it changed, and have to go to a bank. I can give the address over ICQ, however I will explore every other option before I accept contributions via post.

So what can you do if you cannot use any of the above methods? The best solution is to find someone you know that does have a credit card, give them the cash and send me the money using their card via paypal. If you know others within the UT community who live in your country, maybe you can transfer them the money then they can forward it to me via PayPal. Regardless of how you send the money, please ensure you put a reference I will recognize so I know who it is from!

There are also going to be amendments to how the clan forum hosting works. This hasn't been completely decided yet but you can expect to see further changes over the next few days that will streamline the system and allow more clans to be hosted. Keep your eyes open for further announcements.

Ok, enough bullshit from me anyway :D Thanks in advance to anyone that helps, I know no-one wants to see this community die out and between us we can keep it together no problem!

Once again, to CONTRIBUTE VIA PAYPAL CLICK HERE!!

Cheers
Spirit

Email: [email protected]

Yey, was the first one to contribute
biggrin_toothless.gif

nps mates, hopefully what we get this time round should last a long while :D

Munkz, I think we can just about manage to keep the console forum there for now :p:

cheques are ok in the post though, aye?

I'm gonna use paypal but just a thought... :p:

Yeah cheques are ok but still a pain in the ass - take time to get here then time to clear, and I don't drive so getting em to a bank in a bitch too :)

I will take em if need be, but I'd prefer paypal :)

I once donated some money trough smark coz i dont have a creditcard.... If something like that can be arranged again u can count on another 2 cents from me :) :p:

I used to use a website called kliks.nl to get sum free money =]

U make sum advertisements for them and if ppl on ur website click it u get free money sent to you =]

It wasn't much back then but if you "force" ppl to click before entering the site/forums it just might get the league sum free money aswell =]

Just an idea -.0

Not an option.. and im sure most will agree with me that we dont want that old ezboard style popup chaos..

>>The PayPal website is temporarily unavailable due to >>maintenance.
>>It will be available again at approximately 3:30 am PDT.
>>We apologize for any inconvenience.

So i do my duty l8r. What kind of sum makes any difference? 20€-50€?

Originally posted by Nanko
I once donated some money trough smark coz i dont have a creditcard.... If something like that can be arranged again u can count on another 2 cents from me :) :p:

Was a very succesfull way of collecting money from you greedy dutch bastards yes.. :P

I'll pass on doing an action like that again simply cause it was very time consuming back then and right now i just don't have the time for it, also haven't played UT in months, nor made any posts (xcept for my daily Garfields) to know which/who from Holland is still around and if there are new dutch peeps on the block who are willing to donate.

However.. i can highly recommend someone from a country (with a creditcard) to arrange such a collection the way i did last year for all the people in your own country who like to contribute some, but simply don't have a credit card or another way to donate)
Just let them send you the money, collect it all and donate all of it to Spirit at once with your credit card..

If there would be one person for each country who would stand up to do that you could raise a lot of cash to help keeping this all alive.

Martz knows all about what i did in the past, so me thinks he won't be pissed at me for not doing it again this time.

Mark

Originally posted by Mido
already donated some money to smark:P

Also referring to last year's action yes.. don't make it sound as i'm still collecting.. lol

Last edited: