Force 1 new map each Pug?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Dj_AL

-)EaS*
Nov 3, 2002
Lund (Sweden)
A nice idea would be to have a "non leauge" map forced each pug as 3rd map perhaps.
And this "Non leauge" map is changed after each week for instance Monday = a new non leauge map.

This way we get more maps pld and perhaps ppl start learning some new maps.

The thing is why ppl dont like the non leauge maps is because they dont know what to do. I know cause i feel the same. I think its boring when i dont know all objectives. This is easy to solve tho, How?

A suggestion to solve this could be for a player who got some time over, or the map creator to "record" with fraps and TS and explain all objective and show all powerups and boots on the maps. Also show hidden routes etc. For instance 3-5 minutes avi clip with TS recorded. Its very easy and then post this in forum or whatever. Every player also got time to watch this before each pug starts to get the latest information of each objectives.

I know for a fact that i would like to play some "non leauge" maps if i get a tutorial as avi clip 3-5 min b4 pug starts. ANd i think it would be more fun to play.

As it is today its always always same map list. Ballistic, siege, bla bla and always the same tactics each pug.

Well was just a suggestion. up 2 discuss. but some changes are needed imo. what do u think?

my 50 cents.

When I first read this, I wouldnt like this, but actually it is a nice idea...but on the other hand pugs are not boring from what I've seen so far and there is no real need to make a change...but let's see what others think:)

A nice idea would be to have a "non leauge" map forced each pug as 3rd map perhaps.
And this "Non leauge" map is changed after each week for instance Monday = a new non leauge map.

This way we get more maps pld and perhaps ppl start learning some new maps.

very nice idea m8 :)

The thing is why ppl dont like the non leauge maps is because they dont know what to do. I know cause i feel the same. I think its boring when i dont know all objectives. This is easy to solve tho, How?

my words since ages

it was much easier in the old days to get new maps pld
we had no mapvote and the servers was very busy
if there was a new map in the rotation..the peeps had to play it..or loose the spot

A suggestion to solve this could be for a player who got some time over, or the map creator to "record" with fraps and TS and explain all objective and show all powerups and boots on the maps. Also show hidden routes etc. For instance 3-5 minutes avi clip with TS recorded. Its very easy and then post this in forum or whatever. Every player also got time to watch this before each pug starts to get the latest information of each objectives.

I know for a fact that i would like to play some "non leauge" maps if i get a tutorial as avi clip 3-5 min b4 pug starts. ANd i think it would be more fun to play.

tbh....i thought about to do that 4 TheScarab and 4 the new maps timo and me are on atm
i´ll see :D

there´s only some code stuff in monkey
the endmovie and music in pandora
tho.... i´m finishing a old forgotten beta map from steelhorn atm....AS-WorseThings

but................. it´s summer peeps :!ola:

You still cant alter the way the bot works, so if that was implemented it would have to be via a rule to force it which i dont think will work

or just do what they did in the old days just add maps to the league, and let people learn them, simple!

Yep; certainly on the map I'm working on at the moment I have recorded a flyby sequence of the objectives, and we have already got a few demos (though I'm expecting to have to re-record these) of some launches; with a view to put together a 3 minute preview clip.

:soon:

If people dont this every pug with one new map perhaps every 2nd pug this maps should be played.

I dont know but i think i would like it alot. Especially if there is an avi clip which showes all objectives powerups and side routes etc. AND i know people would start like more maps for sure if this was shown easily.

Time is the question and whos doing what.? I think the map creators should make the avis with TS recording and publish them, At least for that map which is played that week.

How u solve this techincal pugwise i dunno. was just a suggestion.

Wouldn't it be nicer if people could discover launches themselves? Rather than be shown the launches. This suggests to me that you have built the map around launches and that doesn't lead to success. Building a map with launch potential is.

I hope you are just showing a launch example and not showing the entire map so that no one can learn anything new :P

Hope it's nice though, look forward to seeing it.

Wouldn't it be nicer if people could discover launches themselves? Rather than be shown the launches. This suggests to me that you have built the map around launches and that doesn't lead to success. Building a map with launch potential is.

I hope you are just showing a launch example and not showing the entire map so that no one can learn anything new :P

No, actually quite the opposite, the main structure of the map has been there since alpha stage, so the map flow around key areas was known from very early on.

The demo will only show one or two launches we've found so far - I totally agree that people should be free to experiment and find their own.

Example would be like doing one for GolgothaAL, and showing a launch from the pillarbox to the siege tower; it's a fairly obvious launch spot that people use from very early on.

Last edited:
Nice idea!
Could also be done for standard maps? I'ts hard to enforce such rules though.

Also As-football still gets my vote as warmup map. Also for league matches imo.

LOL

As-football as warmup its bit 2 short 10 secondes. make the field longer so it takes like 1 min or so u can use it as warmup =)

too short idd and usually we need around 1 or 2min to make sure that loco will enter the pug in time :P

yes i think it's a good idea and the map should be 2nd or 3rd.

doing a small clips of a map is ez but since we can't change the pugbot code, we need admin supervision to make sure every pug the chosen map is picked.

and how will we decide wich map is the chosen 1 ?

mb a way to solve this, would be that the first .avi clip of a non league map is the chosen map for a period of time mb 2 weeks and after that we switch to 2nd .avi and so on...

As this seems to be very hard/impossible to realise with the pugbot I suggest that everyone who likes that idea just captains so he can choose what map he likes;)
This would solve 2 "problems" at once.

In case u want to choose 1 map each week u have to keep in mind that it will take probably 2-3 days until most people know it and still u will usually have about 2 people per team who dont know the routes at all. People might find out a few launches within the week but the games will definitely not fully use the potential of the map. So I guess this will end up as usual with people being annoyed about the map coz "it sucks" or "its crap" just coz they dont fully know it.
People wont spend hours on finding out aims for launches and decent tacs on a map which wont be played regularly anymore after the week is over.

So basically I think the only way to get people to learn new maps is by making them a league map.