Fooked UT is REALLY pissing me off!!!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

WaYnOs

[Nil]
Mar 25, 2004
Liverpool, England
see above title! :mad:

I am having problems when playing ut online. The only way I can explain it is that it seems as if my weapons aren't working! My minigun is not worth using, even though I am aiming I think fairly accurately, I appear to not hit anyone (both normal and alt fire). Flack, sniper, rox.... all very hard to use. My isp is sky and I have the up to 16meg connection and get about 12meg. I am on a wireless connection using there netgear wireless router. I am aprox 3 meters away from the router and get a strong signal strength. I F6 ping around 100 on DOG servers, but it isn't stabble, fluctuating between 85 and 145 for example. I disable my A/V when playing and only thing accessing internet from my machine is UT. My system specs are as follows. AMD Athlon 64 X 2 Dual core 4800+ 2.41 GHz processor. 2Gb ram. NVidia 7800gtx pci 256mb pci express card. I use a wried microsoft mulimedia keyboard and a logitech G5 wired mouse. I am using the open GL settings but am not sure which version or how they are set up. I really would appreciate any help or advice of any of you guys as to what you think the problem maybe or what I can do to improve the situtation... on my old XP AMD athlon 1.4 with ati radeon 128mb grafix card UT was fantastic....wish I never bothered upgrading since UT is the only game I play on my pc these days thanks to PS3 and XBox 360 Cheers peeps

BTW, I posted this in DOG forum in reply to Deadboy's post on open GL drivers. Sorry if it has casused a problem by posting it here :o

It's the servers mate.

Admins of Dog won't like me saying this again as they say it's a service they provide for free which I am sure we are (in the majority) thankful for. The servers have been awful for a while now. Lately it is the spikes but before this there was the issue of F6 having a fluctuation of around 50ms. Mine was at lowest points, 55 f6 but it often sat at 90 f6 for around 2mins then even 120 ms. The baffling part is the F1 never alters, meaning my route TO the server is fine surely? Can blame my ISP but no other server has this issue.

Point is, try a different server and see if you have the same problems. Try a couple of DM servers or even try CTF German servers.

Thanks for the advice. I am really pissed off. I even rent a server and tried it on there too but experience the same sort of problems only not as bad! I do realise the Dog servers need sommat doing to them, but it is not like "lag" in the normal senses, it only appears to be with my weapons for some reason? Seems like a delay or sometimes the mini seems to run in slowmo...even the sound is like in slow mo too!! Will try other servers and see if it makes much difference! thank for advice tho :)

I doubt the amount of problems he refers to are caused solely by Dog Servers. I play there at least a few days every week, and lately they're pretty much perfect for me yet again. I mean, even before it was just a spike now and again, not like you have a constant 1000000000000000 ping.

The problems you say you have seem somewhat more drastic than that, and if like you say it happens on diff servers as well might want to look for the problem elsewhere.

Have you tried diff games? pinging to servers, traces n such?

Your trace routes seem absolutely fine, relatively low number of hops but the MS is still pretty high which most likely means that your ISP doesn't offer Fastpath.

Ask them if they can turn interleaving off, or enable Fastpath (its basically the same thing though)

Since your download/upload speed look fine, I can't see why you shouldn't be able to ping <20 ms to UK servers

Last edited:
Thx for that Wish. Just spent the last 90 mins on the phone to Sky TSC (tech support center) They informed me that they can not fastpath me or turn interleaving off as they have been advised by there bosses not to do this!!! FOOKING RETARDED SHIT HEADS! If they could do this they said I would benefit greatly by much better pings! I am seriously pissed with them and feel like fucking sky off as an ISP. My connection is spot on more or less recieving max and can get better (the engineer said). So, why can't they offer fastpath? Tossers! So it would seem I am stuck with this problem till I either change suppliers or Sky decide to allow customers to go on fastpath!

Thanks for your help with this guys! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Well despite the lack of fastpath - your ping should still be playable.

So your tracerts to jolt seem fine. I'd say it may be worth checking your ping against servers where you've been having trouble - eg, DoG - I'm sure you can find the IP, either from UT, or irc, or the forums. In fact get some tracerts when you've been having troubles.

Aside from this.. make sure you're plugged in via ethernet like I said. Make sure no one else is downloading/upload (eg torrents/photos to facebook and so on) while you;re playing.. make sure your wireless network is secure. And if you're missing completely with mini, bear in mind you will still need to aim slightly ahead of players (ie predict where theyre running) to compensate for your ping, which while good.. is not zero :)

Sky is a terrible gaming ISP, you won't ever have a "decent" ping to any server tbh, since they are reluctant to turning interleaving off.

I was on Sky 2 years ago for about 3 months, I had 120 f6 to the PuG server and even higher to servers outside of the UK. Similarly, under uZi's advice I phoned them and asked if they could improve my pings but they declined :/

XRated is on Sky at the moment as well, and he has the same problems, he plays with a constant 80 f1 - on English servers.

So all I can say is change your ISP if you really do want a better ping. Sky are cheap for what they offer though, especially if you have the 3 in 1 deal with TV service.

www.bethere.co.uk is a good option, not too expensive and they're a great (gaming) ISP (they sometimes have problems over certain periods of time though). I am with them and they are far better than NTL or Sky. I haven't had any other ISP's but the majority of UK players in UTA who have low ping are with Bethere/O2.

Cheers for that.. have been onto sky by email tonight requesting mac migration code! fecking sick of this shit! NM hopefully it wont take longer than 6 months to recieve it and I can go to Be. wahoooo! Then you all better watch out!! ;)

this is interesting stuff for me too :D Im playing with an F1 ping of 80 at the very least, and its garbage really, think i might be contacting BT to see if i can get the fastpath here too :D Somehow i have my doubts, but hey, worth a shot :D

Interleaving is there to help with errors caused due to a dodgy line, but if your line is pretty stable then there should be no issue with putting you on fastpath, or reducing the interleaving depth. You may have to pay BT to do it for you - not sure if the system has changed over the years, they used to have to put an order through which would take 3-5 days :/

Yeah I have a poor ping with Sky, though my line was very unstable and the speed kept dropping drastically, interleaving has reduced this problem a lot, but unfortunately ruins the ping!

Im probably leaving sky soon as well, but not for that reason, more out of necessity! Like Wish said, they are cheap esp with the 3 in 1 package (which i have) and the 40gb usage is reasonable, but for gaming prob best with a diff ISP!

The main reason I went to sky was because telewest (my old cable isp) had a problem with the box that supplied my connection and they could only offer me upto 2mb connection when I was paying for 10mb! Sky came up with upto 16mb for £10 with my television and phone package! tbh download speeds are good, gaming wise, it is useless and unless they listen to their gaming customers, they will lose more customers to other isp's. I will be trying Be. and if like Uzi said anyone wants to get sommat for free, then I will be happy to mention their name. First refusal should go to Wish for putting me right, only fair, but I am open to bribes!!! ;)

Like Uzi said?
bah now thats just plain low :P

Be are pretty good although their service like most ISPs varies with your location, for example Wish has often had routing issues to certain servers when I havent.

If you have an O2 mobile contract, O2 offer broadband which is essentially using Be's network but lower bw levels at a discounted rate (for being on an O2 contract)

Last edited:
Sorry to go off topic mym, but could you see what you can do with the server when you get chance....have sent you a pm! cheers!

Have an O2 phone, but my company pay for it so I dont have a contract phone.....wonder if I can get my boss to pay for it!!! ;)

Yeah, can also vouch for BeThere - my parents have it, and on the odd occasion I play from there, its pretty flawless :)