FarCry 2

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Played some more today.
THis game annoyed me so much, that i deinstalled it.

The durability of cars are a bad joke. cant count how often i had to repair cars, because smoke appeared and they lost 50% speed.

Another big mistake is that new enemies populate camps that got alrdy cleared 5 mins ago. It's totally useless to kill those rebels, because ten meinutes later there will be new ones anyway.

Played some more today.

The durability of cars are a bad joke. cant count how often i had to repair cars, because smoke appeared and they lost 50% speed.

Another big mistake is that new enemies populate camps that got alrdy cleared 5 mins ago. It's totally useless to kill those rebels, because ten meinutes later there will be new ones anyway.

lol sounds so shit bart, hope u havent spent more than 5 euros on that game :P

Bought a new gfx-card the week and guess what: FarCry2 was in the bundle.
"hooray" i thought.

Anyway, now i played it again (for about 3 hours within the last days) and it's not that bad at all.
You've to get used to a slower gameplay (not as action oriented as FarCry or Crysis), but it has something.
The setting is unique, the graphic is good, i like the african styled background music and its non linear.
Also the RPG part - where you can upgrade the weapons and cars durability and unlock new weapons are somehow motivating.

The long driving parts are still a downside, but then i see it chilled and trying to enjoy the long viewing distance and setting.
Too bad the most annoying part - repopulated camps - are still there. THat's summin i seriously hate in every game.

My previous rating was maybe abit too harsh. i wouldnt give it 5 out of 10, more a 7 out of 10.

yeah i played the whole game too, graphics are good, AI isnt that bad, weapon system is nice

the respawning rebels annoyed me too

but the fact that you dont have any in game interface unless you get hit by something or reload a gun is really unique and pretty well done makes the game really immersive

also i found the health system to be the best ever for an offline fps
5 parts refilling the last bar youre at if u dont get hit for a while
really a nice mix of that cod 4 style suck your thumb and do nothing for 5 sec and youre fine and the usual dont fuckup cuz u got a healthbar that we know since doom

story was weird

overall i enjoyed crysis better so 7/10 yeah

Use the bus ffs
i did and do, but even then you've to drive long distances.

Some might argue that this is somekind related to reality, which would be okay, if respawning rebels wouldnt destroy that feeling for me.

but the fact that you dont have any in game interface unless you get hit by something or reload a gun is really unique and pretty well done makes the game really immersive

also i found the health system to be the best ever for an offline fps
5 parts refilling the last bar youre at if u dont get hit for a while
true, although the FC2 makers copied both from the brilliant and better game "Riddick - Escape from Butchers Bay" (2003/2004). Too bad they didnt copy the meelee fighting ;)

Played some more today.

Exactly the same here. I did a couple of missions and realised how massively irritating the game is. Shitty enemy AI, crap and boring gunplay, piss poor mission design, very boring and overhyped. I think gamespot.com has a lot to answer for when it comes to their review of this game. STALKER is 10,000 times better and FC2 is nothing like the original. Probably the worst 'free roam' game I ever played, including Fallout 3.

After replying to this thread a while ago I decided I didn't give the game enough of a chance, so like a couple of others I went back and reinstalled it and stuck with it. And yeah it does get much better and I'm really into it now, got about 80% of the game completed, all weps, upgrades, etc. I think the thing that turned me off to begin with was that it throws all its worst aspects at you right at the start, like the bad movement of the main character, the malaria, the crappy vehicles, the fact that 99% of the people in the game will shoot you as soon as they see you. Get past that lot and get a couple of decent weapons and the game opens up. The second island's much more fun cos that's when you get the heavy artillery and vehicles.

There's still some baffling design decisions but you get used to the stuff you don't like, and even the driving becomes OK after a while, cos it lets you explore the landscape more instead of just beaming from one location to another unrealistically. The respawning enemies aren't much of a bother tbh because it's not often you have to pass through a checkpoint you just cleared out rather than going a different way, plus those downed enemies are a good way to replenish your ammo instead of hunting for a weapon store. Plus the graphics are better than those in Crysis, there is much more gunplay than Crysis, the world is far more open and interesting, there's no stupid aliens, the game's much bigger and you get to start huge fires which add a whole new element to the gameplay. And the day and night cycle thing is fantastic.

Just an example of where the fun in this game is to be had: I drove into an enemy-infested checkpoint and my vehicle came under fire, I tried to pick the guys off but they got my engine hissing smoke so I decided to drive away at all speed and regroup. Unfortunately I drove right into the wooden railings of a span bridge and broke them, my vehicle was hanging off the bridge and I climbed out before it could drop. Just as I stepped out there was a noise behind me and an enemy truck hit a rock, went flying way over my head with the machine gunner still trying to hit me, and plunged all the way down into the ravine. I looked down and I could see it had overturned in the water, but the two guys had climbed out and they shot me in the face with shotguns from way down below. So I stepped back and tossed down a grenade, it fell onto the chassis of the truck and blew up, killing both the guys, at which point I sauntered back to the cleared checkpoint and picked up the only remaining vehicle. How many other games can do this sort of thing?

I misjudged this game early and nearly missed a really good shooter, I'm glad I went back to it because it turned out to be the sort of running-and-gunning, STALKER-ish game I love :thumb:

Last edited:
reached about 73% atm and yes the game has some good parts.
But still the repopulating camps and that everyone you meet shoot at you annoy me.

Unfortunally the game has a complete wrong name. It's not even close to FarCry and that's why its so unpopular.
People compare it to the prequel and are disappointed.

But if you see it more as a game, that has nothing to do with FarCry (even the gamestyle) then you can have fun.

Plus: Useless reviewed your mom last nigh pretty well trasher ;(((((
sry, couldnt resist.

reached about 73% atm and yes the game has some good parts.
But still the repopulating camps and that everyone you meet shoot at you annoy me.

Unfortunally the game has a complete wrong name. It's not even close to FarCry and that's why its so unpopular.
People compare it to the prequel and are disappointed.

But if you see it more as a game, that has nothing to do with FarCry (even the gamestyle) then you can have fun.

Plus: Useless reviewed your mom last nigh pretty well trasher ;(((((
sry, couldnt resist.

Ye, forgot to mention, like Bart said, the name was just tacked on to sell it, when really it's absolutely nothing like Far Cry. It's a shooter on its own. It's a pity there is practically no characterisation in the game though - at least Jack Carver had a (crap) personality, even if his was the only one to be found in Far Cry. But in FC2 the only personality is the Jackal and you hardly ever meet him. Even the player character has no face or voice, he's just a walking pair of eyes and arms :\

Two more examples of this game's uniqueness ( just these two then I'll stop :ban: ) SKip this if you can't be bothered watching me verbally masturbate.

Got a mission to kill someone in the Dogon village, a sort of collection of stone shacks in the second island. Drove up there in the middle of the day with a shitload of weapons and immediately got my arse handed to me by a dickhead with a mortar, laming it from a rooftop in the middle distance - no possible way I can take him out and this guy's accurate. So I hang around in a safehouse until night time and sneak back with a sniper rifle and a flamethrower. Mortar twat doesn't spot me sneaking in from the right and I proceed to obliterate the entire place with many, many brush fires and a few sniper shots. Still can't find the mortar but at least he can't find me either. I find my target at the back left of the area and return to my vehicle, only to find it smoking in a heap thanks to my tendency towards total arson at the slightest provocation. Decide instead of running away by foot to sneak back and noob the mortar guy, which entails getting all the way up to the top of the mountain and spying him on his rooftop. He buys it but I cba sneaking back, and though the drop into the river fkin miles below looks like fun I just keep dying. Wander around for a bit on top of the cliff caves and then happen to find a hang glider on the cliff edge, which lets me swoop Bond-like way down through the river canyon, landing happily on the road a couple of miles away, with the entire village in a smoking ruin behind me. THAT WAS FUN :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Get a mission (again the second island) to take out some guy hiding on a barge out in the middle of nowhere at night. Going by boat is suicide because it's tough to find a fast boat with decent armaments and even trying to climb out of them when you start taking hits is annoying. So I go by road just to see what's what. I end up at the most ridiculously large roadblock you've ever seen, which is right at the start of a huge metal bridge way way above the river on which this guy's barge is floating. So I take out the fortifications with my handy mortar truck (hang onto this thing if you find it, it's rare but imo the best weapon in the entire game, including the mortar and FT). Anyway, with the block gone I start crawling along this huge bridge, thinking I'm this close to getting sniped from the dark. Can't see shit ahead of me but I can tell by my map that I'm practically on top of him. So I happen to look down and by chance I spot the barge, directly below me, with the door to the top cabin where this guy is hiding wide open. The river dock is surrounded by baddies but none of them spot me cos I'm about a mile above them in the dark. Whip out me trusty rocket-launcher which I just happened to pack earlier and send a single rocket all the way down through the door. Target, barge and most of the river get blown to hell, noobs all running around like ants below me, shouting 'Oh shit! It's him! What do we do?!' Nothing, bitches, you just got booned! Etc. Crysis can fo, this game hands down owns it.

Last edited:
some missions are really nice. Also i like them more than ususal Crysis missions (becuase you've the totally sandbox freedome, summin i expected from Crysis).
But dunno how it is with you, but the first hours i hated the game. It was boring and annoying, but after time i found it's true treasure, even when it still has some design mistakes (why do i've to do always the same kind of weapon and underground missions?).
That the game was so strange and not playable at first is clearly a failure, because many dont play further and wont see it's positives sides. The makers of FC2 should be punished for this stupidity.

Last edited:
Exactly, like I said, all the negatives smack you in the face right at the start and it's only after you've endured a few hours of them that the game lets you get to the good stuff. Not a good way to ease people into the game. On the other hand it's a challenge, albeit one of irritation instead of skill level.

One thing that struck me is that absolutely everyone on the island is a soldier. There are no civilians, no sense of being a real country or a real island with a community. It's more like a playground for various militia and factions with guns. I guess this was to avoid any possibility of seeing in-game women and children getting dropped by machine-guns or shelled with mortars, but it's still hard to immerse yourself in the story because of this.

And another thing - WHERE IS THE COMPASS?! Man this game needs a compass badly.

Seriously, would you stop wanking over a shitty fps and come IRC instead you daft bugger, I need to talk to you!

And to stay on topic; I just bought the Prince of Persia trilogy for 3€ - supposedly it's good!