Dvd/rw

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

$kunk\\'eeD

\\'o0F! Fookin \\'o0F!
Nov 28, 2001
Shropshire-UK
My m8's computer has a DVD RW and a CD RW.

if you go to Propetys and check the box saying enable recording on this drive. then you can write a CD on the DVD RW and The CD/RW. you can't write a DVD tho.
However when you boot up again the box is now unchecked and IT STOPS recognizing the DVD/RW.
It shows it as a CD ROM or sometimes different things like an ID number.

The MOBO is rubbish ASROCK p4s61. It has 2 physical disks and the 2 RWers.

The drivers for the RWers are the microsoft 2001. XPhome sp1.

Could any one have any ideas of a place to start looking to fix this?

:angel: I have to do it buy sunday to gain experience points and trancend to Magi level 7.
TY ;)

Not entirely sure - two things to try.

* Use the latest version of Nero it does well with a lot of problems. WinXP writing to CD/DVD can be flakey
* Check the jumpers on the drives. Some drives work best as "Cable Select", some wont work right like that - I have had a problem with a DVDRW that would read DVDs but only burn CDs because it was set to cable select. Set it to Master/Slave properly and it worked fine then.

If these dont help I am stumped.

OKy ;)

I got Nero on it Jenni and it's good prog.

It took the DVD image of Alien V Predator and you can customize the menus! \\;ooT!

But when it began to write it was only @ x4

Nero auto detects the same drive as Max x6

btw how long should it take to copy a SVCD VOB etc to a DVD?

I'm very encouraged by the Idea of the cable select. The DVD came with this Jumper setting out of the box.
But it has been changed to Master. the CD RW is the slave. Maybe this will be an easy fix :) hope so.

The computer is fine. Memory is at 133mhz so it chuggs a bit for a 3 gig.
But any Windows query of the CD/RW DVD/RW causes thwe computer to freeze and lock up completly.

THanks for the Info ProPain n Deadboy. Before I started to look into this I did'nt really even understand you need writing software even! lol

BTW any one reading this know more about Cable select MAster and Slave and the best ways to have them connected? What is cable select?

BTW any one reading this know more about Cable select MAster and Slave and the best ways to have them connected? What is cable select?

EDIT** Nuts it won't help me. It has to be MAster and Slave and it is already. With cable select you need special cable.

Ok I have my HDD on primary master (jumpersetting master) and a cd-rom as primary slave (jumpersetting slave)
then i have My cd burner on secondary master and a dvd-rom as secondary slave

I am not an expert on this but for example you dont want to put a hdd on master and then a burner on slave
Because the burner needs info from the hdd, that way their goes a lot of data transfer through the cable and it might slow down burning of even give errors

i put my writer on master and my dvd-rom on slave cos i never use the dvd-rom when i am burning which allows the burner to allocate all system resources to the burn process

reading this, i bet MYM will drop by soon and saying i am a n00b but it always worked for me

updating mobo drivers, bios and firmware on burner sounds nice aswell but i would go with what i typed above first.

you can also check if your ide cables are ATA 66 100 or 133, if your mobo supports ata 133 and your hdd you might want to make sure you have ata133 cables in your case. otherwise the cables will slow your system down because they cant handle the speed of the data transfer. (once again MYM feel free to correct me)

I have my DVD writer on secondary master and my DVD player on secondary slave, works without a problem :)

I also use Nero as oppose to windows for burning DVD's

what PP says makes sense to me, however a writer wont get near HD reading speeds so it shouldnt get slowed down from using an IDE 33 cable :)
I usually have the writer as master and rom as slave on same channel,

Cable select means that the position on the cable controls the setting, eg using an 80wire ide cable the blue connector is MB, the middle grey connector will be slave and black end connector is master, providing the jumpers on both drives are set to CS then whatever device you put in those positions will be assigned master/slave.You dont need a special cable.

I have had a couple drives that refuse to work properly unless they are set as master, usually means that I have to run a HD as slave to make i work :( if you hook up each device indivdually with master setting and it works then you know its possibly this

Reactions: ProPain
the dvd burning speed bit.. maybe the dvd's can only run at 4 x ? dvd writer may be capable of more but the dvd's themselves are'nt ??

Thanks All for the tips. I find all the input very helpfull and I think I'm at the end!

Basically the bios had no Drive/device information options. I flashed the BIOS to l8test and then a Drive option box was there. I manually configured the drives as DVD RW and CD RW.
Now I have written my first ever DVD! so \\'oOts for that :P

The CD RW is still fuczored in this config. Like MYM n Pro Pain said in their posts I think this device is too cheap or to stupid to be happy as a slave.
The DVD works under NERO very well.
And like Paa said (nice moves Paa) the blank DVD I have? Is write x4 only!!! It says on the case! So No wonder the drive does x4 only! lol you live and learn about 8 hours later ;)

ty all.

:hangover:

If any one would like to know it took 3 days of testing. Coffee and Things with sugar in them.

The motherboard is faulty! FFS.

That's all it is. IDE 2 :spank: fuxored.

argh that sux i know :(
i once played around with my 1337 board trying to get it to work on ata133
after 3 reinstalls and every possible configuration i found out the ata133 controller was fux0red!

well shit happens and you'll soon forget about it :)

$kunk\\'eeD said:
you can use Cable select if there is only one drive connected to the IDE-Belt:)