Defending Freedom of Opinion, Speech and Press!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Some good points Mic :]

I'll agree with you on them, who's to say what has got us this far in life already.. a billion events that all needed to happen have happened over the past few billion years.

I'd still say that you wouldn't really need violence to stop him, just to stop his actions. You don't have to kick fuck out of him to stop him, but you would want too though. Restraint would be enough to stop his actions. But I get your point.

I know nothing of Ghandi, so if I'm banging on like him maybe I should do some reading.

Edit: I've also brought this thread so far OT.. I'm not sure what any of what I said has to do with Freedom of Speech but maybe everything boils down to politics and religion. :spank:

Last edited:
@ mic
the problem with physical violence is that the one with the bigger gun is right... just like hitler was "right"

tbh the more i think about it the dumber i think we are to publish such "offensive" caricatures...
when i first heard about it i couldnt believe about the fuss those moslem countries are making...
i thought: hell... dont read our newspapers then...
but those weak regimes take such things as a great opportunity to project an outer enemy to distract from inner social problems
this way we help those regimes to strengthen their structures and weaken opposition

they sure are in the middle age but we cant force them into the 21st century... they gotta get there themselves

i mean we want those religious leaders to condemn terrorists / suicide bombing and they say fuck u thats not us...
on the flipside they want our governments to apologise for some "offensive" caricatures and we say fuck u its our freedom of speech

i say let them have their muhammed as long as they want him...

Last edited:
Just read that the danish and norwegian embassy are on fire in Damascus.

I'm glad the islam is a religion of peace and tolerance otherwise buildings would have been on fire.. oh wait.

Yeah I've just read that this morning, plus the images of the protests.

I believe anyone has the right to protest, but some of the banner images published by the press (the most shocking ones of course) don't really help people support them.

I'm confused - they are pissed off that the cartoons brand all Muslims as a terrorist, yet when they protest in the name of Islam in London, they are calling/supporting/warning of terrorist attacks taking place. :confused:

On Saturday, Asghar Bukhari, chairman of the Muslim Public Affairs Committee, said the demonstration in London on Friday should have been stopped by police because the group had been advocating violence. He said the protesters "did not represent British Muslims".
Mr Bukhari told the BBC News website: "The placards and chants were disgraceful and disgusting, Muslims do not feel that way.
o.gif

I condemn them without reservation, these people are less representative of Muslims than the BNP are of the British people."

Last edited:
Martz said:
Yeah I've just read that this morning, plus the images of the protests.

I believe anyone has the right to protest, but some of the banner images published by the press (the most shocking ones of course) don't really help people support them.

I'm confused - they are pissed off that the cartoons brand all Muslims as a terrorist, yet when they protest in the name of Islam in London, they are calling/supporting/warning of terrorist attacks taking place. :confused:

aye hope they got all their names

and can find some reason to ship them back ( not being racist)

or cut off any benefits etc they receive

dont need fukers like that here

Martz said:
Thur & Mughi - I'm sorry but I don't think you actually said anything different to me (apart from 1 thing I cannot agree with)? I think you've missed my points or their meanings. I see that you have disagreements or buts, but I don't see any reasons in what you have said. It's just talking about a country rather than a religion. My original point was about religion, not countries.

I beg to differ, but I'll leave that aside for the moment.

Martz said:
I still stand by and say - violence doesn't solve anything, regardless of if that form is a cruise missile or a suicide bomber on the underground. And that the general opinion of people I speak too is that all Muslims must die or be deported.

Have to disagree there. Violence solves many things pretty conclusively. Just ask all those dead people. Violence is just politics once the talking has finished. But I won't belabour the point. About the bit where you say "...people I speak to is that all Muslims must die or be deported", do you actually ask them "what do you mean by 'Muslim'?". I wonder if what people are perhaps wanting to express is "all Muslims who support terrorist atrocities and seek a 'one rule for us, another rule for everyone else' approach to things" ?

Martz said:
And the flipside is, that because you were silent when we invaded Iraq, you are complicit in the deaths of 100s/1000's of innocent civilians/women/children around the world. Rightly or wrongly, using your logic you are personally responsible for those deaths - and if someone were to avenge them, they should kill you. (flip my comments round again and it's basically what you are saying).

Your logic is a little simplistic, but on a fundamental level, I would have to say you are correct. Although, flip it about again, and look at the vast protest to the war in Iraq that there was in the UK at the time. People didn't just accept their government's view blindly. That's one of the joys of democracy - you can disagree without being visited by the secret police in the middle of the night, or buried in the sand up to your neck and then stoned to death, etc etc. Not really an option open to the "silent majority" in oppressed middle-eastern theocracies you might argue, but one which is to Muslims living in the "west". Funny how they are largely silent then? (Although, to be fair, things have been improving over the past few days, although I suspect the reason for the sudden concilliatory approach by Hammas is the realisation that Palestine would descend into medieval chaos without the vast subsidies from the "Great Satan" and the EU...)

I suppose my attitude to those sort of Muslims is the same as to those UK citizens who betrayed their country to the Soviets during the cold war - i.e. if the country you have betrayed is so bad, so evil, so corrupt, so degenerate etc etc, why on earth do you stay here, accepting its shilling, freedoms, healthcare, etc? If the dogmatic, repressive, backward state you idolise so much is so great, why not go there? Or, perhaps, are you too enamoured of comforts like the right to a fair trial, freedom of speech, being able to drink the water and not get typhus and so on which you wouldn't actually have in the country you seem to prefer? Hypocrites.

I saw a quote in the weekend papers which I thought was very apt: "Islam already has a very effective form of censorship: Fear." Next time you express a view, stop and think before doing so. Ask yourself: "What I am about to say - am I saying it because I believe it, because I think it is correct, or because it is the answer which is 'expected'?". Remember that 'expected' and 'correct' are not necessarily the same thing. People it seems are afraid to speak out against Muslim atrocities at the moment for fear of being assaulted, branded a racist, etc (but lets keep to this point, and ignore for a moment any background history), or arrested.

Lets get some things clear: Criticism does not make you racist. Nor does poking fun at, satirising, insulting, laughing at or many other things. Now set yourself a little question: a man goes out into the street wearing a sandwich board. On one side are printed the words "Country X must be wiped off the map", and on the other "All Y must be killed like the pigs they are". Now, in the UK, imagine that X=Syria and Y=Muslims. Watch how fast you are arrested and dragged before the local magistrates. Now, imagine if X=Britain and Y=Christians. Die of boredom waiting for anyone to even give a shit. Now why is that?

And in case you think I'm being silly: contrast - man dressed up as suicide bomber, marches through London etc with masked chums bearing placards inciting murder. No problem. Police "examining tapes", and some half-arsed public apology by the perpetrator after the event. BNP member makes some objectionable but not actually illegal comments in a pub, whilst being secretly filmed (entrapment?) and is in front of a judge before you can blink.

Now, setting aside for a moment the objectionable policies of the BNP, ask yourself: If all are supposed to be equal before the law, why are some being treated more equally than others?

I guess what I'm trying to say is: history has shown that extremist parties get into power when people start to feel that their government is being weak/not protecting them/applying laws selectively/pandering to terrorists etc. Is the current situation not just playing right into the hands of the likes of the BNP? Am I the only one concerned by this?

Martz said:
I'm trynig to prove that one particular comment you made is completly off the mark...

Which one?

Martz said:
And no I haven't read about muslim lesbians, but I'm sure thats another perspective I could learn about.

Stop focusing on the word "lesbian" and read the book! :D I promise you'll enjoy it. Its basically a book about the author's view that Islam has become over-influenced by one aspect thereof (Wahhabism), how it has become dogmatic and inflexible, and is thus doing both itself and its followers a disservice.

Mughi said:
oh. my. goodness.

I totally agree with Thur.

I'm tempted to ask if that is Wint posting with Mughi's account... ;)

Is the current situation not just playing right into the hands of the likes of the BNP? Am I the only one concerned by this?

Nope. I think it was Gen76, who, after 9/11, showed a graph with a massive swing to the right. Perhaps the same will happen yet again

And why does everyone use a capital M for muslim? Is it like saying God instead of god, or is my english me not good at?

-CrackKing- said:
Nope. I think it was Gen76, who, after 9/11, showed a graph with a massive swing to the right. Perhaps the same will happen yet again

And why does everyone use a capital M for muslim? Is it like saying God instead of god, or is my english me not good at?

to make there meaning more clear i guess. dunno really.

oh and maybe in other languages it's with a capital. and people might think it's in english too.

muslims should then not draw their prophet or make statues and so on. But when they insist that everybody follows their rules thats where the problem lies.

For me thats the most important statment about this issue

Ive read thru all the posts and agree with lots disagree with some but when it comes to those cartoons Denmark is not a muslim country if a national newspaper publishes those pictures it is not breaking any law religious or otherwise in regard to that country why should the government appologise, why .. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr fs DELETED

**To be honest this whole thing has made me really angry, im finding myself getting angry now just typing this which is why ive deleted everthing i was going to say...

Thuringwethil said:
Have to disagree there. Violence solves many things pretty conclusively. Just ask all those dead people. Violence is just politics once the talking has finished. But I won't belabour the point. About the bit where you say "...people I speak to is that all Muslims must die or be deported", do you actually ask them "what do you mean by 'Muslim'?". I wonder if what people are perhaps wanting to express is "all Muslims who support terrorist atrocities and seek a 'one rule for us, another rule for everyone else' approach to things" ?
I wouldn't even repeat the language that some people have used - but they believe that every single muslim should be deported or killed. Of course that is throwing the baby out with the bath water, but in their minds - terrorism is the worst thing to have ever happened in their lives.

Think how we all reacted with the London bombings. Just like 9/11 there was a consolidation of everyone to feel empathy for the people who had innocently died and a sense that it must be avenged. When we murder/kill a terrorist or innocent civilians close by - we almost validate their beliefs to others and create empathy for evi l- and this adds more support and 10 people will replace the 1 that died.

Sorry, violence does not solve anything. It may silence somebody, but it doesn't solve the problem in the long term. It creates anger and retribution which is felt for generations - exactly the problem we have now. The sooner we can start to live without the violence, the sooner the time will come when we life in a less violent world. It might take 1000 years to get there, but none of us are living ethically if we believe that violence and murder resolves problems. (IMO ofc)

If you are violent towards someone, that will not change their mind or viewpoint. They will just counter with greater violence. Violence just increases and we all lose. No wonder we have suicide bombers attacking us - and yet we all seem surprised when it happens.

Anyone can use violence - and I can't think of a single example where it has solved anything. We haven't erradicated terrorism, ethnic cleansing or racial murder by using violence to solve it. We may have stopped it for a short time, but the cost in terms of human life is astronomical.

I agree that it is used as an extension to politics - but that doesn't make it just or morally right. It just makes it the defacto standard.

Thuringwethil said:
Your logic is a little simplistic, but on a fundamental level, I would have to say you are correct. Although, flip it about again, and look at the vast protest to the war in Iraq that there was in the UK at the time. People didn't just accept their government's view blindly. That's one of the joys of democracy - you can disagree without being visited by the secret police in the middle of the night, or buried in the sand up to your neck and then stoned to death, etc etc. Not really an option open to the "silent majority" in oppressed middle-eastern theocracies you might argue, but one which is to Muslims living in the "west". Funny how they are largely silent then? (Although, to be fair, things have been improving over the past few days, although I suspect the reason for the sudden concilliatory approach by Hammas is the realisation that Palestine would descend into medieval chaos without the vast subsidies from the "Great Satan" and the EU...)
Logic should always be simple, it's a series of steps to get towards a conclusion.

What do you expect - from protestors though? Conservative muslims marching in the streets of London with banners saying "USE COMMON SENSE! NOT ALL MUSLIMS ARE TERORISTS!". People who passionatly believe in something will go to great lengths to show it. The media will always cover the most sensationalist story - and thats the one you'll get to see.

The types of people you are talking about are activists, people who campaign and demonstrate their ideas - what democracy offers us.

The fact that you cannot hear the people who oppose it doesn't mean anything. Here are some sources (pulled from another source)
http://www.muhajabah.com/otherscondemn.php
http://www.cair-net.org/default.asp?page=notislampetition&SubPage=Petition1
http://www.masnet.org/takeaction.asp?id=2648
http://baheyeldin.com/terrorism/do-muslims-ever-condemn-terrorist-attacks.html
http://www.americanmuslimwoman.com/id14.html
http://www.jannah.org/resources/muslimscondemn.html
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/07/28/national/main712548.shtml
http://www.muhajabah.com/otherscondemn.php
Want more? Go google for it. It's there, it's just that everything is filtered because not all of us read or pay attention to any muslim media or news.

Thuringwethil said:
I suppose my attitude to those sort of Muslims is the same as to those UK citizens who betrayed their country to the Soviets during the cold war - i.e. if the country you have betrayed is so bad, so evil, so corrupt, so degenerate etc etc, why on earth do you stay here, accepting its shilling, freedoms, healthcare, etc? If the dogmatic, repressive, backward state you idolise so much is so great, why not go there? Or, perhaps, are you too enamoured of comforts like the right to a fair trial, freedom of speech, being able to drink the water and not get typhus and so on which you wouldn't actually have in the country you seem to prefer? Hypocrites.
Oh I agree with you about "those sorts of muslims". You may as well say "Those sorts of people". We are all people, but we are not all terrorists. Just like all terrorists are muslims, but not all muslims are terrorists. But that doesn't mean we can condoe their violence and then be violence back - otherwise we are the hypocrites.

Thuringwethil said:
I saw a quote in the weekend papers which I thought was very apt: "Islam already has a very effective form of censorship: Fear." Next time you express a view, stop and think before doing so. Ask yourself: "What I am about to say - am I saying it because I believe it, because I think it is correct, or because it is the answer which is 'expected'?". Remember that 'expected' and 'correct' are not necessarily the same thing. People it seems are afraid to speak out against Muslim atrocities at the moment for fear of being assaulted, branded a racist, etc (but lets keep to this point, and ignore for a moment any background history), or arrested.

Many religions are based on fear, especially Christianity. I fully support the freedom of speech, yet I feel that I am a minority for SUPPORTING muslims in the UK. Not a popular opinion for a middle class white atheist I'm sure. I'm more concerned by UK and International goverments actions which are underminding my own personal liberties, costing us billions of extra pounds to find and getting us nowhere.

Thuringwethil said:
Lets get some things clear: Criticism does not make you racist. Nor does poking fun at, satirising, insulting, laughing at or many other things. Now set yourself a little question: a man goes out into the street wearing a sandwich board. On one side are printed the words "Country X must be wiped off the map", and on the other "All Y must be killed like the pigs they are". Now, in the UK, imagine that X=Syria and Y=Muslims. Watch how fast you are arrested and dragged before the local magistrates. Now, imagine if X=Britain and Y=Christians. Die of boredom waiting for anyone to even give a shit. Now why is that?

Both are illegal under UK law though - encouraging people to murder isn't lawful nomatter who X and Y are. Maybe there is a double standard, but what do you expect when we seemily live in a country which deep racist roots, lack of education about other societies etc.

I fully believe that I should be able to poke fun, make jokes and redicule any religion - any whatsoever. And if we are not careful we are going to lose that right and freedom very soon due to a few terrorist attacks across the world which have imposed restrictions upon the victims. Strange huh?

Thuringwethil said:
And in case you think I'm being silly: contrast - man dressed up as suicide bomber, marches through London etc with masked chums bearing placards inciting murder. No problem. Police "examining tapes", and some half-arsed public apology by the perpetrator after the event. BNP member makes some objectionable but not actually illegal comments in a pub, whilst being secretly filmed (entrapment?) and is in front of a judge before you can blink.

The Police are fucking useless, and have their priorties in the wrong place - due to misdirection by policy makers. The only time anything gets resolved is when a huge media shitstorm revolves around the thing. The police say the guy dressed as a suicide bomber wasn't arrested immediately to stop a riot being caused.

On another topic - even though I don't believe in any of the policies or ideals of the BNP - the BNP have ever right to have their party, opinions etc. Just because you do not agree with their opinions - doesn't mean you should stop them expressing them.

It is disgusting, the people are thick fuckers with no idea about civilisation. Yet they have their rights at the moment - but the ironic thing is that it will be a handful of terrorists who relieve of us are rights for different reason, not the outspoken racists.

Thuringwethil said:
Now, setting aside for a moment the objectionable policies of the BNP, ask yourself: If all are supposed to be equal before the law, why are some being treated more equally than others?

Indeed! Why are we arresting people in secret, putting them on a plane and sending them a few thousand miles to be tortured? Why are we not putting people in court with a judge and jury - but instead using violence to kill them with the assumption that they are guilty. The more severe, revolting and appauling a crime is - the more important it is that that person gets a fair trial.

Thuringwethil said:
I guess what I'm trying to say is: history has shown that extremist parties get into power when people start to feel that their government is being weak/not protecting them/applying laws selectively/pandering to terrorists etc. Is the current situation not just playing right into the hands of the likes of the BNP? Am I the only one concerned by this?

I don't think the BNP are anything to worry about in the long term, and like I said they have a right to exist even though ever part of me disagrees entirely with their principles. The way we (the British/European people) are demonifying and taunting Muslims is actually helping the BNPs cause. We are polarising the world.

(Good debate though Thur).

Well, been reading some, here's a short quote:
"Early Islam—the one that Muhammad founded—trafficked in slavery and allowed sex with women prisoners of war, in their most helpless condition. This hadith gives a sad snapshot of slavery and abuse in early Islam. It is disappointing that Muhammad did not stop this trade with firm commands: No more slavery and no more sex with prisoners of raids! This prohibition is doubly needed when a religion traffics in this trade, as original Islam did. But why would such a command come down from on high, since the trade generated a lot of money and satiated male sexual lust for women?"
As I know some muslims myself(I treat them like i do with all other people), you shouldn't be to eager to defend Islam, since almost everyone follow them too the book.And the history of Islam ain't that pretty, and it hasn't improved much either. So don't say they are angels of mercy, because their not.
Buddhism for the win.
Here's the link:
http://answering-islam.org.uk/Authors/Arlandson/torture.htm

There are lots of references to lots of religions about the things they used to support. It's why religion isn't a good thing over a long time, when civilisation modernises and some people get stuck in the past, including all the major faiths.. Christians, Jews, Muslims etc

History has some horrible stories. We gotta move on though and stop trying to justify anyones actions - how far back do you want to take it?

I liked this quote Richard Dawkins used, I can't remember who it was quoted from though...

Without religion good people would still do good things and bad people would still do bad things. It takes religion to make good people do bad things.

I like the french one most where allah says "It's hard to be loved by idiots". It's all true, the muslims once again prove that out of all the stupid religions they are by far the most radical and backward one.

Other religious people are often fecking strange, but at least they don't try to force their religious rules on others so I can live with that.

What also got me is the "muslims" that don't live by their own religion's rules, but once these cartoons came out they all of a sudden were muslim enough to go all crazy about it... they only go with the masses (their race's / religion's masses). Why don't they do it like the lemmings and jump off a cliff?!

Just another proof that god doesn't exist, because if he did he would kill the muslims himself.

Last edited:
Here is some info for all of you:

A group of 12 writers have put their names to a statement in French weekly newspaper Charlie Hebdo warning against Islamic "totalitarianism". Here is the text in full:

After having overcome fascism, Nazism, and Stalinism, the world now faces a new global totalitarian threat: Islamism.

We, writers, journalists, intellectuals, call for resistance to religious totalitarianism and for the promotion of freedom, equal opportunity and secular values for all.

Recent events, prompted by the publication of drawings of Muhammad in European newspapers, have revealed the necessity of the struggle for these universal values.

This struggle will not be won by arms, but in the ideological field.

It is not a clash of civilisations nor an antagonism between West and East that we are witnessing, but a global struggle that confronts democrats and theocrats.

Like all totalitarian ideologies, Islamism is nurtured by fear and frustration.

Preachers of hatred play on these feelings to build the forces with which they can impose a world where liberty is crushed and inequality reigns.

But we say this, loud and clear: nothing, not even despair, justifies choosing darkness, totalitarianism and hatred.

Islamism is a reactionary ideology that kills equality, freedom and secularism wherever it is present.

Its victory can only lead to a world of injustice and domination: men over women, fundamentalists over others.

On the contrary, we must ensure access to universal rights for the oppressed or those discriminated against.

We reject the "cultural relativism" which implies an acceptance that men and women of Muslim culture are deprived of the right to equality, freedom and secularism in the name of the respect for certain cultures and traditions.

We refuse to renounce our critical spirit out of fear of being accused of "Islamophobia", a wretched concept that confuses criticism of Islam as a religion and stigmatisation of those who believe in it.

We defend the universality of the freedom of expression, so that a critical spirit can exist in every continent, towards each and every maltreatment and dogma.

We appeal to democrats and free spirits in every country that our century may be one of light and not dark.

The statement was signed by the following 12 writers: Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Chahla Chafiq, Caroline Fourest, Bernard-Henri Levy, Irshad Manji, Mehdi Mozaffari, Maryam Namazie, Taslima Nasreen, Salman Rushdie, Antoine Sfeir, Philippe Val, Ibn Warraq.

Here is a definition of Islamism, which is considered the new global threat on par with facism, Nazism and Stalinism by the 12 writers.

Islamism:
..refers to a set of political ideologies derived from various religious views of Muslim fundamentalists, which hold that Islam is not only a religion, but also a political system that should govern the legal, economic and social imperatives of the state. Islamist movements seek to re-shape the state by implementing a conservative formulation of Sharia. (Wikipedia)

--------
Now a bit of personal stuff about the cartoons + whole situation:

As a human being I'm offended by muslims as they (try to) stomp on my rights laid down in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Anyone who is a direct threat to my rights is an enemy.

Non-muslims (average lefty?) sometimes protects the muslims, saying the cartoons are wrong and its all our (EU) fault. They stand up for them. You know who I dont see standing up in a peaceful matter? Muslims.
This disturbs me a lot.. They proclaim to be peaceful people and following a peaceful religion, yet all I see is the direct opposite of that. I haven't even seen muslims calling out for a peaceful demonstration without riots. Muslims who call out the riots are wrong and taking any distance from the fundamentalist core or violent parts, saying those aren't muslims since the islam is a peaceful religion.
I don't see any peaceful defense on their side.
There are two reasons why I don't see such a peaceful defense:
1: The media doesnt show it.
2: It's simply not there.

I'm sure/scared it's number 2.
But why wouldn't there be a peaceful muslim outcry? Because that doesn't exist.

Lex_Mortis said:
As a human being I'm offended by muslims as they (try to) stomp on my rights laid down in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Anyone who is a direct threat to my rights is an enemy.

well said m8

Lex_Mortis said:

Universal = ? Who "agreed" to said declaration ?

Are you assuming that becasue some have agreed to said declaration that the rest of the world should follow suit ?

Do you treat all persons that are not in agreement with your perception(s) with such hostility ?

Our planet is shrinking daily (metophysically) and tollerance and understanding of others is becoming all the more important. The statement earlier in this thread about "fuck em if they cant take a joke" is initially funny and true. Well at least it would be if the "cartoon" was funny, but it isn't, it's blatantly designed to be antagonistic & offensive. Hiding behind the "freedom of speech" banner is not an alternative for thoughtful consideration of others feelings.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying newspapers etc should be policed. But I would like to see them edited by adults.