DCC help

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Supermic!

??????????????!
Nov 25, 2001
Sweden
Is there anyone that can tell me which port/ports I need to open to be able to send to others through IRC? Or how to reconfigure my firewall so I can send files but so it still stops as much as possible.
I don't have to open up all the ports between 1024 to 5000 do I?
Right now I can accept files from everyone but I can send any. :\

I'd like to know too please

Everytime i wanna DCC i have to enable 1024-5000 and then close them when im finished, it's annoying

You can just choose a couple of ports, depending of how many transfers u want the same time. Most people take 4000 - 4010.

Pete said:
You can just choose a couple of ports, depending of how many transfers u want the same time. Most people take 4000 - 4010.
Yeah, like ^ said. In mIRC options, set a small port range of 3 to 5 ports like 1024-1028, then forward them from your router to your computers IP. If you got a few computers on your home network, then pick different port ranges to forward for each machine.

Thats it!

Men Micke då. Varför inte bara fråga :)

1024 - xxxx opened just like Martz says.
Although you only need to forward 1 of these to each machine to be able to both send and recieve.

Opening to many ports and redirecting them to a specific internal ip makes your config more vulnerable for attacks.

Yeah, it aint the most secure solution to the problem, but the only one I know. AFAIK you only need to do this to send files, receiving files behind a NAT router works by default. 1 port per file send, so if you set and forward 4 ports for mIRC DCCs then you'll be able to send a maximum of 4 files at once from 1 or all of your machines.

I tried just opening up some ports. Like 1055-1060 or 4234-4239 and so on but it didn't work. :\
It works when I open up 1024-5000 but then I get some remote udp trying to connect to me. "svchost.exe" (norton 2003)
What's that? A troyan virus or just my norton firewall goinf nuts about nothing?
I have a build in firewall in my router as well. Thats where I make the changes "1024-5000"
It's only norton that complains but I didn't wanna set it to block all the svchost.exe incoming events or whatever it is, b4 I know what it is.

I guess I'll have to do what Extase does. Open them up when I want to send something and then close when I'm done.

thx for all help

another example of why personal firewalls are useless...
svchost.exe is a core part in windows, that (i think) provides different services for windows.

Martz said:
Yeah, it aint the most secure solution to the problem, but the only one I know. AFAIK you only need to do this to send files, receiving files behind a NAT router works by default. 1 port per file send, so if you set and forward 4 ports for mIRC DCCs then you'll be able to send a maximum of 4 files at once from 1 or all of your machines.

Actually i only have 1 redirected port to my internal ip and i can still send at least 10 sessions at a time.

And Micke, could be a trojan...