crosshair prob

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Hardcore

(Taki)
Jun 8, 2001
Germany
i tried to make two shadow-crosshairs

files are in attachment
1s.pcx should be the shadow-texture for 1n.pcx (small cross)
and
2s.pcx should be the shadow-texture for 2n.pcx (big cross)

when i put those into a .utx and try to use them, then only the first one works
the second one is not transparent around the crosshair itself but black
(yes the "i-dunno-how-to-make-a-crosshair-and-get-a-big-black-n00b-square-crosshair" ) :(

but i can't find the reason!
the files are exactly the same! even each picture has the same palette.
i used RGB 8,8,8 for the shadow in both *s.pcx
and only 255,255,255 for white pieces
and the rest is 0,0,0

so why does one work
and the other one not?! :(

there must be a mistake by me somewhere
but i can't find it :(

Last edited:
You are using the opaque layer from 136 menus? The only color that will be invisible for this layer is the actual color 0, not just a color that is r=0,g=0,b=0 but the first color in the palette.

For the normal translucent layer any black, or near-black color should work.

uhm yes - i think so.

at least: if you take a look at the *s.pcx files, you see that the "black" color is 0,0,0 and the only color in the palette that is 0,0,0 is the first one (top left when viewing the palette innit?)

that is what confuses me so much:
one works.
the other one doesn't.

but they have the same palette and the first color is 0,0,0.
and this is the color which is used at the spots where the "opaque layer" should be transparent.

where is my fault? :(

(edit: when i import the normal textures in UED (not masked) then they are shown with a black square. and when i import the shadow-textures in UED (masked as it says on the website), then only the white parts are shown, which is what we want innit? and both *s.pcx look like that after importing them so i am still very very confused. could you maybe try using them urself? :( )

Last edited:
Well they work me.. exported them to this.

Sounds odd that they dont work if imported them with masked flag and they appeared in ued with gray and not black background. Is it possible that you by accident used one of the 'n' crosshairs as an opaque layer?

You might as well import all crosshairs as masked since the flag has no effect when they are used for the normal layer.

Attachments

• Chair.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: Hardcore
hmm i think i have found the problem:

to make it easier to explain my prob in this thread i named the files "1n" and "1s" etc.
but actually i used the same filenames for normal and opaque but put them into two different groups of the same texture file ("taki.normal.1" and "taki.opaque.1" in "taki.utx" for crosshair number 1, etc.)

what i did now:
i changed my behavior when importing files to the utx

before: when i edited a pcx and wanted to use it, i just imported it over the old one
now: instead of just overwriting the textures, i deleted all textures from the group "normal" (in order to re-import the pcx files again (not because they had changed but because i wanted to do the importing again because i thought the error was there )

and :drumroll:
after cleaning the "normal" group -> in the "opaque" group there were some textures gone too ?!

reason maybe:
sounds very confusing as it really just were some of the textures that had also been deleted from the other group
maybe UED ignores imported files, that don't differ (in filesize?!) very much from a file with the same filename in the same texture file, but uses the same source file for both textures in both groups?

- this would explain why deleting a texture in one group also deleted it in the other group
- and if that is right, then maybe ued had used:
-- 2 textures for some crosshairs -> works (as it is supposed to be)
-- and some crosshairs in reality used only one texture for both layers -> don't work
(kinda what you said but i didn't know as i did the import process correctly)

anyway it works now (renamed the files in opaque group to *s.utx)
-> and i have to say: thank you VERY much for you quick help polle :) :love:

Last edited:
bah i dont see the big prob with a black square, as long as au have a little hole in the center, improves ur triggerreflex, just fire when it shows enemy teamcolor lol :P