complex brush shapes

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

munkZ

Jun 7, 2001
England
Hi peeps, I was wondering if someone knew how to create somewhat complex brush shapes based on an the outline of an image? I was going to just do a rough outline my hand in the 2d editor then paste and scale the texture to kind of fit..

this is the image i made and want it's outline as either a sheet, or something with a low extrusion

is it possible or not?

tia

Attachments

• krusty.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 93
i discovered the load image thing in 2d editor, but now when i add my brush, ones side is a bit fucked

also after i import it, its split up into loads of shit triangles, so when i go to apply a texture, its totally fucked and would take about an hour to align each tiny segment together :/ quick way of doing that too?

notice in the pic, his righ hair thing just kinda merges with the bottom part of the burger for sum reason

ued is so wank ffs, im amazed any maps get made

Attachments

• ffffffs.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 86
Try to make it in 2 pieces, cut it in half at the middle.
U can use separate building cube the make the brush, then intersect and add it to where u place it permanetly.
Also helps when u transform complitely before adding the brush.

and about the alignment.. hit 1 surface of the brush then hit shift + b rightclick go 2 it's propeties and below alignment try the align floor,wall,wall pan, sum of them shuld alignt it as 1 img 2 the surface.. then just move it 2 place ect..

to make them all one large surface (provided they are coplanar):
Choose one of the coplanar polys. Press Shift+'P'. Go to properties of all the surfaces and align them to floor, unless they are completely vertical - choose wall dir + pan in that case) After that chose the brush they belong to and choose Polygons->Merge from its properties drop down menu. Then rebuild geometry and itll be one surface.

but now when i add my brush, ones side is a bit fucked
what do yiou mean by that? Tbh i can see really much in your pic :\

Last edited:
one thing that often happens with complex brushes is:
if the krusty brush produces too many irregular non-grid vertices in the node structure - if you can see a lot of non-orthogonal and non-diagonal surfaces in the Zone/Portal view (last one of the cubes above your cam window)

go to its properties and choose its Solidity to be Semisolid. This is a good idea for most brushes with inclined/sloaped surfaces or brushes with non-grid vertices like cylinders particularly.

nah aligning by direction or the pan option did nothing really, its still split up into about 30 bits

Attachments

• messedup1.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 60
munkZ said:
nah aligning by direction or the pan option did nothing really, its still split up into about 30 bits
U gotta merge the bits to one like Sobo said

Sobo said:
Choose one of the coplanar polys. Press Shift+B. Go to properties of all the surfaces and align them to floor, unless they are completely vertical - choose wall dir + pan in that case) After that chose the brush they belong to and choose Polygons->Merge from its properties drop down menu. Then rebuild geometry and itll be one surface.