Best Mario Kart?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Which Mario Kart game is the best?

• Mario Kart (SNES)

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • Mario Kart 64 (N64)

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Mario Kart: Super Circuit (GBA)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash (NGC)

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters

Menace

I eat babies!
Nov 10, 2001
Grunn, Netherlands
I've just gotten my hand on Mario Kart 64 again, and I must say that all my memories, tricks and skills came rushing back to me, and I soon realised that this game was soooooo much better than any other Mario Kart.

Argumentation for this opinion is that:

- The original Mario Kart was just a bit too flat and primitive, though I really, really loved the music.

- The gameboy advance version (super circuit) was a bit annoying to play because of the pocket size (and they fucked up the drift a bit), and had very mediocre music, though the music was still better than the melodies in Double Dash imo.

- Double Dash is waaaay too reliant on items, I used to be able to beat my mates with raw skill in all mario kart games, now I have to throw in a fuckload of items aswell, and even though I still win it really doesn't feel like a win anymore :\
I also think that the music used is a bit mediocre :x
You also need no skill whatsoever when it comes down to drifting, it's piss easy to do and is only challenging when you do continuous drifts on every single bit of the track -including straights- to constantly get the blue turbo boost (technique I mastered in about 2 days, sad really)

- Mario Kart 64 just has it all! enjoyable music, a great set of tracks (great shortcuts, can't find em in DD really) and a good balance between items and racing skill, it's pure nostalgia for me, and even though I saw DD as a great MK game I had to take it all back when I played MK64 again for the first time in 3 years.

Long story, boring story, gay story, useless story, whatever. for those who are interested in MK games, happy voting and I'd love to see argumentation because I know there's some MK:DD lovers here :P

My final list would be:

1 Mario Kart 64
2 Mario Kart Super Circuit (I still enjoyed it loads, even though it was mediocre)
3 Mario Kart
4 Mario Kart DD

note that # 2-4 are basically in a random order, because I think they're all of same quality really :D

Agree with XB - I spent ages playing that game. Had tons of 1 on 1s and battle arenas with friends, I loved the environments and the music and Rainbow Road was an epileptic fit waiting to happen. Brilliant game imo.

Reactions: Martz
mario 64! sometimes i still play it aswell, ownage game :)
beat my 27 seconds on warrio stadium and 1:27 (or sth) on mario court :P

The original was the best imo. MK 64 was great but they really screwed up battle mode; the level designs just weren't very good and the triple red shell was way too powerful (in both battle and race). Ah yes, one more thing: they get rid of the feather! WTF were they thinking? The feather was fantastic; it opened up the tracks and battle arenas like no other item could. Oh yes, and the original Rainbow Road is the single greatest track that has ever existed in any game ever.

own em all but snes i put unlimited amounts of hours even playing it on 2 screens taping the top half off with me bro and the bottom half with me on battle mode ... oh dear...

Anywayz SNES version was just the bomb n i was must upset with them removing koopatroopa after that!!!

I recently bought a GameCube, any must have games (Except Mario Kart)

I prefer the good old Mario kart.. was disappointed in 64 cos Koopa Troopa wasnt a player character anymore :p:

sneez said:
I recently bought a GameCube, any must have games (Except Mario Kart)

i like soul caliber 2, super smash bros melee <<great game, zelda wind waker is good as well.

edit: some good games u might like (that i didnt - but alot of others did), metroid prime, super mario sunshine, f zero gx. i probably would have liked these games if they had come out on there own but they came out with other games and when i buy 2 games i usually end up playing only 1 and forgetting about the other : :Joystick:

Last edited:
Inferno said:
they get rid of the feather! WTF were they thinking? The feather was fantastic; it opened up the tracks and battle arenas like no other item could.

I think real 3d (heigh difference especially) made the tracks very versatile in MK64, I think that's why they removed it, you can do great shortcuts without feathers :D

Inferno said:
Oh yes, and the original Rainbow Road is the single greatest track that has ever existed in any game ever.
What's the greatest in your opinion then? :D

And I like rainbow road in all versions of the game, but the SNES version was definitely the hardest. I had such an extreme lap time on the GBA Rainbow road that I refuse to believe it can be done faster :p:
it made me dizzy watching it in replay mode :x
it was about 12 seconds or something, and it took me a full day to master every single jump in that track before I could do it right; re-tried roughly 70 times without stopping :lol:

CeCe said:
I prefer the good old Mario kart.. was disappointed in 64 cos Koopa Troopa wasnt a player character anymore :p:

quite true, that.. I hated it aswell, but my fav character was soon Yoshi (and he still had a decent "voice" back then, he's gay now) :p:

lol I hate those sounds that Yoshi is making in most games he's in

I remember some funny puzzle game Yoshi's cookie where he actually had a voice x]

Mario Kart 64 imo, was very addicting when we played it with 4 people almost every week for like 5 hours