AS-NaliColony

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Nalicolony is probably one of two custom maps i enjoy playing and while captain decides what maps he wants, ending up with 2 or 3 customs and asthenosphere in pug is rather stupid.
I don't think pug is a good place to test out new maps, or when you do it, make sure you pick a decent map list and not end up with many customs where none knows them, this only ruins a pug.

People should put more effort into testing a map offline, so that the gameplay can be tested in pugs. It's such a shame, there are so many jewels out there that could get the league flowing again, but no one seems to care ;(

Theres only one way to solve this.
FORCE one new map each pug then ppl will need to learn it. No matter what it WONT ruin the pug, Its only one map u lose.

Ppl wont play the maps offline as u suggest. People are to lazy trust me. Just look at Dustbowl after 2-3 yers now when its picked rather often ppl STILL dont know where to go.....

Just force one map alwas being picked by default for one week each pug (off course it needs to be good enough) and you can change that map the week after. Will be more fun to play pugs also

Suggestion = first map each pug is a new map. After one week its change to another "new map".
After a while these 2-3 maps wont be as "new" anymore.

And off couse it should not be allowed to pick more "new" maps to ruin the pug. One new map each pug wont ruin the pug trust me. This is the only way to do it or you will keep on playing desertstorm, siege bla bla for eternity.

There is a rule in place that no more than 2 new "custom" maps per pug, thought it would be common sense that this would be 1 map per captain but looks like its been abused.
The whole point of this rule is so new maps can be picked without people complaining there are too many new maps which I agree will make a pug less appealing.
I dont think new maps should be forced but people should be enouraged to pick them from time to time without being criticised.

I think DJ's idea is quite good. However, I really don't think Pug is the correct testing environment for new maps. Utterly pointless to play a map where 5 members of team red know the map, and 2 members of team blue know it. The map is run through almost speed run and nothing is learned. Easy to criticise I know, but there isn't a popular environment currently existent where maps can be tested. BN pointed out about map testing. Why not make an announcement 1 week beforehand rather than coming on 4pm on a sunday pming a few people to test. Make it official, maybe across more than 1 server and you never know.

Sorry though but for me this map is still an eye candy map, lacking any real assault attributes. If you want a huge outlay map with several attacking points then you wont get a popular map, end of. You can't realistically have more than 2 routes to an objective, 3 at a push which needs to be significantly harder to get to/through (like ballistic sniper nest). NaliColony is another good looking map with too many gimicks, yes they are cool but that novelty soon wears off.

Well theres another idea really if the creator has time enough for it.

IF you use a new MAP as a first map there should be a " youtube" link from the map maker to show all objectives and side routes and perhaps all powerups like SB and stuff.

This could be like a 3-5 minute youtube/vimeo link showing the map where to go and teleports.

IF you have this prepared you can EASILY have a new map as a startmap in pugs. Just post the link in the pugchannel before pug starts ppl got time enough to check this video and perhaps you dont run through the map that easily what you were saying torp

good suggestion imo. i know for a fact that i would watch this videolink

the only real way to learn a map is too play it!!

the problem with pug is, half the players know a map and the other half dont. The map ends up being speed run. now read my first sentance!

IF you use a new MAP as a first map there should be a " youtube" link from the map maker to show all objectives and side routes and perhaps all powerups like SB and stuff.

This could be like a 3-5 minute youtube/vimeo link showing the map where to go and teleports.

IF you have this prepared you can EASILY have a new map as a startmap in pugs. Just post the link in the pugchannel before pug starts ppl got time enough to check this video and perhaps you dont run through the map that easily what you were saying torp

seems like a good idea to me :thumb: and i have no problem trying new maps in pugs , it's good but as long as theres only 1 new map per pug imo

Yes that is a very good idea. Although maybe it would be good for someone familiar with fraps/video-capping to do this, together with Che. I don´t think he really feels much for doing this himself atm...

Don't think people will learn the map from a video and not everyone will watch the video so it will still be 2 knowing the map versus 5. I think its a better idea to have announced tests like Torp suggested. This way you know you have people willing to actually try the map and you can play the map a few time in a row so people will know it. This way you can find out how the map plays. The mapmaker will have direct and usefull feedback because everyone knows the map and not just a few people that whine the map is wank.
And most of all, this way a mapmaker can finish his map. Atm we have 4 preview and 2 beta maps in the puglist, which is a shame imo. Some have some potential and could be made good with some serious testing. And pugs arent suitable for tests imo.

^

Che already tried that plenty of times. Guess how many people show up, 5-7 tops. This way the same problem will occur.

I pretty much agree with what DJ said, FORCE to play 1 custom map each pug. Encouraging obviously doesn't work, last couple of years should be enough to prove that.

The only thing I would change then, is that there is only 1 or maybe 2-3 customs maps to select from, so the same custom maps are played on regular basis.

Any other way is pretty much deemed to fail... hard

The big question is what do u want to solve by forcing a custom map every pug? If u want people to learn the maps, that will work if people play it often enough. But if u want these maps to be suitable for league play this wont help at all unless

- people in uta are willing to address problems and flaws on custom maps
- authors want to improve these maps to make them suitable for league play

Else forcing custom maps will just make pugs worse (if that is even possible atm, but thats a different thing).

One thing which might help is having some people to test the map (and if u cant even find people to do that there wont be people who give constructive feedback either) before testing it in pugs because some maps have some terrible parts which will annoy people and so they wont be happy to choose the map. This should prolly be organised one or two weeks before the actual testing within the uta forum with signup etc (and maybe in another forum than this where more people have a look at). This testing would be helpful because the only custom map which is suitable for pugging atm is Dustbowl in my opinion. There are still some people who dont know it but it has already shown that it has a good game play without any "unfair" objectives. And because of that it also gets chosen quite regularly.

On any other map I played people did not only do the usual "where to go" moaning but also cried about gameplay related things.
Basically the other maps are just way too unfinished to be used in pugs. After playing NaliColony just once I felt the weapon placement needed huge improvements. Defenders are running out of ammo at basically every objective because they just have a minigun and attackers are coming in nonstop. I guess I dont have to mention the end part where attackers go through that tube thing and end up (when not getting stuck) spawning surrounded by 5 defenders blowing attackers up nonstop with TNT. In addition the map is HUGE again which doesnt really attract people (and really makes it hard to explain where to go, give tacs, etc.). Of course it has a brilliant look but what does that help if its not playing well.

I understand that map creators feel disappointed or angry when people dont want to play their maps but maybe it would be a better way to deal with the problem to ask what should be improved instead of just not making more maps after all the time it has taken to create the map. It is just a big problem that having just one badly placed objective can make a potentially good map absolutely annoying (see TheScarab last objective where attackers have to run through the defender´s spawn inside the ship with 3 or more defenders constantly spawning).

To sum it up, if people dont want to learn new maps and spend time improving them it doesnt matter what u do, nothing will change at all.

I pretty much agree with what DJ said, FORCE to play 1 custom map each pug. Encouraging obviously doesn't work,

Only thing that will work imo. Ppl are to lazy otherwise to learn new maps.
Just make a 2-3 minute youtube link of the map and use it as first map people might even like it after a while.
Was same with Dungoens and same with Dustbowl. Took AGES before people started to like it.
Force = only way IF the map has potential off course

I think an even better idea than forcing captains to pick certain maps would be that the people who want to pick these maps just captain themselves, this would solve 2 problems at once;)

we just need to play new maps and the only way by doing that is to force it. Captain will never pick them otherwise and ppl will NEVER play them oflfine.

Try it for a week and see the outcome imo with the videoclip showing all obj and powerups.

TheDungeon was pretty much instantly popular once it was added to pug. Maybe most maps just aren't good enough thus people don't want to play them, so why force them?...

I know there were a lot of revision changes with Dungeon even after being added to pug, it was mainly weapon placement or small changes to elements of the map purely to help gameplay, it certainly didnt enter pug in the state its in now.

Played it few times on pugs now, tried to explain it to people how it works, wonder how people actually can moan when they dont even know the map etc. learn its not that hard, im sure it will be a popular map in pug within notime (if pug is still running that is :P )

What ASE said!

I played this map 5 times now and i know like 70% of the map already. Really easy to learn.
And good fun with new maps.

Can someone just make a short youtube clikc in HD off course with all objectives / side routes and some tricks / Launches 3-4 minute clip please?

Who knows this map 100%?

Really nice map tbh

I like it too, it got lots of potential lol-moments :P The boots at end should be removed though, dunno if you really can defend castle properly if ppl can jump from anywhere...