1984 in Europe

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Lex_Mortis

Not here
Sep 2, 2002
The Netherlands
Data Retention is real.

Any data (internet connections, traffic, email, file sharing, SMS, phone calls) will be logged for atleast 6 months (Internet stuff for 6 months, the rest for a year). They don't log what goes over the the line, so if you go to google they won't save the google logo and such, just that you [your ip adres, name, address] went there [google ip address] and the given moment [time, date, duration]. If you enter a word in google to search for it, that/those word(s) will be in the IP packets, I don't know if they log that aswell.
If you would download an mp3 from some online server they won't save the mp3 itself, just that you made connection to that server etc.. Same goes for phonecalls, etc

For those that want to encrypt their data: Tor and PGP.

So on which path is the EU walking? Where is it heading?
Nanny-State? Police-State? Totalitarian-State?
Will we eventually get a Great Firewall around EU just like in China, but instead of blocking the words Freedom and Democracy it will block jihad, 1984, data retention or echelon?

Addendum:

Besides the HUGE database they need to create.. I think it will be next to impossible to even search it.
They will need to search fast amount of data at a pretty decent speed if they think person x is gonna do something bad... I wish them good luck trying to find some "mohammed ali" in TB's of data and removing all the false positives.

And of course then there is the question, who watches the watcher?

Missed this post Lex and whole subject, nicely spotted Lex.

What worries me the most about this, is that if you try and avoid monitoring or data retension, you might be labeled a terrorist with something to hide.

Because only people who have something to hide want privacy, right? :(