DVD prob

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Twonko

Love God
Jun 8, 2001
UK
I have a NEC1300A which works fine as a slave to my CDRW using XP. I have temporarily swapped out the hard drive to put a new XP on a new clean HD. Problem is, on the new install, the DVD drive won't recognize any blank or unfinalized DVD media. It will read and play DVD movies and prog discs though. Explorer just reports an "Incorrect function". Any ideas anyone?

Last edited:
Yup. The problem is not unusual apparently but usually happens when peeps install old versions of writing s/w. I haven't got that far. Best option so far is a format and reinstall without the drive present and then put it in after. Would be nice to avoid that though.

Maybe, but it all works fine on the other XP installation. Just seems like all the DVD write functions are stuffed on the new install. Works fine as a DVD reader and a CD writer.

with the old install you where able to burn dvd's? if not bring it back to ur pc dealer.

check what programs u have installed, nero 6 and instant copy sometimes give such probs.
and make sure u use a ntfs filesystem.

If you bring up the properties of the dvdrw does it have a recording tab, if so under this tab is recording enabled? if theres no recording tab then its not detected it properly

Could also possibly be messed up IDE drivers
or
Windows builtin burning plugin causing problems

NO burning progs installed, except Explorer. A clean install. SP1 installed and all other critical and some other relevant MS updates. I know the problem exists with ECDC early versions but I don't use it and it's not installed. Drive reads commercial and finalised DVD's and read and writes CD's no problem. Just won't read open DVD's or recognize blank ones of any type. The "Incorrect function" message has now disappeared and all I get now is nothing. No messages. It acts just the same as a DVD/CDRW combi drive.

The registry shows the drive as a type 2 drive which is the same as my CDRW and is correct. In a working installation of XP where both drives work properly, they show up as the same type 2 drives in the registry. There is no other reference to either drive in the registry except in relation to installed software. So no probs there.

The problem has got to lie with WIndows failing to recognize the drive as a rewriteable DVD drive. I've tried removing it and reinstalling it and swapping the two optical drives around but I get the same problem.

arg

Check that the imapi service isn't disabled; or isn't being disabled by a firewall / antivirus program:

Service Name: IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service
Service Application: C:\WINDOWS\system32\imapi.exe
Startup Type: Automatic

Start>Run>services.msc /s