AS~Oilrig

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

i could only rate visuals and technics because i was alone.

for visuals: the outside part looks good but all of the inner rooms look a like as posted before. most of em are odd cubic rooms with some boxes in them, the map has nothing unique there. :\

you can without doubt apply some more creative detail to the inside parts. the texturing is boring there and so is the lighting.
outside the framerate however was a bit dropish:P it went around 60 on my computer with only me playing :\

One of the reason for this i noticed was the high poly count. so i looked into the ed and quickly found out you used very much 2dshapes. as you may have noticed, 2dshapes always have an unnecessary tesselation at their ends. is the bottom and top of the shape are completely convex (like an "O" for instance) you can use this method to get rid of it:

create the height of the prism greater than you need to have it. Add. create a cubic brush with the needed height, place it so it cuts the 2dshape without touching its ends. intersect.

if you cant get rid of the polygons at the ends using this way because the brush may have concave ends (like most of yours do) you can select of of the surfaces at the end. Press Ctrl+C. all surfaces that are coplanar will be selected, then merge those polygons to one. they will then be threated as one single polygon.

i also think that you could get a fair bit lower with your poly/node ratio (nodes per poly). helpful for this is using semisolids.

sobo said:
i could only rate visuals and technics because i was alone.

for visuals: the outside part looks good but all of the inner rooms look a like as posted before. most of em are odd cubic rooms with some boxes in them, the map has nothing unique there. :\

you can without doubt apply some more creative detail to the inside parts. the texturing is boring there and so is the lighting.
outside the framerate however was a bit dropish:P it went around 60 on my computer with only me playing :\

One of the reason for this i noticed was the high poly count. so i looked into the ed and quickly found out you used very much 2dshapes. as you may have noticed, 2dshapes always have an unnecessary tesselation at their ends. is the bottom and top of the shape are completely convex (like an "O" for instance) you can use this method to get rid of it:

create the height of the prism greater than you need to have it. Add. create a cubic brush with the needed height, place it so it cuts the 2dshape without touching its ends. intersect.

if you cant get rid of the polygons at the ends using this way because the brush may have concave ends (like most of yours do) you can select of of the surfaces at the end. Press Ctrl+C. all surfaces that are coplanar will be selected, then merge those polygons to one. they will then be threated as one single polygon.

i also think that you could get a fair bit lower with your poly/node ratio (nodes per poly). helpful for this is using semisolids.

I've started using a good alternative way too sobo, I still need the 2-d ed for stuff but you can do a hell of alot with the brush clipper as long as you use it neatly and it keeps the shape down to one polygon. I've started keeping fps right down using it and no bsp bugs either ;)

merging 2-d shapes means that ut draws less surfaces on it but from the ed point of view u still have extra poly's..

Muttley said:
merging 2-d shapes means that ut draws less surfaces on it but from the ed point of view u still have extra poly's..
not, if you have a convex surface and use the first method i mentioned, but your right. I use splitting to shape most brushes, too. :) Easier and quicker.
Btw Mutts, if you shaped a brush with splitting, do the Transfrom->Transform permanently from the drop down menu (if the vertexes still lie on the grid!). This sets the current state of the brush as default and allows the engine to handle it faster (for rebuilding for instance, i dont know whether it makes a difference in game).

i think allmost every map was a little confusing at start . so iff this one is confusing you should run it trew a few times.. i dont think its confusing at all! pld cyp. i like it!

my fps is ok.. but thats because i got a ownage comp ;)
and i dont know shit about what they all just sayed :pimp:

Last edited: