In-map music...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Useless

Bravo
Jun 14, 2002
Scotland
I dunno about mapping but I always wondered why people don't use mp3s for their map music. Is it not possible? Cos there are some maps that just cry out for certain songs :P

I always thought the end bit of In Our Gun by Gomez would make an amazing soundtrack for a map. Or Soul Bossa Nova from the start of Austin Powers - the one where they're all dancing in the street :)

normaly ut dont use any kind of mp3 (if using mp3 epic had 2 pay)

you can use .wav, but that took hours 2 load (~20MB)

as i remember right, ut have the galaxy whatever audio system that can play mp3s.
dont know if its possible 2 enable this

just convert then to sc3 or wotever unreal uses. But dunno how the compression is on that :confused:

the files would be pretty big if a whole song is used (about 3 mins) and i think its not worth it because many ppl play without music anyhow.

Yeah I play with no music or taunts but the reason I turn music off is cos UT music largely sux. If it was a cool atmospheric mp3 then I'd be more inclined to keep it on. Then again the downside would be that people who have no taste in music are allowed to make maps :P

Humph said:
UT music = my mp3 collection for me :)

same here :P

I think u can use mp3's in ut, but you have to import them as a sound rather than music, the last time i tried it, the mp3 came out as just interference so i gave up ( i was trying mission impossible moby mix), i did read somewhere that it is poss tho... it just isnt really worth it cos of the mp3 sizes :(

There was no support for mp3's in UT simply because epic didn't want to end up licensing an engine to play them (same for JPGs), and at the time mp3's were too high in terms of cpu usage.

There are mods that allow mp3 playing in maps (USpace iirc); also there's a winamp control client side mutator that allows you to change tracks etc on Winamp (watch out for cshp tho).

BTW, this discussion is OLD...

http://groups.google.com/groups?&hl...nt.*&[email protected]&rnum=1

Last edited:
Just wait till Kooma or Turha see this, im pretty sure they know how to convert mp3s to umx the best way, afterall they have done shitloads of ut music ;)

:rolleyes: You don't convert mp3's to umx. You use trackers such as impulsetracker / screamtracker to create mods made up of smaller samples. It is possible to sample parts of mp3's and loop them in a umx file, but unless there is plenty of looped portions of the song, it'll end up being a huge filesize.

it is possible but it will be hard finding a song which is not 2 big for ut to use

i remember using a song from machinehead in one of my dm maps
unfortunately it cant handle the entire song so you just heard 1 minute and it kept looping.

aye tracker music is pain in the butt, if you wanted to convert tunes using tracker software (I personly used to use modplug) You would have to learn all the in's and outs of the tracker format which anit as easy as it looks, i spent years on protracker back on my miggy and well, i was still crap at it

[QUOTE='//3iRd(o)]:rolleyes: You don't convert mp3's to umx. You use trackers such as impulsetracker / screamtracker to create mods made up of smaller samples. It is possible to sample parts of mp3's and loop them in a umx file, but unless there is plenty of looped portions of the song, it'll end up being a huge filesize.[/QUOTE]

Jez Wierdo..u know summit about 'puters M8??

I don't :(

Yes, he is right. I have seen it done in DM-Bathroom (enormous sniper arena map)... I dont think it's looped much, It's just compressed a lot... Audio quality aint perfect, but it's ok.

More or less what Weirdo said.

I think this topic has been talked about in an earlier thread somewhere already. Main point being that tracker music can be converted into mp3 form with a press of button but not the other way round, explicitly anyway.

An mp3 can be converted into a VERY BIG tracker tune if it's used as a single wave sample OR the mp3 can be cut into bits which loop and then apply these samples to reconstruct the original tune. In either case, the result is not useful for maps because of size or sound quality issues.