Freedom of Speech

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

So, it seems, the way the P&S forum will operate will have to change. Instead of people debating different things and starting their own topics, once a week a moderator (Thur if she will take the job) will post a thread regarding a topic in the current news or media for discussion.

Sounds like a fun idea, let's ave it :)

you know me good enough to know I am not in the racist/sexist corner, phil, so I might as well take your post offensive towards me.
but I wont because I know you and myself good enough to know that we can have a serious discussion without getting abroad into the racist/sexist corner, can we not?

Originally posted by Martz

So, it seems, the way the P&S forum will operate will have to change. Instead of people debating different things and starting their own topics, once a week a moderator (Thur if she will take the job) will post a thread regarding a topic in the current news or media for discussion.

If you wish to participate and discuss the thread "on topic" you will be able too. The P&S forum rules will then be applicable to the replies to that topic.

How does this sound?

But the problem is how many topics can you find that wont upset or offend anyone at all?

If we were all being picky I could find a million things to take personally which simply arent meant in that vein. It is just a statement of someones opinion, however rightly or wrongly it will be.

Its a shame things have come to this. The only reason I joined this forum was for the intelligent and interesting P and S topics.

Is it just me or has this been blown out of all proportion?
This has been by far the best addition to the UTAS forums imo.
As for the X-files conspiracy theories-they make the forum more interesting. If meeting someone for the first time, you never broach the subjects of religion or politics - who wants a brawl or a slanging match with everyone u meet?
I disagree vehemently with many of the posts on here - DT's and Wintermute's posts spring to mind - I think this forum is poorer fo Wintermutes absence regardless. As it would be if DT decided not to post.
One of the beauties of the internet in general is being able to speak freely without censorship - maybe these forums should have an age bar? I think with the subjects this forum has dealt with - it was inevitable that people were gonna be upset and offended by other people's posts. For fuck sake have you seen the whining that goes of after a disputed map in UT?
If I am out of order-say so-so what?
I know what to expect when I browse in here.
If you personalise things-expect to get flamed-I aint gonna call your Family, your race or your gender and I don't expect the same - however I don't expect people to say "I say BB your theories on blah de blah were a little out of left field" I expect people who don't agree to react - I am a big boy, I can take it.

Regardless of Optis reasons for closing the last thread-this has all been blown up out of all proportion imo.

And yes I have had posts deleted on here before and PM's from the mods telling me to STFU-and in retrospect they did the right thing-cos I had lost the plot for a bit and tore into a couple of folks.
I was out of order and got reigned in - so what?
But to impose the level of censorship that is being suggested is bollocks imo.
Everybody's point of view is based on opinion ffs - we have no opinion we have no forum.

Originally posted by BBStr@nge
Is it just me or has this been blown out of all proportion?
This has been by far the best addition to the UTAS forums imo.
As for the X-files conspiracy theories-they make the forum more interesting. If meeting someone for the first time, you never broach the subjects of religion or politics - who wants a brawl or a slanging match with everyone u meet?
I disagree vehemently with many of the posts on here - DT's and Wintermute's posts spring to mind - I think this forum is poorer fo Wintermutes absence regardless. As it would be if DT decided not to post.
One of the beauties of the internet in general is being able to speak freely without censorship - maybe these forums should have an age bar? I think with the subjects this forum has dealt with - it was inevitable that people were gonna be upset and offended by other people's posts. For fuck sake have you seen the whining that goes of after a disputed map in UT?
If I am out of order-say so-so what?
I know what to expect when I browse in here.
If you personalise things-expect to get flamed-I aint gonna call your Family, your race or your gender and I don't expect the same - however I don't expect people to say "I say BB your theories on blah de blah were a little out of left field" I expect people who don't agree to react - I am a big boy, I can take it.

Regardless of Optis reasons for closing the last thread-this has all been blown up out of all proportion imo.

And yes I have had posts deleted on here before and PM's from the mods telling me to STFU-and in retrospect they did the right thing-cos I had lost the plot for a bit and tore into a couple of folks.
I was out of order and got reigned in - so what?
But to impose the level of censorship that is being suggested is bollocks imo.
Everybody's point of view is based on opinion ffs - we have no opinion we have no forum.

well said m8.

I wouldnt want the age thing on here, some of you know how old I am, but also know how I usually behave.

I agree with BB, except for the bit about the age limit.

You can get an 18 yo who acts worse than a 14 yo and there is no way you can measure maturity.

idealists embrase the concept of a system, while cynical ppl use and exploit the system.

http://www.observer.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,819931,00.html

had no intention of coming back here to post after all this moderator bullshit, but saw this link and felt it was relevant, so am making this final flying visit....

in case anyone cant be arsed to read it, the individual concerned (an american) suggests the american government may have allowed events to unfold on sept 11th when they could have done more about it. the point being that no matter how ridiculous you feel that may be, free speech allows the allegation to be made. clearly there is no free speech here as the mods have now made clear - but it seems that many people think that is 'fucked up' for want of a better description.... if such things can be discussed on an international newspage why cant it be discussed in these piss-ant little forums? you can take your 'because we say so' and stick it somewhere dank and odorous....

as for the idea of the mods starting the topics, i am at present too busy laughing at this fucking moronic idea to lambaste it....

Originally posted by -CrackKing- in responce to BBs post
well said m8.
Well CK what happened to :-
Originally posted by -CrackKing- in responce to similar stance post by me in Bali thread
so basically what you're saying Draize is your *urge* to discuss this matter overrides any feelings anyone may have over it.
With such effortless skill at performing u-turns I seriously think u should consider a career in politics CK :lol: :p:

Originally posted by grizz
http://www.observer.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,819931,00.html

had no intention of coming back here to post after all this moderator bullshit, but saw this link and felt it was relevant, so am making this final flying visit....

in case anyone cant be arsed to read it, the individual concerned (an american) suggests the american government may have allowed events to unfold on sept 11th when they could have done more about it. the point being that no matter how ridiculous you feel that may be, free speech allows the allegation to be made. clearly there is no free speech here as the mods have now made clear - but it seems that many people think that is 'fucked up' for want of a better description.... if such things can be discussed on an international newspage why cant it be discussed in these piss-ant little forums? you can take your 'because we say so' and stick it somewhere dank and odorous....

as for the idea of the mods starting the topics, i am at present too busy laughing at this fucking moronic idea to lambaste it.....
What a beauty eh...a knock-out punch if ever I saw 1 ;) :coolfip:

Some cross wires here maybe?
I don't think the topic was closed because u expoused a particular view on Americans - I got the impression that it was more to do with stating that if people didn't like it, tough.

Lets move on please - Have to agree with Grizz - Mods setting posts? Please. No reflection on the mods btw - but why can't we have that freedom of speech? I like upsetting DT:P and am sure he enjoys it in return:rofl:

Sorry:/ seriously - don't fuck up one of the best things these forums have had-posts are bound to be....ahh fuck it I am repeating meself.
Lets be grown up about all of this - I don't need my hand held in a debate and neither should anyone else.
Sometimes it's gonna get personal to you-if u feel strongly about something - Just remember I may call your government, your views and your musical taste, but I never called your Mum a bitch.

as a mod i felt that that thread was wrong to be started at that time, i was unsure about closing it straight away so i posted saying that people found that offencive and as then i still think it shouldnt have been posted at that time, then to be given the aswer "well if people dont like that tough" i found tottaly unacceptable so i closed the thread.

now if this topic was started say 13 moths, 2 weeks and 2 days after the event "see link in the above post"then im sure i wouldnt have found it out of order or out of place, and i doubt others would have found it so offensive, there are times when you need to use disgression as to what you post, and when posts are felt to be out of place miss timed or offencive then we as mods have to decide what to do with them.

Some people post/start thread with the intetion of provoking people into flames and offending people others do it unintetionally, ive done it as im shure others have, i posrted a response to a thread not really thinking how people would react to it in a clan forum, when i next checking it, it had really offended some of the users and i got PM's about it, and i remeber thinking "yer timing could have been i little better there son"
my post was inapropriate and misstimed and i after seeing the response i knew it.

ive had my own threads deleted and posts removed edited in the past and not "thrown my teddys out pram" about it, and certainly not followed up by posting irrelevent childish responses to or about people who editid my posts/threads etc , as far as im concerned they felt it was out of place or out of order, OK so be it. im not gonna loose sleep over somone editing deleteing my point of view especially as it was obviously out of order to them, i know the people who mod the forums well enough to realise they dont go round editing deleteing threads out of some form of power trip or spite.

i stand by my decision to close the Bali bombing thread as i felt it shouldnt have been started at that time.

i agree with what BB says including the absence of Wintermute he was one of the few people that posted about issues who would use fact and back up his oppinions with some sort of reasoning whether you felt it right or wrong and was also capable of seeing other point of view wether he agree with it or not.

As for the way the P.S. forums should be run im not shure.

If people can except that somtimes Mods will remove or close threads that intentionally/unententionally offend people then the forum can go on as normal how do you deem what is offencive, thats i difficult question as the Mods know i didnt find that flash movie game with the suicide bomber offencive at the time, but lookin at it now yeah that was way out of line, i didnt argue with the decision to remove it but i did question it, yet i did feel the Bali bombings was, i did have a friend traveling who was in Bali at the time so tho i dont think it was, it could have been an emotive decision on my part because it was a little closer to home for me , i dont know.

Last edited:
Please can we give this topic a rest and move on?
Opti shown some pure balls coming on and explaining himself - he didn't have to. Lets stop the flames and start the flames;) if u know what I mean

Last edited:
The rules here cant be that bad since im still allowed to post. and im banned from 1 forum atm and have partaken in closing two others.:lol:

Please can we give this topic a rest and move on?
Well that would be fine if we'd actually resolved anything but i dont think we have. We are still no nearer to understanding how this particular forum is going to be run.

I think we all agree that this forum has gotta be policed a bit different from all the others*. Its always going to be a hot bed of strong opinions & ideas with the occasional sprinkling of controversy...cos thats the nature of such a place. IMO the Mods job here is to control abuse levels...not dictate the actual subjects for debate. Ppl dont like being treated like that...and certainly not the sort of ppl that congregate in a place like this. We need tough but impartial Moderators...not 1s that emotionally dive in abusing their powers to try and effectively silence those who they disagree with. Some other Mods have come in here backing up such a concept telling us `thats tough'...well basically guys it simply isnt.

This forum either flys unaided or it doesnt fly at all...its ur choice.

Opti shown some pure balls coming on and explaining himself - he didn't have to
Showing balls would be admitting to an error of judgement. Nothing in his post suggests this.

*can any1 tell us what the selection procedure was for the Moderators that we have for this forum?

Showing balls would be admitting to an error of judgement. Nothing in his post suggests this.

In YOUR opinion it was an error in judgement, in his not.

This debate asside (which I'm purposefully not expressing my point of view on), i've seen it said on several occasions here how good this forum is etc. Well in my opinion this forum is a complete and utter load of bollox. IMHO this forum is mostly full of hot headed egotystical argumentative people who are hell bent on hammering their own point accross, not discussing an issue (above DraizeTrain comment being a good example). This isn't a forum for debating, its a forum about who can shout their opinion the loudest, and failing that resorting to ripping into the other person with a few personal insults.

The forum started out as a great idea, hell I even contributed for a while at the start, but its turned into nothing but a wrangling match, akin to scenes from various paliaments / congresses / seats of power around the world, very few people have the open mindedness to change their opinions after hearing other peoples points of view, they just read and retaliate. You'll probably say thats what politics is all about, I disagree its what most polititians are all about maybe, but it shouldn't be what politics are about.

I know I wouldn't miss this forum if it was deleted :\

Originally posted by Phear
In YOUR opinion it was an error in judgement, in his not.

I know that...my point was that Optical was being praised (having balls etc) by BB for appearing to acknowledge an error of judgement when in fact he was doing nothing of the sort. Unless of course it was his lengthier explanation of his dictatorial behaviour whilst still maintaining that position that was drawing the praise...but i doubt that.

Originally posted by Phear
This debate asside (which I'm purposefully not expressing my point of view on), i've seen it said on several occasions here how good this forum is etc. Well in my opinion this forum is a complete and utter load of bollox.
Ur absolutely right...it is bollox...but imo this is due to the ppl running it as opposed to the ppl in it.

correct me if im wrong, but didnt this forum start to get my political threads out of chitchat?:lol: