'99 Assault 2019: Twenty Years of Unreal Tournament - we should celebrate

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Would you be available/willing to participate in some oldschool UTA Assault?

• Maybe...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

endgegner

The Saviour of UTA. Worship me as DJ worships sofa
Mar 5, 2006
Boston
November 30, 1999 was the release of what many of us still consider to be the best game (or one of the best) of all time.

The Unreal Tournament Assault community has been there since the beginning, and although a lot of us have moved on to different things, it might be nice to get together one last night for some oldschool Unreal Tournament Assault action and celebrate 20 years of the game we've known and loved.

November 30th, 2019 is a Saturday which could make for a fun weekend.

Unsure what we could do to celebrate, whether just getting a bunch of people together to raid public servers, getting mega PUGs going, having an oldschool clan war or two, or a Survivor™ night. People can vote here or leave comments below.

Let's not squander this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

If this is something which the community would like to take part in, it's important that the community as a whole develops some consensus on how to appropriately mark the event. A lot of the currently "active" players joined after 2003, and it would be nice to get some input from some of the more original members as well.

https://www.strawpoll.me/18604091

Would be good if some of the older lot somehow got linked to this thread.
NRG, AI, Luna, cne, ion, etc etc and popped up for a few games.

Reactions: endgegner
I think really there are only 2 viable options:

1) Depending on numbers, a small cup competition could work. I think we could genuinely pull 30-40 for a one-off period event. 8 teams of 4v4 could be nice. Or 6 teams of 6v6. Best way to manage this would be as a draft to even out the playing field. Although I think some clans could join together if its for the cause and it doesnt create an imbalance! The only downside is you would need 2-3 servers to make it run on an evening, so a weekend event or even a week long event is probably better.

2) Survivor - For me this makes more sense with where the community is right now, although not sure how this would reach out to the older players considering this event was a relatively new idea. The only downside is you are probably limiting player count. I think it was 16v16 in the past? Can more people join a server or is that the limit? Would be crap for some to miss out should we get decent numbers.

I think the issues really are numbers and servers, but deciding which event to play is key. Pugs for me is useless as we do this anyway each week, there would be nothing "special" about this as an anniversary, same goes for publics.

I think the issues really are numbers and servers, but deciding which event to play is key. Pugs for me is useless as we do this anyway each week, there would be nothing "special" about this as an anniversary, same goes for publics.
Ideally I would like this to be something special that showcases what Assault is and has been all about. Survivor, although very fun, is not necessarily going to showcase what Assault is all about. I would love it if you would be involved with organizing this, given that you're one of the primary driving forces keeping UTA alive.

Ideally I would like this to be something special that showcases what Assault is and has been all about. Survivor, although very fun, is not necessarily going to showcase what Assault is all about. I would love it if you would be involved with organizing this, given that you're one of the primary driving forces keeping UTA alive.

Absolutely.

A cup would be ideal really but i think we would need 40 players.

Nearer the time il see if I can borrow a laptop off someone for a few weeks. Install UT il get a mouse and headset from the shop.

Sure i'm for it.

I've even my UT-folder (with all scripts und LAS 1.40) lying around in my backup.

As hopefully we will arrange something around Halloween weekend, just to advise everyone that our IRC server is still running and used.

PUGs are played every sunday, but no reason why pugs cannot happen mid-week. If some oldschoolers want to practice a bit in preparation for something, lets get some regular pugs going in the evenings!

irc.utassault.net
#utapug

Or more details here:

https://forums.utassault.net/index....formation-pugs-community.120521/#post-1636208