soccer / football thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

im not sure what will happen with the dutch squad, but i do know if they play as italy i would be very proud. italy played as a team and with their heart.. holland were just shite lol

Maybe Germany was just that good?

Shitter teams like Greece and England made it to the quarter finals, I would've loved to see them play in group B instead of NL and see if they would've made it through. You can simply spin this many ways (which is also useless). By the end of the day Group B was easily the hardest on paper, looking back on this in hindsight is lame.

Either way, my point was more that Germany was looked at as one of the better teams (and rightfully so) and actually as a favourite at the start of the EC, after qualifiying effortless in the hardest group and smashing Greece in the quarter final. Then they lose against Italy and are suddenly shit and the coach failed? Right.

EC is a tournament and shit happens, its not a competition in which you play 30 games and at the end of the competition all points are counted etc. This is why shit countries can sometimes win (greece 2004) and favourites can be eliminated by noobs etc. Its knockout system and its fun to watch, but it is insanely dumb to change your opinion about a team 180 degrees based on 1 game, especially if they still played decent and played well in their previous 4 games. It is quite a simple concept but apprently to hard to grasp for many fans. :lol:

Greece played better then holland at least they didnt lie down for every other team in their group like holland did!

Greece did even manage to beat russia! and about england well they were unlucky vs the italians...

Greece played better then holland at least they didnt lie down for every other team in their group like holland did!

Greece did even manage to beat russia! and about england well they were unlucky vs the italians...

To be honest I dont even know what you are trying to say. You totally miss the point of my posts, which was about people judging teams after 1 loss or a bad game, changing their opinion 180 degrees and screaming for coaches to be fired - which is typical for many fans to do.

You can make fun of NL as much as you want but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the netherlands had a bad tournmanent. I'm perfectly fine with you saying that Greece played a better tournament, because this is true since they got further, but it doesn't mean that Greece is a better team as such.

For example, Italy got to the finals, but only won 3 games in the entire tournament (excluding penalties vs Eng) where as Germany won 4 games decicively. You said Italy was far superior competintion compared to NL, portugal and denmark, but yeah that is quite an outrageous statement imo. Italy played exciting but the didn't play exceptionally well, still they managed to get through and that is what counts in a tournament.

It's like saying Portugal in theory beats Italy because they only lost to Spain after 0-0 regular time and penalties vs 4-0 in regular time, where as in reality italy might beat portugal (or might not). All these things can be said and are bullshit at the same time, cause it doesn't work that way.

A lot of people seem to think a good team can't lose a single game (see Germany losing to Italy) which is also bullshit, all teams lose at some point. Anyway, let's not stress about all of this :P it is not that important.

On a sidenote, I actually enjoyed Spain in the final they played quite nice (more than usual) so congrats for winning once again ^^.

To be honest I dont even know what you are trying to say. You totally miss the point of my posts, which was about people judging teams after 1 loss or a bad game, changing their opinion 180 degrees and screaming for coaches to be fired - which is typical for many fans to do.

You can make fun of NL as much as you want but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the netherlands had a bad tournmanent. I'm perfectly fine with you saying that Greece played a better tournament, because this is true since they got further, but it doesn't mean that Greece is a better team as such.

For example, Italy got to the finals, but only won 3 games in the entire tournament (excluding penalties vs Eng) where as Germany won 4 games decicively. You said Italy was far superior competintion compared to NL, portugal and denmark, but yeah that is quite an outrageous statement imo. Italy played exciting but the didn't play exceptionally well, still they managed to get through and that is what counts in a tournament.

It's like saying Portugal in theory beats Italy because they only lost to Spain after 0-0 regular time and penalties vs 4-0 in regular time, where as in reality italy might beat portugal (or might not). All these things can be said and are bullshit at the same time, cause it doesn't work that way.

A lot of people seem to think a good team can't lose a single game (see Germany losing to Italy) which is also bullshit, all teams lose at some point. Anyway, let's not stress about all of this :P it is not that important.

On a sidenote, I actually enjoyed Spain in the final they played quite nice (more than usual) so congrats for winning once again ^^.

agree spain played wonderful!

my point was germany wasnt that great because they didnt test their mettle vs the best!

ur posts are 2 long m8

its like 40 degrees here i cant concentrate....:D

But they did test vs the best... italy is no better than NL or Port on any given day... :P

Tomorow wolfsburg vs braunschweig

Wolfsburg should lose :D We dont need them in the first league :D although they would give us three points :D