UT4 keybinds

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Solar´

=]????[=
Dec 5, 2003
Belgium
Hi

I've been wondering about UT4 keybinds.
I'd love to have a suicide button and use my side mouse buttons to switch to sniper or others.
These lines I added to my Input.ini under [/Script/UnrealTournament.UTPlayerInput] :

DebugExecBindings=(Key=LeftControl="suicide",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,Cmd=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=True,bIgnoreAlt=False,bIgnoreCmd=False)

DebugExecBindings=(Key=ThumbMouseButton,Command="switchweapon 9 | switchweapon 6",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,Cmd=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=True,bIgnoreAlt=False,bIgnoreCmd=False)

The thing is, when I start up the game, it deletes these entries, any thoughts?
Btw, I got these lines from on IRC.

got the same issues, so far I couldn't figure out how to get the binds working again.

I thought bringing them in another form might help but:

:::SUICIDE BIND::::::: - Don't copy this line, its just the description of the bind below. Copy the bind below
CustomBinds=(KeyName="Enter",EventType=IE_Pressed,Command="suicide",FriendlyName=)

:::Launch me TEAMSAY bind:::::::
CustomBinds=(KeyName="ThumbMouseButton2",EventType=IE_Pressed,Command="teamsay =->Launch me pls/I will launch you -> %NEARESTTEAMMATE%!<-=",FriendlyName=)

:::Get Sniper / Shock - if you press it again you will get the other weapon if you have both:::::::
CustomBinds=(KeyName="Q",EventType=IE_Pressed,Command="switchweapon 4 | switchweapon 9",FriendlyName=)

:::Get Link Gun / Mini Gun - if you press it again you will get the other weapon if you have both:::::::
CustomBinds=(KeyName="E",EventType=IE_Pressed,Command="switchweapon 5 | switchweapon 6",FriendlyName=)

:::Get Rocketlauncher:::::::
CustomBinds=(KeyName="F",EventType=IE_Pressed,Command="switchweapon 8",FriendlyName=)

:::Bind for adminlogin:::::::
CustomBinds=(KeyName="Y",EventType=IE_Pressed,Command="rconauth YOURADMINPWHERE",FriendlyName=)

:::Bind for reconnect to the server:::::::
CustomBinds=(KeyName="NumPadEight",EventType=IE_Pressed,Command="Say Reconnecting... | reconnect ",FriendlyName=)

:::Bind for disconnect - Very useful if you're trapped on a server and cannot leave. You will jump leave the server and jump to the main menu:::::::
CustomBinds=(KeyName="NumPadNine",EventType=IE_Pressed,Command="Say Bye :) (Disconnect Script) | OnRelease disconnect",FriendlyName=)

:::Bind for exiting the game:::::::
CustomBinds=(KeyName="NumPadNine",EventType=IE_Pressed,Command="exit",FriendlyName=)

:::Show ping permanently:::::::
CustomBinds=(KeyName="NumPadNine",EventType=IE_Pressed,Command="NetStats",FriendlyName=)

:::Show Hud settings:::::::
CustomBinds=(KeyName="NumPadNine",EventType=IE_Pressed,Command="HudSettings",FriendlyName=)

didnt work either.

Then I thought it might be limited to a certzain number of custom Binds. But however I do it, its not working.

Maybe we should create a thread for it:
https://forums.unrealtournament.com/forumdisplay.php?74-UT-Development-Bug-Reports-QA/

and use this template for submitting it:
https://forums.unrealtournament.com/showthread.php?18655-Example-Bug-and-Bug-Template

Could you also check Jira, If you find a match? If not I will create a thread with this bug :P
https://unrealtournament.atlassian.net/secure/Dashboard.jspa

DebugExecBindings is not intended for general users, it is for build testing only.

Since a few weeks ago, it is purposely emptied for public builds due to it causing issues for users with different keyboard layouts, so this is clearly not the way to bind custom actions; I'm expecting the bug you've raised will just get closed as "expected behaviour". What I don't have an answer to, is what the intention is for users being able to properly set their own binds.

/edit Pretty sure CustomBinds are only supposed to be cleared if the "SettingsRevisionNum" in your profile is lower than that of the build, e.g. if they've added more functionality in the default set and wish to reset your INIs to reflect this.

So, if there is a bug, it's that the SettingsRevisionNum is not being stored, so the INIs are being reset every time, instead of the intended behaviour of only resetting when functionality is added.

/edit some more

Dug around some more and it looks like the INIs (certainly the InputSettings and UTPlayerInput sections of the input INI) are no longer authoritative, and they are simply somewhere where everything is written to after the MCP (your online "cloud" profile) is loaded; so previously the only way to set custom binds was using the DebugExecBindings, and that has now been purposely removed. The SettingsRevisionNum apply to your MCP, not to the Input.ini, and this explains why the custom binds are gone from the MCP too.

There is code in the game to configure Custom Binds, but no way to access that code via console, and no GUI elements have been designed for it. At the moment it's just used to set the pre-defined Custom Binds via the GUI (e.g. FeignDeath).

Last edited:
Thank you m8, actually they want me to check on a possible workaround, but I can't since I am in a business trip, could someone of u do It pls? Try changing access rights on ini to read only and check if t entries entries still being deleted! But If Its true what you said m8 the debug exec bind cannot be used, maybe the workaround will work with the custombind syntax (see above)

Hi - it doesn't, and confirms what I said above - the input INI is just a dumping ground from the online profile, binds are not read from it.
I might add to that thread what I've found so far.