2015 Forum migration, updates & issues

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

'//3iRd(o)

Administrator
Sep 19, 2001
Dorset, UK
Update 13/10/15:-

Some forum permissions (private clan boards) have now been updated; purely based on how recently they'd been used (most not in the last year). If you still can't access yours and are desperate for them, then please post here and I'll sort on a first-come-first-served basis.

Emoticons are across. :snot:

Going to be tidying up some of the forums and categories ahead of switching the new theme on, more about that can be discussed in Urgamanix' thread here.

Update 27/09/15:-

Well, that's the big part over, still plenty to fix, but I thought I'd open the boards back up as they are now.

You may/may not notice that we're redirecting all forum traffic over SSL now - feel free let me know if you have any technical issues with this, and we'll work something out.

As per the update on Trello, there's still a number of bits to fix before I start manually bringing across things like emoticons. Access to private forums won't be working right now, but I'll aim to get those sorted ASAP.

More updates to follow.

Original text:-

Fellow UT Assault enthusiasts,

I'm leaving this thread here as a placeholder for updates to the Forum migration, but also as a place for y'all to spam any issues you find after the upgrade has taken place.

So far, we have performed a couple of test migrations to different platforms, and the best fit (which we've bought licenses for) is XenForo.

Urgamanix has kindly lent his time to skinning the board to fit in with the new site, and there's a good chance we'll either run with that, or use a very basic flat theme, rather than trying to make it look like these forums (after all, it's time for a change!).

The migration is planned for 25th-27th September, during which time these forums will be taken completely offline. Hoping not to take too long for the initial migration, but I expect tweaks, optimisations and integrations will take some time to put in place.

Custom / clan themes will be dropped completely, but we can open up access for budding stylists to work their magic and re-build their themes as they need to. If you fit in this camp, then you can actually fire up a virtual instance of XenForo via their website and start getting used to the options available to you.

Also, since it's a very manual effort, we're not planning on bringing across emoticons in the first stretch. These will follow some time shortly afterwards.

Once the migration is complete you'll be able to log back in with your normal username / password. We are also opening up the ability to link your account to both Steam and Google, should you wish to use these as authentication platforms.

Registrations will open up again, as our outbound email is now sorted, and we have access to more efficient anti-spam measures. That's not to say we won't get our fair share of spammers, we'll just have the tools needed to weed them out more efficiently.

Much of the League integration with the forums is probably not working quite the way it should be, right now, since we had to upgrade the back-end web server and database software. I'm not going to be putting much of an effort in to fixing it though, as we should be able to begin moving to a new platform after the new forums are in.

I will however attempt to resolve any issues with things like UTA Auth, as I expect this is still used in isolated instances (Pugs?).

Feel free to let me know if you've any specific concerns or queries, either here, on Trello, or on Steam (feel free to leave a message if I'm not online).

Last edited:
This is a really exciting milestone for UTA, making a giant leap forward 15 years in. I'm really excited to see the great things happening. Thanks a lot for your efforts Timo, doh, Martz, and whoever else is involved in the effort and especially to Urgamanix - the work and dedication he's exhibiting day in and day out is flabbergasting.

All posts, categories, subforums etc. will be kept. I have proposed a couple of things for post-migration:

- Cleaning up dead or sparse subforums and merging those posts into their parent forum to make it less complex and bewildering
- Unpinning out-of-date pinned posts
- Reviewing some of the more offensive posts (e.g. Israel) to hide or moderate
- Giving users a short amnesty to delete their own posts

I propose these changes to make sure the league is best placed to welcome new blood (and new blood IS playing Assault). None of this is confirmed; as usual you can contribute to the discussion on Trello.

Last edited:
Can you just mark all as read using the link at the top of the page, and see if it continues to be a problem? Not sure if it's a side effect of the migration, or something cookie related going on.
Any other issues specifically with the forums, then please use the Forum migration updates & issues thread, ta :)

Seems to be working fine now! Must've been a cookie related problem or something?
Thanks for the help :)

Another issue possibly?

I get these notifications on the forum homepage
nq4ajn.png

but as click (in this case) Chit-chat it looks like this:

2r62qnd.png

As in, no new posts by that specific user in that specific thread? :(

Yep that's strange... Because it appears to be fine for me, and as a guest.

Is it still broken for you? What happens if you hit CTRL-F5 to force a cache refresh?

Is it still broken for you? What happens if you hit CTRL-F5 to force a cache refresh?
It's hard to say as there's been new posts in chit-chat since. No idea if it worked or not :/

Another issue I'm having (sorry about all of this!) is when I click "view most recent unread post" (or whatever the function is called) I get directed to the most recent post, not the most recent unread which means I have to scroll up and sometimes guess which posts are new.

I tried replicating this in another thread (LOL thread) and it's still the same despite me clearing cookies, cache and ctrl+F5 :(

If you scroll down on the forum mainpage, you see the 5 newest forumpost. If it more than 5 posts, dunno either. I think they grow :D

Another issue I'm having (sorry about all of this!) is when I click "view most recent unread post" (or whatever the function is called) I get directed to the most recent post, not the most recent unread which means I have to scroll up and sometimes guess which posts are new.

Can you take a screenshot of which link you're clicking on? Ta.