New Unreal Tournament [Real, not speculation]

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

v0.8 is currently undergoing testing, you can help test in quakenet.org #ut.assault . Few small bugs to fix and then i will put it up on a dedicated server to try some 2v2 or 4v4 or 6v6 action :)

Please read carefully:

We need mappers!

We've been testing on a server and seems like things are working out. Please let me know if you can support. Thank you.

Last edited:
Assault v0.8 - Working on Servers!

Happy to announce version 0.8 is up and working! We've been testing on fattjeff's server - when raxxy gets the server up I will update with the IP here.

https://youtu.be/3p4crjEX7Hk

Edit: Version 0.81 that fixes the client crash is also ready.

Last edited:
Xbomb, I think its quite similar to UT99 tbh. dodging,running is very comparable and there is no bs double jumpy stuff.

There IS however some nice additions to movement which you will not see in a nw-CTF video due to translocators.

1) (off)wall-dodging, is physically very valid and can lead to a small speed up in very specific scenarios, its use is very intuitive coming from ut99 (just move away from wall while airborn). its a clear enrichment and no nonsense like doublejumping.

2) sliding is an intuitive extension of crouching that can set you in a small slide when coming from the air. doesnt add much other then some new thing to break up regularities in hitscan-duel movement. use is simply via the crouch key.

3) Wall running is maybe the most exotic of the novel movement but also is plausibly integrated. engaged and released with the jump key. It can greatly extend the distance of UT99-(into)wall-dodging on sloapes but also works on vertical walls and can bring you in places otherwise inachievable.

for me the most obvious bonus over ut99 was the netcode. Everything is super smooth, pings are low, fps are high. there is no shooting through people because they only "materialze" in discrete steps as in ut99. theres no warping on sloapes/stairs/midair.

Conclusion: IMO its way closer to a *improved* UT99 than to a ut2k4 remake.

Xbomb, I think its quite similar to UT99 tbh. dodging,running is very comparable and there is no bs double jumpy stuff.
2) sliding is an intuitive extension of crouching that can set you in a small slide when coming from the air. doesnt add much other then some new thing to break up regularities in hitscan-duel movement. use is simply via the crouch key.

Not sure I totally agree with "doesn't add much other"; for example, using the slide, you can escape the small windows in the sniper nest in Overlord, just like you can see in the latest video :)

Indeed, sliding characters fit through smaller gaps in the new UT, which is a useful thing.

BUT, in this particular case it completely imbalances the map (well how to "im"balance overlord :rofl: ) towards defence as usually the path for the def to the beach is via the canon hall. so maybe here some minor constructional change to the defence towers is in order.

Happy to announce version 0.8 is up and working! We've been testing on fattjeff's server - when raxxy gets the server up I will update with the IP here.

https://youtu.be/3p4crjEX7Hk

Edit: Version 0.81 that fixes the client crash is also ready.

Excellent stuff, i know your probably working on the core functionality at the moment. But please make a note:

can we get a delay when the map has been attacked? Bit confusing if you go from attack to defence in an instant.
Its a small detail, but it was nice to see the ending sequence when the map was complete, along with the time left.... always nice to see you won with 1 second left etc etc

BTW: well done, you seem to make massive progress in a short space of time. Lets hope the community gets behind you and the rest of the team

Last edited:
Excellent stuff, i know your probably working on the core functionality at the moment. But please make a note:

can we get a delay when the map has been attacked? Bit confusing if you go from attack to defence in an instant.
Its a small detail, but it was nice to see the ending sequence when the map was complete, along with the time left.... always nice to see you won with 1 second left etc etc

BTW: well done, you seem to make massive progress in a short space of time. Lets hope the community gets behind you and the rest of the team

No problem boss - the reason it flicks so fast is only because i havent found a way to freeze all players yet. I did in the C++ version but not in blueprints yet. The default half time will probably be 15 seconds (can extend for league matches)

Thx Urgamanix!

About the slide from Tower, shouldnt it be possible to just add a vertical tip on the floor to make it impossible to slide throu the opening? That way you can still snipe and have visibility.

Sorry for big size! We have our first AS server up, running v0.1 of Guardia! irc.quakenet.org #ut.assault. This is on a US server, we're setting up a EU server tomorrow and another one during the week.

74b4df25e9.jpg

Last edited:
Just got home from birthday whiskey, wife sleeping, will try to get a 0.91 out for tonight that fixes most of the small bugs we found yesterday :D

Its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand
its grand

Hi guys, the major bugs have been fixed, and I am finalising the HUD for the version 1 release. I'd like to try to get another 6v6 pug / test on tonight for Guardia (seems Guardia isn't as easy to defend as it used to be, but want to double check :)). We don't want to texture and finish the map before we know it plays well.

If you have the time later tonight, maybe after work GMT, then please come to irc.quakenet.org #ut.assault or find me in the UTAPUG channel, remember UT4 is free so no reason why not :). Thanks!