New Unreal Tournament [Real, not speculation]

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

If there is the right objects implemented in UT4 you can easily make an assaultmap with blueprint I have been told. But they need to code this first, dunno if Epic will make it or the community? There is a starting thread about the code behind assault in the forums, some of you have read it: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/showthread.php?17860-Assault

Looks promising, also the 6 RL is in the works. Dunno about the launch possibilities? :satan:

I think making an assault map would be the first step, even if the 'mod/gametype' aint there yet.
The most played map in uta history is Ballistic I think, if it was remade, maybe people would take a liking to it?

Hello boys and girls,

I suddenly have a bit more spare time on my hands and instead of paid freelance work I thought I'd hit up on a UT4 Assault blueprint. Tonight I'm going to grab the source code and take a look through it, see what is possible.

There's two ways we can do this, assuming I find it possible to create the blueprint:

1. As a fun little side-project that not many people care about;
2. The re-birth of an Assault community.

I reckon we should model it mostly off AS99 (80%) with some changes and updates for the modern FPS (20%). For example, to appease the masses, we could have a mix of vehicle and non-vehicle maps, or subtly add vehicles to the old maps (stick a few vehicles at the first part of Riverbed3, for example, before having to move ahead on foot or via launches for the rest of the map).

Anyways, this is all words in the wind at the minute, I will check later. For option 1, I will need:

1. A map-maker that is going to work with me on a map, probably Ballistic.

For option 2, we will need:

1. A KICK-ASS map-maker that is going to work with me on a KICK-ASS map, probably Ballistic.
2. This website to be fully updated and re-coded to support an assault league.
3. The community to return without most of the ass-hattery that has gone on in the past.
4. Passion, both from myself and the community.
5. Probably a few more coders.

You can catch me on Steam in the utassault group. Thanks and will update you when I know more.

Last edited:
I think making an assault map would be the first step, even if the 'mod/gametype' aint there yet.
The most played map in uta history is Ballistic I think, if it was remade, maybe people would take a liking to it?

No, we need to have a map where rocket launch matters. I propose GolgAL.

Hello boys and girls,

I suddenly have a bit more spare time on my hands and instead of paid freelance work I thought I'd hit up on a UT4 Assault blueprint. Tonight I'm going to grab the source code and take a look through it, see what is possible.

There's two ways we can do this, assuming I find it possible to create the blueprint:

1. As a fun little side-project that not many people care about;
2. The re-birth of an Assault community.

I reckon we should model it mostly off AS99 (80%) with some changes and updates for the modern FPS (20%). For example, to appease the masses, we could have a mix of vehicle and non-vehicle maps, or subtly add vehicles to the old maps (stick a few vehicles at the first part of Riverbed3, for example, before having to move ahead on foot or via launches for the rest of the map).

Anyways, this is all words in the wind at the minute, I will check later. For option 1, I will need:

For option 2, we will need:

2. This website to be fully updated and re-coded to support an assault league.
3. The community to return without most of the ass-hattery that has gone on in the past.
4. Probably a few more coders.

You can catch me on Steam in the utassault group. Thanks and will update you when I know more.

Thanks for getting in touch with me about this. I've outlined in detail on the UT forums about what we need:
We need to include LAS-style instructions, and LAS features from the start. I'm 100% in favor of just banning vehicles outright. Rocket launching must be included. I'd be much more in favor of Option 2, and 100% behind you if you do a good job. Since you're the first person to actually propose doing something in 13 months you're the best hope AS has.

I don't think Ballistic is a great idea, we need to sell folks on launching. No better map to do that than GolgAL IMO. I'm willing to help mapping, so is Snuggs. Timo has said he might help out making a UT mod as well, but your C++ skills would be awesome.

IMO should try and make C++ attributes for fortstandards, figure out how to switch the map at the end of time, etc.

Last edited:
Agree showing launching capabilities is important, but for now all i want is a basic rough layout map that we can get up to speed quickly in terms of functionality. For me Ballistic is simple, has a variety of functionalities (multiple spawns, temporary/permanent fortstandards both touch and attack), as well as a good spread of weapons. We cant really use one of the existing maps to get a feel because of the open layout.

Dont need any texturing or complicated geometry for now, just a decent layout we can start on setting things up. The map is more for me to test than actually selling to the community.

man that are great news :) I hope it will end up the 2nd method.

i think ballistic is best map for a fast start indeed. It's built very straight. After we got the basics we should go to Gol ^^

Interesting, while I would love to help building the thing, i just don't have the time (or the skill), however let me know if you need me to get a tournament going once the mod is up and running - we will make it big and capture the attention of the UT4 players before CTF grabs em all !

Will be leaving the amazing map making to the amazing map makers, I'll be using a much simpler map for my own testing: Overlord!

http://forums.utassault.net/album.php?albumid=7&pictureid=30

Not sure whether it is good to post regular updates here in case I get people hyped up - I may get totally stuck at any point. Never-the-less, managed to get everything I needed to compile the UT4 source code (took about 45 minutes) and have started working on the gametype framework.

I think a plugin would be good for the time being, but our proper goal should be to bake it into UT4 proper. If we get a fantastic mod done and I hook it upto the main game, I can ask Epic to pull the version of my source code to take a look. At which point they may steal it all and rub my name out :D

Interesting, while I would love to help building the thing, i just don't have the time (or the skill), however let me know if you need me to get a tournament going once the mod is up and running - we will make it big and capture the attention of the UT4 players before CTF grabs em all !

As I've said for over a year now, not having the skill is a completely bullshit excuse. UE4's Blueprints makes design incredibly easy. Anyone can jump in and make it happen. :shout:

Will be leaving the amazing map making to the amazing map makers, I'll be using a much simpler map for my own testing: Overlord!

http://forums.utassault.net/album.php?albumid=7&pictureid=30

Not sure whether it is good to post regular updates here in case I get people hyped up - I may get totally stuck at any point. Never-the-less, managed to get everything I needed to compile the UT4 source code (took about 45 minutes) and have started working on the gametype framework.

I think a plugin would be good for the time being, but our proper goal should be to bake it into UT4 proper. If we get a fantastic mod done and I hook it upto the main game, I can ask Epic to pull the version of my source code to take a look. At which point they may steal it all and rub my name out :D

You're both sexy and amazing and not Canadian. These are all good things.

I agree that Overlord is actually an awesome point to start - no map has that level of nostalgia factor. :)

I can handle getting it baked into UT4 itself. They won't rub your name out.

Perhaps we need a dedicated forum to this development /pokes Timo ;)

Spend last night setting up the game mode and HUD (Overlord now runs in "Assault" mode even though theres no logic in there yet, as well as a blank HUD :D). Learning about HUD elements now which are a bit more complicated, hopefully I can get my head around that tonight so i can get some fake objectives up on the HUD in preperation for the gamestate and AssaultActor class i will be creating later.

Any opinions on the HUD? Effectively apart from the standard elements (weapons ammo etc), we need:

- An assault-specific game clock (will be top center)
- Objectives list (like LAS, will be on the left)
- Arrow to the next objective?

What else?

I have one extremely irritating bug right now, in that I can't compile within the UT editor (it always crashes). Which means every time I want to develop or change code, I need to exit the editor program, do my code changes, rebuild within VS, then start the whole bloody thing up again to test to see if the changes have had any effect. I've posted the error on the UT forums but no replies yet; this is increasing the time taken by like 400%.

Last edited:
Spend last night setting up the game mode and HUD (Overlord now runs in "Assault" mode even though theres no logic in there yet, as well as a blank HUD :D). Learning about HUD elements now which are a bit more complicated, hopefully I can get my head around that tonight so i can get some fake objectives up on the HUD in preperation for the gamestate and AssaultActor class i will be creating later.

Any opinions on the HUD? Effectively apart from the standard elements (weapons ammo etc), we need:

- An assault-specific game clock (will be top center)
- Objectives list (like LAS, will be on the left)
- Arrow to the next objective?

What else?

I have one extremely irritating bug right now, in that I can't compile within the UT editor (it always crashes). Which means every time I want to develop or change code, I need to exit the editor program, do my code changes, rebuild within VS, then start the whole bloody thing up again to test to see if the changes have had any effect. I've posted the error on the UT forums but no replies yet; this is increasing the time taken by like 400%.

Nice progress! Was thinking about those arrows to the next objective thing, hmmm maybe instead of arrows there should be a transparent view of the NEXT objective like in spectator mode when spectators can see all the players through walls etc....just an idea:hm: