Windows 8.1 and 144Hz Monitor

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Dj_AL

-)EaS*
Nov 3, 2002
Lund (Sweden)
Hi!

1st Question.
Im about to upgrade all my systems and format C: with my old windows 7 and backup alles on external drives / NAS etc.

About to try and buy windows 8.1 which looks good imo. Service pack should be fine now what i read and should support all there is.

My question is has any1 tried runt UT on windows 8.1. Should be OK i assume. No problemos what so ever?

2nd Question.
Any1 tried to run UT on a 144 Hz Monitor. Some new monitors support this and im about to buy 3 new monitors.

2 New 27" "IPS" monitors on the side to watch footie and surf etc. IPS monitors better for this and arnt that good to play games on what i read. But he contrast and colors are really nice to watch movies / pictures etc.

But in the middle im gonna buy a TN / LED Monitor with low ms like 1 or 2 ms. Some of these new 27" monitors also supports 144 Hz which i noticed.

Today i "can" run UT on 130 fps (gfx limits my UT to around 120-135 fps) on a 60Hz monitor but it "stutters". So today i lock it in my "UNREALtournament.ini file to 60 fps with this command:
FrameRateLimit=60

This is beacuse its Native for monitor which makes it more smooth. I DONT use VSYNC by the way.

But IF i buy a 144Hz Monitor can i use all 130 fps which my gfx can render in the new monitor if it supports it without making it "stuttering". So this feels as smooth as it is today on 60" but feels even "Faster" cause its like 130.

Any1 tried this and do you know what i mean.

Looks like a lot of gaming monitors ppl buy got 144Hz what they say in the stores. The wanna use maximal capacity in combats.

Any tried it?

Last edited:
Conversely, I know of at least 4 people who have 144hz monitors and love them (they are playing Black Ops 2, COD Advanced Warfare, DayZ/ArmaIII so they are more modern games which may make a difference - I dont know).

My RL m8 has 3 Benq 24" (sorry, dont know the model number) running off GTX680's SLI'd and is very happy with teh setup. He's playin BF4 and Titanfall over 3 screens and says its mint!

One thing I would say is that if you have 3 monitors running off 1 or 2 cards (didnt read your post fully) and only one can do 144hz, I suspect that the will all have to run at whatever the lowest Hz is. Certainly used to be the case but if there is an alrternative solution, would someone be so kind as to post it!

Last edited:
One thing I would say is that if you have 3 monitors running off 1 or 2 cards (didnt read your post fully) and only one can do 144hz, I suspect that the will all have to run at whatever the lowest Hz is. Certainly used to be the case but if there is an alrternative solution, would someone be so kind as to post it!

Never thought of that!

Thanks Vitz

I just got a benq 144hz, not had much time to try it with UT yet but it seemed fine (I can get 144 stable fps with my gpu).

Meteor and Blackninja said that 144hz = bad

My unfinished UT problem occurred after a complete new SSD, dual gpu PC hardware and 64 bit OS setup with a new LCD monitor with 120hz. Every attempt to solve my problems failed. Therefore I use this PC now for a different task.

ok meteor to bad mate =(

Wish which 1 did you buy?
Model number?

I dont get 144 fps with my cpu and gfx card. DO you think that would b a problem with a 144 Hz monitor or perhaps it doesnt matter and it uses as much it can to 130 ?

They should be synced or`?

XL2411Z

Wouldn't be a problem because you can choose 60, 75, 120, 144 refresh rate etc. So you could pick 120 and set your frames to 120.

Actually I think there is a setting where the monitor automatically changes its refresh rate to match your frames in-game, but I haven't bothered looking into it.

Btw, you can only use the higher refresh rates with a DVI cable. HDMI is restricted at 60 I think.

Oh that was usefull information.
But i think its DVI ill use

Do you know what happens if i connect another 60Hz monitor to the same gfx?
Will that limit the 144Hz one to 60 aswell?

Where do i make the setting to use 120Hz in monitor? Is that in windows under sceen resolution / properties?
Makes it possible to choose 120 instead of 144 then to match the fps.
Thats sounds really promising.

Do you use wind 8.1 and / or 64 bits?

Read so many things with problems that meteor and mc and bn had

I have my other 60hz monitor connected and no, it doesn't interfere with the 144hz. In my graphics options I can set the refresh rate of each independently.

You can set the refresh rate in windows or in your graphic card properties, there will be a list of available refresh rates at that resolution.

Windows 7, 64 bit.

They might have had issues with the feeling of 16:9 resolution, as nothing feels quite as good as 4:3 for UT99. Coming from a 16:9 to a 16:9 as you are though will be fine I imagine.

XL2411Z

Wouldn't be a problem because you can choose 60, 75, 120, 144 refresh rate etc. So you could pick 120 and set your frames to 120.

Actually I think there is a setting where the monitor automatically changes its refresh rate to match your frames in-game, but I haven't bothered looking into it.

Btw, you can only use the higher refresh rates with a DVI cable. HDMI is restricted at 60 I think.

that is vsync, used to limit frames but it's only really used when there is vertical screen tearing and if ur gfx can handle it u will get high fps generally. ut should get high fps regardless cuz it's old and doesn't need much

@DJ
-personally i don't think u would get any real benefit from high refresh rates in ut
-however, u would in theory get better aim for low ms monitor tho since it reduces input lag, basically the mouse movements u make will feel more real time on the screen

no idea on what other problems can arise and idk answer if u connect more than 1 monitor to ur system

hat is vsync, used to limit frames but it's only really used when there is vertical screen tearing and if ur gfx can handle it u will get high fps generally. ut should get high fps regardless cuz it's old and doesn't need much

I dont think its vsync that wish means. I know what vsync is and i dont like it at all. Gives me mouselag somehow.
Today i lock framratelimit to 60 native as the monitor support it.
Perhaps wish means there is some other way to adjust it automaticy to the fps i dunno

I now find a mega monitor btw. Did you look into this wish. Its still OK price compared to other and its given HIGH rates:
And its same brand BenQ

http://www.benq.com/product/LCD/XL2720Z

Looks REALLY nice and with 144hz and 1 ms. THAT sounds promising. Tons of inputs including DisplayPort

HMM??
Is DisplayPort better than HDMI???
Why should i use DisplayPort instead of DVi? Dont think i got DisplayPort from GFX. Or do i convert from DVI to DisplayPort?

Will the GFX manage a 144Hz monitor by the way? Or will it be perfomance problems? Wont change would it? As today if i let it run free i have 130 fps. Should be same with a 144Hz?

Plus

1ms response rate
Crystal clear image
Adequate video inputs

Minus

Finicky touch buttons
No built-in speakers
Super pricey
Conclusion
The BenQ XL2720Z is a lightning-quick, premium gaming monitor that will serve any FPS fan well, bar none."

Last edited:
It's basically same as mine, just 27" and a display port, was too big for me personally.

well i'm just saying, not that you do need it but people use it when there's tearing
example
-ur game runs at w/e 100fps
-ur monitor is set to 60hz
if u get tearing what vsync does is cap ur fps at ur monitor refresh rate so u'd get 60 fps

i know what you mean but vsync gives me strange lag.

YOu can do it in ini file to lock framrate instead. Way better. I do that today as i get tearing + weird shit going on if i let fps run free at 130 fps.
Need to lock it to 60 to make it smooth

HMM??
Is DisplayPort better than HDMI???
Why should i use DisplayPort instead of DVi? Dont think i got DisplayPort from GFX. Or do i convert from DVI to DisplayPort?

Will the GFX manage a 144Hz monitor by the way? Or will it be perfomance problems? Wont change would it? As today if i let it run free i have 130 fps. Should be same with a 144Hz?

Thanks for link Temper.

Ive now decided to get

1 gaming monitor
with TN / LED 144Hz and low ms 1-2 and 1920*1080 resolution. Like wish said i can set refresh rate in windows to 120Hz in windows setting and lock fps in unrealt tournament.ini file to 120 so its 1:1. That should work out fine. Today its 60/60 1:1

hopefully that turns out nice in UT. Well see. Dunno yet which monitor to get. Its either ASUS or BENQ. OD and Disc got the ASUS one.
ASUS VG278HE

2 footie monitors on the side
IPS PLS monitor with nice colours and brightness for surf and movies and footie.
Not good to game on but really nice to work on and watch PL etc.

Just need to figure out which ones now. :)
My first resarch was to buy 3 of same brand and model number. But that suxx hard as i use them to diffrent things.
Luckily i didnt do this.

My new monitor is an EIZO. 5 years warranty and zero pixel errors. For a gaming monitor very good image quality and response times. My problem with UT is now best possible solved. I still think how to do it better but also a big help was to use the MSI afterburner and riva tuner which does limit the maximal framerate also under opengl. For the renderer I am still using the http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/