UT4 Prealpha, what you think?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Ba]V[sE

Mar 13, 2002
Sweden
*edit, New Build out 22/8!

Hello :satan: I´m back hahaha!

I have been playing UT4 pre Alpha for some days (alot :rolleyes: ) and wanted to start a little discussion about the
movements, weapons etc. Don´t know how many of you that actually plays it yet?

As the game is know I think the movement speed is to fast (sprint?). I often end up with enemies that run away with low HP and someone else steal my kills. Because the movement is so fast and its easy to run away. It feels also that everyone is using RL and minigun because to use other weapons is hard with this speed. Anyone now how fast it is compairing to UT99?

About movement skills, I think its good double jump is gone.
Walldodge i cant decide yet, dont see much people use it right now because the speed is so high anyway.
The dodgeroll is kinda cool new move, but dont effect DM so much, more in CTF and AS maybe.
Wallslide I dont like really.
Do we need more than jump, dodge and crouch?

Now its more jumping/flying/sprint around instead of strafe/dodge/aim. The slower tha game is more aimbased it is?

Weapons:
Minigun is good
Rl is good but i miss the 6rocket load :satan:
Sniper is not hitscan but projectile and it sux... really hard to HS.
Shock is good first, but secondary ball is so slow compared to the movement speed atm.
Flack is :rofl:
Bio is actually pretty strong and usefull.
Linkgun is ok.
Hammer is working with jumps
Enforcer is very dodgy, like it sprays the bullet!

Hammerjumps, ok
RLJumps, ok
RL launches?
Hammerlaunches?
Liftjumps is ok but i think the lifts is moving to fast
Hammerjumps on lifts dont work atm

Wanna test the game, go to:
http://www.prounreal.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=82211&sid=a8433f8d9f536da000a8e1a6525d756e
DL the game and you can find keybindings quality settings etc.

Last edited:
looks like we can hopefully beat the dust out of this forum soon:)

just had a 5 minutes run in it,

and yes it feels a bit fast
didn´t try any of those trick wall jump thingys yet

let´s hope we can launch with that hammer
ye, and rockets only 3 kinda sux

timo made a dual rocket launcher (2 hands) a few years back
it was quite funny to launch with 12 rockets instead of six :lol:

i find the flak ball a bit dull
makes it hard to do my loved long range "baseball head shots"

i smell mapping :drool:
need to find out how that ED worx asap :D

Need a Linux build...

How many rockets does the RL shoot at full load? If it's the same as 2k4/7 (3 I think) then rocket launches are probably out of the question until we can mod ourseves a better one.

Also, does it have a cluster option?

i totally agree about the running speed. In DM it ends up really spammy, since you can't really duel face to face.

Neither the opponents just runs away nor in a few seconds someone other is here and steals your kill.

Yes people really use a lot the rocketlauncher. Because it's best to spam in , when some others are trying to fight. (see above). And with other weapons like the sniper you can't really hit. The sniper because it's projectile and for shock single fire you need 3 hits to kill someone with full health.

I can't really complain about the movement. the dodging feels fine and the walldodge is now and than okay to use. It's not like ppl only walldodge. And for gods sake it's no remake of UT99.... But we should be happy that things like doublejump, dodgejump is gone.

apart of what i said about the weapons above:

The RL is fine, but maybe a bit overpowered. The linkgun and minigun secondary could do a bit more damage. Combo of shock, flak, bio etc. is okay the way it is.

If the walking speed drops down a bit it would be great and we need some Assaultmod we could try. I kinda feel active playing an Unreal Tournament again.

looking forward.

we should mention about the walking speed in this thread https://forums.unrealtournament.com/showthread.php?11401-Non-Epic-Playtest-Feedback/page10 .

maybe if a lot say the same they will hear us.

give it a go !

Last edited:
Assault is going to come!

The latest build 22/8 is better but the sniper sux and RL is very powerful. I think the game is also to fast atm.
The netcode is not good atm but it´s a pre-alpha... so its VERY early yet.
Its big difference to play DM and Assault speedwise. Is you have to much ground speed it will be hard to defend bases. :satan:

what exactly is the status of assault? does that anybody know?

EDIT:

As far as i can see, we need to bring up launching in the weapon->impact Hammer section on the unreal tournanent 4 Forum.

It's often discussed in the gamemod section, but Nobody will care there to include/Code it!

We have to Show them what we Want and how it works in ut99.

So: will anybody of you make a Little hammerlauch-Tutorial with me on a Server, so we can post this Video in the right thread?!

Pls contact me in msn for it. I think that is the only Chance we have to bring it in.

Last edited:
Ba]V[sE;1631929 said:
I have posted some about the hammerlaunch etc...

i see. but i really think this posts will be overseen easily.

we should demonstrate with a video. Gives much more attention !

its obvious now that they dont want to go back to the roots on unreal tournament 99 mechanics. So i have little hope for this game.

will try it though, but not sure if its worth upgrading my gfx card just to try it out!

its obvious now that they dont want to go back to the roots on unreal tournament 99 mechanics. So i have little hope for this game.

will try it though, but not sure if its worth upgrading my gfx card just to try it out!

i play the pre-alpha almost every day. so far it doesn't feel bad at all. All depends about the assault mod and launching with impact hammer. I doubt they will add vehicles.

When is assault coming? :satan:
The latest build 5 sept is much better and they changed Sniper to hitscan.

I have seen some videos of the gameplay and I quite like it so far. It looks clean, balanced and fun to play.

Sniper fire rate seems a bit slow and looks hard to play with close range. But might be a little bit different now they changed it to hitscan?
Flak looks more random than ever, rox a bit overpowered and the shock rifle seems less powerfull compared to 99.

Still prealpha but looks promising ;)

Oh ya anyone know the specs required for playing prealpha and/or final game? And is there a date the final game expected to be finished?