New Unreal Tournament [Real, not speculation]

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

It certainly sounds like it could be a true sequel to UT99 with proper assault. Maybe it will be chance for me to play assault again without bots :) since I appear to live on the wrong side of the world to play assault.

Heh I almost feel self conscious only having 2 posts on this forum...

I guess that depends on where you live. On the old North American assault servers we were frequently joined by a guy from Hong Kong, some Australians, and there's a guy talking about setting up a new server in Seattle, Washington which should give good ping to people in the far corners of the world. Feel free to PM me for details!

As others have pointed out, forums are free, but source access costs. Means the incentive is low for developers like us who won't be making much in the way of money from it... But I guess if people are passionate enough, then it's not a massive amount.

I'd give it a few months to get traction before signing up for developer access tbh.

I'd pay for Assault/LAS when/if I ever have money again :D

I think it's worth pointing out that UE4 no longer supports uScript which can be a pain in the ass for some UE1 developers who haven't used it. They have a new feature called "Blueprints" though which is semi-intuitive, and if you're comfortable with C++ you can modify the engine fairly easily.

Lack of uscript at the engine level isn't a major issue, especially when I'm seeing commits talked about, involving the ability to quickly add open source scripting languages like lua... It wouldn't take much for someone to implement uscript if there's enough need for it (but I'm doubting there will be).

Last edited:
Im quite excited about new UT, as long as there's assault and no vechicles it'll be good. (hopefully with some help of uta.net players)

sup puggerz!

Lack of uscript at the engine level isn't a major issue, especially when I'm seeing commits talked about, involving the ability to quickly add open source scripting languages like lua... It wouldn't take much for someone to implement uscript if there's enough need for it (but I'm doubting there will be).

The blueprints feature seems to do away with the need for uScript, but on a game-based-development perspective it's nice to have a basic scripting language to help people modify in-game content not on the game engine level once the game is released

The Assault discussion has already begun!
Some UTA players already defending UT99 assault from the UT2k4.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?5018-UT04-Assault-game-mode

I cannot believe how people want 2k4 assault or say it's not important at all when they've never played... and compare it to battlefield/planetside. fucking morons.

Those forums make me rage so hard. All it takes is for someone to mention the shield gun. :hangover:

Can we start our own country where it's legally allowed to abort people once they ask for a shield gun?

Im quite excited about new UT, as long as there's assault and no vechicles it'll be good. (hopefully with some help of uta.net players)
Get organized! voice your opinion! drown out the 2k4 opinions, bring pitchforks! and fire!;)

Uta will have to voice it's opinion in this matter if we want to be heard.
There are a lot of us so together we can stand strong.

If you check the suggested maplist to remake, there is not a handful of UT99 AS-maps in there.
Rook, Overlord yes, but not a single custom map.

Also read a man's reaction on the Assault question to NOT implement the impact hammer. In his opinion it ruins the gameplay 'bcause pro's finish the game in 20secs with exploits and unknown tricks'. Made me chuckle :P

If people, developers are serious about joining the party and making a stand for UTA's sake in making maps and creating content. I think it's a good idea maybe to have a UT collection, like servers back in the day, to support them in a few extra months of coding/creating....

Last edited:
The point is that utas99 physics won't prevent you from creating an linear map at all. We have fairly linear maps that did not rely so much on launcing that where fun to play (e.g. desertstorm).

An author could simpy make an inside map or preventing alternative routes. (A door between the bridge and final assault entrance and the explosives in as-bridge And boom, you got yourself an as2k4 map

However the reverse (using utas2k4 physics) wil make all maps lineair. Hence if you look at it objectively ut99 will give you both options whereas 2k4 only gives you 1.

One problem with not uscript is finding examples that we can use.

Compare:
With uscript:

I want to make a window (maybe xconsole or whatever), so I decompile the uscript from some of the packages and see how windows are made.

With C++:
It's impossible to decompile binaries into source code effectively. So I have to pay monthly for the source code.

And I'd need to get the source whenever something major changes in it.

If people, developers are serious about joining the party and making a stand for UTA's sake in making maps and creating content.
I think we need to be honest about the state of development in UTA. It's limited to Quasi and Timo. Maybe someone else knows C++?

I think it's a good idea maybe to have a UT collection, like servers back in the day, to support them in a few extra months of coding/creating....
What exactly do you mean by this?

and join #utapug :)

Even Uzi joined now =)

<UTAPugbot> 7Status: letter l :: 2Captaincy mode random :: Launch protection False :: 7 maps :: 12 players 7needed :: 4current players (10) :2 1) l-sphr 2) l-prom 3) l-dj 4) l-ogo 5) l-ant 6) l-kaka 7) l-killa 8) l-hudz^^ 9) l-cbg 10) l-zi

Last edited:
It's impossible to decompile binaries into source code effectively. So I have to pay monthly for the source code.

And I'd need to get the source whenever something major changes in it.

I got the itch after looking at some UE4 videos (completely going against my own advice), so dumped a month into it.

The month has given me source access and updates for that period, but also after that period (if i cancel) I still have full access to the source at that version (which won't change too much once stable), plus lifetime access to the editor.

Also, I've been playing with Blueprints quite a bit, and there's plenty we can do with just that. Once weapons and a basic UI are in, I'm fairly comfortable we can do the rest through the APIs.

I've already started work on some Assault style codebits (better triggers, basic fortstandards), ahead of the game type work coming from Epic.

Mapping is so much easier now too, none of this building shit, it all happens on the fly. The only downside is my lack of creativity when it comes to proper 3D modelling. I'm still of the UT99 school of mapping with basic shapes.

Gonna need some people with experience of Blender or similar; or somewhere where we can get pre-built assets I guess?

Last edited:
I got the itch after looking at some UE4 videos (completely going against my own advice), so dumped a month into it.

The month has given me source access and updates for that period, but also after that period (if i cancel) I still have full access to the source at that version (which won't change too much once stable), plus lifetime access to the editor.

Also, I've been playing with Blueprints quite a bit, and there's plenty we can do with just that. Once weapons and a basic UI are in, I'm fairly comfortable we can do the rest through the APIs.

I've already started work on some Assault style codebits (better triggers, basic fortstandards), ahead of the game type work coming from Epic.

Mapping is so much easier now too, none of this building shit, it all happens on the fly. The only downside is my lack of creativity when it comes to proper 3D modelling. I'm still of the UT99 school of mapping with basic shapes.

Gonna need some people with experience of Blender or similar; or somewhere where we can get pre-built assets I guess?

:thumb: mate!