Custom Maps

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Custom maps?

• Total voters
I personally don't have much against the custom maps in general. Sure I like the classics better, but as long as everyone knows the map and how to do tactics it's fine. Despite some balance issues, I'd rather play scarab or nali than, say desolate ( a map i dont like for reasons i can't really explain.)

But it's as smant said, if noone has problems playing more than the 1 custom map per captain (or 2 from the same if the other captain agrees (apparantly)) then it's fine. I think by now we can manage to be mature about these sort of things.

I remember having similar argument few years ago with html....the days when he wanted custom after custom. Thought the rules were sorted quite nicely by mc back then, obviously still hard for some people to follow.

BUT i can´t fix/balance/finish them if i don´t get any good feedback as u can see in the map release threads

You know I've always been more than supportive of your efforts Che, but you haven't been around since I came back and somewhere during that time period I determined that I don't like the way some of your maps play, despite the fact that they're gorgeous and well-thought out. Nalicolony, for example, has a ridiculously imbalanced ratio between attacker and defense spawns, and nearly everything is wrong with the 'scarab' in Scarab, as the entrance to ship is 3ft wide and minigun easily prrrt >. Then Final switch is just jokingly too easy to acquire. If you want to talk on IRC sometime or runthrough on my server I can give more specific feedback. My apologies for offense.

You know I've always been more than supportive of your efforts Che, but you haven't been around since I came back and somewhere during that time period I determined that I don't like the way some of your maps play, despite the fact that they're gorgeous and well-thought out. Nalicolony, for example, has a ridiculously imbalanced ratio between attacker and defense spawns, and nearly everything is wrong with the 'scarab' in Scarab, as the entrance to ship is 3ft wide and minigun easily prrrt >. Then Final switch is just jokingly too easy to acquire. If you want to talk on IRC sometime or runthrough on my server I can give more specific feedback. My apologies for offense.

Thats completely wrong imo.
People need to play new maps do adjust to them. Its always the same. You cant really blame the map if it isnt "really bad" like some maps are. The Temple map on Pugserver atm is quiet bad cause you spawn billion miles away from attackers. And you need to run for ages to defend again. Thats a bad "map" due to the map construction.

BUT the maps you are refering to is not bad.

About NALI:
People starting to like it more and more as they play it more. New launches are implemented and the end is really intense.
We played it 6v6 the other day and it was great. The train part is perfect balanced lately. Every objective is fun to attack and you can be tricky to get the objectives. This map will be liked by most players withing a year trust me. I will keep on picking this map and those of you who complains about fps problems 2013 just buy a new fucking computer man.....

About SCARAB:
entrance to ship is 3ft wide and minigun easily prrrt >. Then Final switch is just jokingly too easy to acquire
Same here. You just need to adjust to the map so your wrong here really. There is 3 ways into ship so you dont need to go through the 3ft wide prrrt door. 9/10 times i get the doorlower ship obj with boots jumping in pads route and then down. Easy,
About end defense you need to adjust to this aswell. Its really good AND can be defended for ages if you do correct tacs at end. This goes with every map and it takes ages before ppl understand what tacs are best to defend the obj. Most of the times many years with some maps. To defend this obh you need 4 guys pushing forward to take of the belt and armor and boot guy as much as possible before he gets close to final obj. This way he might not have +150 when he enters ship.

The other tacs i did the other day in a 6v6 i held last obj for 4 minutes. As the attackers gets Hangar Doors it takes 7 seconds before attackers gets new spawn. This way the defender can "steal" their belt from lift and take al shock and rock from high room. Then he can enter ship low and fall back to last obj with full belt and shock rifle. I did this and it was REALLY effective. Full SB and 40 shock + rox at end. Killed boot guy 5-6 times with shock as he cant get final before i killed him.

You just need to adjust to the map and find out diffrent ways of how to attack and defend the objectives.
Just cause the last obj are attacked fast for most of times it might not be the same withing a years when peopl know how to prevent it. LIke i did.

Buy a new computer to cater for FPS issues on a 14 year old game? Hardly selling the idea of trying new maps with daft suggestions like that...

Fair play for your consistency in picking the map however.

i used to like the first part of scarab, "enemy base objective", but now im noticing that its getting worse with the sniper cover of attackers. The other objectives are bit of random rubbish tbh.

Hangar doors: To big, to wide for my liking, team is either going high, or low and there's no coordination. Even the defence is split miles apart. I prefer it when its a bit tighter and people have each others backs (both attack and defence - this makes it a bit more of a team game). Sure you can pull off some launch to switch and call it "teamplay" i guess but that's just 2 guys.

How many times have you seen a team push 2/3 together at the hangar switch? Its nearly always a solo guy that somehow got some space and maybe got a bit lucky. Bit like Mazon I guess, which isnt a popular map. Not saying its a completely crap objective but, think its a bit boring for assault.

The ship part: maybe there can be some improvements when people begin learning a bit more how to defend, but at the moment I see defenders just rushing trying to make as much damage as they can. (maybe 1 or 2 people back). Its a rush objective, you cant settle as defence, theres not coordination here!

Attackers plough into the ship, maybe 1 goes high and asks for the door to open, But otherwise its boots+armor and run in behind team mates and get objective.

Its ok though, but not a "complete" map to the scale of ballistic/autorip

better then golg2 though!

Last edited:
Thats completely wrong imo.
People need to play new maps do adjust to them. Its always the same. You cant really blame the map if it isnt "really bad" like some maps are. The Temple map on Pugserver atm is quiet bad cause you spawn billion miles away from attackers. And you need to run for ages to defend again. Thats a bad "map" due to the map construction.

BUT the maps you are refering to is not bad.

About NALI:
People starting to like it more and more as they play it more. New launches are implemented and the end is really intense.
We played it 6v6 the other day and it was great. The train part is perfect balanced lately. Every objective is fun to attack and you can be tricky to get the objectives. This map will be liked by most players withing a year trust me. I will keep on picking this map and those of you who complains about fps problems 2013 just buy a new fucking computer man.....

About SCARAB:

Same here. You just need to adjust to the map so your wrong here really. There is 3 ways into ship so you dont need to go through the 3ft wide prrrt door. 9/10 times i get the doorlower ship obj with boots jumping in pads route and then down. Easy,
About end defense you need to adjust to this aswell. Its really good AND can be defended for ages if you do correct tacs at end. This goes with every map and it takes ages before ppl understand what tacs are best to defend the obj. Most of the times many years with some maps. To defend this obh you need 4 guys pushing forward to take of the belt and armor and boot guy as much as possible before he gets close to final obj. This way he might not have +150 when he enters ship.

The other tacs i did the other day in a 6v6 i held last obj for 4 minutes. As the attackers gets Hangar Doors it takes 7 seconds before attackers gets new spawn. This way the defender can "steal" their belt from lift and take al shock and rock from high room. Then he can enter ship low and fall back to last obj with full belt and shock rifle. I did this and it was REALLY effective. Full SB and 40 shock + rox at end. Killed boot guy 5-6 times with shock as he cant get final before i killed him.

You just need to adjust to the map and find out diffrent ways of how to attack and defend the objectives.
Just cause the last obj are attacked fast for most of times it might not be the same withing a years when peopl know how to prevent it. LIke i did.

Some good feedback, thank you DJ. I still don't think that spawns on Nali are decent (sneez can definitely support this anecdotally) but hopefully with updates it can be played better. Che's additions to things like LavaSE have been good and I shouldn't have been so hypercritical.

1. technically 3 'non league' maps were picked, nevermind there is no league, nevermind the maps picked actually play well

Dunno why everyone still bother to call them league maps, just find a different label and change the rules on some of them. Rook is fun, yet it's probably one of the most broken maps on the list yet you can pick it as much as you want, same (altho to a lesser degree) goes for RivSE.

There's also too many variables in certain maps like Frigate/Siege/Golga2 etc which are always considered to be 'luckbased', yet find yourself 6 ppl with mics/brains and all of those 3 suddently feel alot more balanced.

On a side note, I miss O-MG and Waterfort :f

CBG has a point. We should just skip the "leauge map" and "custom map" talk and use diffrent rules for the pickings. This is a really good suggestion. I missed Spheres comment on page 2 which i reallly liked and is a good change. Although with some minor changes on the maps. Not many agreed on most of them.

If we do it this way its easier for everyone to know which maps are "OK" to pick as a captain. And RiverbedSE and Astenosphere is not really a custom map cause everyone knows the map and how its played. I also thought that sphere put some other maps in the "As many as you want" section is a good idea like scarab and dustbowl. They are usuallly picked anyways and people knows how its played.

This will make things easier aswell and we can play with the rules that its MAX 1 map per captain like most of you want from the section 2 below.

-------- CAPTAIN can pick as many as you want from these maps

1.AS-AutoRip
2.AS-Ballistic
3.AS-Bridge
4.AS-Desertstorm
5.AS-Desolate][
6.AS-GolgothaAL
7.AS-Golgotha][AL
8.AS-Riverbed]l[AL
9.AS-Siege][
10.AS-TheDungeon]l[AL
11.AS-Submarinebase][
12.AS-Frigate
13.AS-RiverbedSE
14.AS-AsthenosphereSE
15.AS-TheScarabSE
16.AS-DustbowlALRev04

--------- 1 per captain max

17.AS-Mazon
18.AS-Rook
19.AS-HiSpeed
20.AS-Vampire
21.AS-SaqqaraPE_preview3
22.AS-SnowDunes][AL_beta
23.AS-LostTempleBetaV2
24.AS-NaliColony_preview5
25.AS-LavaFort][PV
26.AS-NavaroneAL (Wanna keep this as its quiet good imo)
27.AS-Razon_preview3 (Wanna keep this as its quiet good imo)

--------- remove from maplist
28.AS-ColderSteelSE_beta3
29.AS-Resurrection
30.AS-WorseThings_preview
31.AS-BioassaultSE_preview2
32.AS-GekokujouAL][

This would so nice to start play with instead of how things works now.
Comments on this? This is my suggestion
27 maps to pick from thats enough. All those 27 maps are good.

Last edited:
it's just taste, i don't think i will enjoy maps like nali unless they get tweaked
i don't really like scarab either but i'd play it over siege or bridge (am really sick of those maps these days)
vampire was ok and i'd play it again, dustbowl is ok as well imo

dunno if its ok for them to be considered league tho
u kept frigate but moved rest like mazon rook hi speed to 1 per cap, make a limit of max 1 per pug of these if 1 gets picked other cap cannot pick another standard

mym would get annoyed at just ur suggestion to remove colder but i wouldn't mind others to be removed, geko is pretty bad

Remove coldersteel as still after played it 100 times i cant find my way in those corridors on 1st and second objective.
ENd is OK but rest is totally crap,

But MyM might wanna keep it as u say :)

If anything make a poll to decide whether people would like Scarab and Dustbowl to not be considered a custom anymore. Customs are customs for a reason and some people don't like playing them even though they are being picked more these days by certain people. Some people like Snowdunes for example and if they were to make the above list they'd put that in the 'pick as many times as you want' over Scarab or Dustbowl. I personally prefer GekokujouAL and Coldersteel over Scarab yet in the above list they're being suggested to be removed.

With the above changes a pug map list could consist of Dustbowl, Scarab, NaliColony, Saqquara, Asthen, RiverbedSE. Don't think many people except html would really enjoy that :spit:

In short, a list of what stays, goes, loses custom status or whatever needs to be a decision where everyone can have a say.

Last edited:
CBG has a point. We should just skip the "leauge map" and "custom map" talk and use diffrent rules for the pickings. This is a really good suggestion. I missed Spheres comment on page 2 which i reallly liked and is a good change. Although with some minor changes on the maps. Not many agreed on most of them.

If we do it this way its easier for everyone to know which maps are "OK" to pick as a captain. And RiverbedSE and Astenosphere is not really a custom map cause everyone knows the map and how its played. I also thought that sphere put some other maps in the "As many as you want" section is a good idea like scarab and dustbowl. They are usuallly picked anyways and people knows how its played.

This will make things easier aswell and we can play with the rules that its MAX 1 map per captain like most of you want from the section 2 below.

1.AS-AutoRip
2.AS-Ballistic
3.AS-Bridge
4.AS-Desertstorm
5.AS-Desolate][
6.AS-GolgothaAL
7.AS-Golgotha][AL
8.AS-Riverbed]l[AL
9.AS-Siege][
10.AS-TheDungeon]l[AL
11.AS-Submarinebase][
12.AS-Frigate
13.AS-RiverbedSE
14.AS-AsthenosphereSE
15.AS-TheScarabSE
16.AS-DustbowlALRev04

17.AS-Mazon
18.AS-Rook
19.AS-HiSpeed
20.AS-Vampire
21.AS-SaqqaraPE_preview3
22.AS-SnowDunes][AL_beta
23.AS-LostTempleBetaV2
24.AS-NaliColony_preview5
25.AS-LavaFort][PV

29.AS-Resurrection
32.AS-GekokujouAL][

This would so nice to start play with instead of how things works now.
Comments on this? This is my suggestion
27 maps to pick from thats enough. All those 27 maps are good.

I thought about this and I agree with you on all choices, except I would put frigate in list 2

In short, a list of what stays, goes, loses custom status or whatever needs to be a decision where everyone can have a say.

Totally agree.
We need the 3 sections like i posted:

Perhaps if every1 make a list like i did we could make something out of it.
Just put the restult together.
Need like 15 people to do same list as i did.

I don't remember the last time Dustbowl was picked. Must be last year? Now it's suddenly gaining non custom status. :lol:

Totally agree.
We need the 3 sections like i posted:

Perhaps if every1 make a list like i did we could make something out of it.
Just put the restult together.
Need like 15 people to do same list as i did.

Yes, this is the best idea :thumb:

So far me XB made the list. He just wants to swap the frigate map from my list.

Sphere might wanna reconsider his maps again?

If 10-15 more players do this who plays more often we could change this with MyM for the better.
Agreed?

If you make a list like this, not everyone will agree with everything. I see you also think Coldersteel should be removed, despite someone disagreeing!

Grz has made some classic assault maps such as Riverbed(s), Golgotha and Desertstorm. Navarone was made a long time after these maps, and my feeling after the first few times playing it 6v6 was that it just wasn't on the same level. To me, Navarone has always seemed to be a big, long, and meandering map, where many objectives don't feel like they have any sort of natural flow to them.

So often I'll be attacking or defending, and I'll be thinking 'ok, that switch was taken, now to go on a long journey to the next one... I think I'll eat this snack on the way there'... or, 'that charge was placed, now to run along this long-ass bridge to get to the next charge.'

Visually Navarone is a nice map, and you can tell the map-maker has a lot of experience in that regard, but it just doesn't have the well-thought-out balance and flow of some of Grz's previous maps. Perhaps the map would get somewhat better if people were forced to play it again and again, but it would take a LOT of plays for that to happen, as many objectives don't have obvious routes to one another. Even then it would probably be difficult to do decent defence positions, and for the defence to get a good grip on objectives.

Similar problems to Navarone, in that it's a big and complicated map, with many places to go and defend. I think Coldersteel is a better balanced map than Navarone, but I believe too many people just have no interest in playing it, and it's hard to justify it being in the map list. Only Mym and possibly MC would pick it, and they only play 1 pug a year each :P

Don't get me started on Razon... sticking two bad maps together doesn't suddenly make them good :hangover:

29.AS-Resurrection
32.AS-GekokujouAL][

But I like 28.AS-ColderSteelSE_beta3 and 30.AS-WorseThings_preview they are somehow diffrent and not played much... I would like to see we keep those 2 maps. But other suggestions are ok to me.