Custom Maps

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Custom maps?

• Total voters
Hehe... Personally, I wouldn't count AS-TheScarabSE as a custom anymore, same as AS-SnowDunes][AL_beta.
Scarab would have been added to league already, if that was still active?

And then you have 1 per captain max, sounds about right :D

I don't mind having Saqqara, Geko, and The Scarab in one pug. Those 3 maps are quite well known, and shouldn't be really seen as 'custom', in my opinion.

Ah, so I'm with sneez there, I think :D

geko well known? 100% of the pugs ive played with it, it was useless to defend all of the objectives except 2, the low door switch to the main castle and the last obj cuz its on top of the castle..... more than half the objectives of the map are undefendable cuz ppl get lost trying to get to them.... thats not what I call a "well known" map

for scarab im pretty sure more then half of the people dont know about the vents, that bypasses the hardest objective to get on the map..... and less than 10% of the people can set a hammer to the nest or sneak in the sniper tower.... not well known

saqqara is shitty . impossible to attack if D has a minimum of coordination

Last edited:
There's a reason the same maps get picked over and over: because they're the best maps! All maps at some point were new and people had to get used to them. If maps such as Nalicolony and Dustbowl were the best of the best, they would also get picked every pug. Instead many league and non-league maps fall in the category of 'good to play once in a while, but not every pug.'

When I'm picking I look through the maplist and go on my gut feeling about what I want to play. Sometimes I pick all 'normal' maps, but often I'll look through the maplist, see a map that hasn't been played in a while, and pick it. When I'm not in the mood to pick a custom, it is irritating to be forced to pick one. I understand why some would argue that there should be custom maps every pug to make things more interesting, but there are also people who just don't like any custom maps, and do not ever want to pick one. These people should not be margonalized and ignored simply because their taste in maps is a bit rigid.

Remove terrible maps like NaliColony and TheScarab and then allow as many custom maps. If no one picks custom maps then people pick shit maps like Bridge and Desolate.

Hehe... Personally, I wouldn't count AS-TheScarabSE as a custom anymore, same as AS-SnowDunes][AL_beta.
Scarab would have been added to league already, if that was still active?

This is part of the problem. Everyone has their own ideas about what maps are 'good', and what maps are 'bad'. Personally, I like TheScarab; I'm indifferent towards NaliColony; and I absolutely hate Snowdunes. When it comes to custom maps, that's where you get the most divided opinion. I think if there are 2 custom maps -every-single-pug- then a lot of people will be constantly playing maps they don't like, and will never get a break from being annoyed at the maplist. Imo the current system of some pugs with a custom map or two, and some pugs with none is the best and shouldn't be changed. I also think things should be kept simple by putting a 'max 1 custom per captain' rule in stone.

Edit: if anyone cares about seeing the log - http://sharetext.org/Zjp4

Last edited:
you both could have avoided this by just showing some maturity,

dj wanted 2 custom maps so asked xb nicely, xb refused to answer because he didnt want dj to get an advantage instead he asked for the 'rules', dj didnt respond with rules, talked other nonsense and bullied his 2nd custom at mappick 5? (xb had mappick 6,7).

whose right whose wrong? nobody fuckin cares.
when im captain ill try to pick maps that the other players would want to play. some people are tired of 2,3,4,5 and want lesser balanced maps fine, some people want good assault gameplay and want 2,3,4,5 no problem.

mym- can you post the pugbot.xml so we can vote/edit it ourselves?

reorder the "non league maps" so that say anything >20 can only be 1 per captain
community votes? restructuring playable newer 'nonleaguemaps' ;) <20

'max 1 custom per captain'
'custom maps defined as maps >20?'
'reorder some deserving? (voted?) maps <20

Last edited:
1.AS-AsthenosphereSE
2.AS-AutoRip
3.AS-Ballistic
4.AS-Bridge
5.AS-Desertstorm
6.AS-Desolate][
7.AS-Frigate
8.AS-GolgothaAL
9.AS-Golgotha][AL
10.AS-Mazon
11.AS-RiverbedSE
12.AS-Riverbed]l[AL
13.AS-Rook
14.AS-Siege][
15.AS-Submarinebase][

19.AS-TheDungeon]l[AL - great map made in the USA!

16?.AS-TheScarabSE - good balanced map, i call it riv3 start, mazon middle, frigate end to help the peeps
17?.AS-Vampire - fast prrt map, hugely popular in naat never played here shrug
18?.AS-HiSpeed
20?.AS-Overlord - make a pug rule you cant stand in gun cavern making it gg if attackers can coordinate a launch

-----------------------------

16.AS-SaqqaraPE_preview3 - move to custom, people know it but dont teamplay to get end very well
17.AS-SnowDunes][AL_beta - move to custom, some hate some dont mind, one person loves it :cool:
18.AS-LostTempleBetaV2 - move to custom, end spawn is meh imo rest is ok

20.AS-DustbowlALRev04 - i like it really balanced considering its so big
21.AS-NavaroneAL - ok, hillarious when grz got lost on his own map doing tactics

24.AS-ColderSteelSE_beta3
26.AS-NaliColony_preview5
27.AS-LavaFort][PV
28.AS-BioassaultSE_preview2
29.AS-Razon_preview3
30.AS-Resurrection - remove from list map needs polish
31.AS-WorseThings_preview
32.AS-GekokujouAL][ -

really couldve been appreciative towards che etc when he had the mapping bug a year ago, he wouldve polished nali, waterfort etc instead he got utbullied and left :( :(
come back che! takes us half a day to build a 2room square map and youve given us 393993 hours

Last edited:
Fixed :trout: :calm:

-------- as many as you want

1.AS-AutoRip
2.AS-Ballistic
3.AS-Bridge
4.AS-Desertstorm
5.AS-Desolate][
6.AS-GolgothaAL
7.AS-Golgotha][AL
8.AS-Riverbed]l[AL
9.AS-Siege][
10.AS-TheDungeon]l[AL
11.AS-Submarinebase][
12.AS-Frigate
13.AS-RiverbedSE
14.AS-AsthenosphereSE
15.AS-TheScarabSE
16.AS-DustbowlALRev04

--------- 1 per captain max

17.AS-Mazon
18.AS-Rook
19.AS-HiSpeed
20.AS-Vampire
21.AS-SaqqaraPE_preview3
22.AS-SnowDunes][AL_beta
23.AS-LostTempleBetaV2
24.AS-NaliColony_preview5
25.AS-LavaFort][PV
26.AS-BioassaultSE_preview2
27.AS-GekokujouAL][

--------- remove from maplist

28.AS-NavaroneAL
29.AS-ColderSteelSE_beta3
30.AS-Razon_preview3
31.AS-Resurrection
32.AS-WorseThings_preview

Last edited:
I thought it one per captain, but the other captain could pick two if the captain who wasn't choosing one agreed to it, like Mc said I guess.

Scarab is picked a lot but I'm not too keen on that map, if an attacker gets in the nest at the start and makes it down the stairs and to the right (not very hard to do cos defenders take a while to get back, and attackers get pads) it's basically a free hangar doors since the SB on the box is like 3 seconds away from the switch, and at this point its basically impossible for the defenders to kill the guy since he will always get the SB :yawn: The last objective is way too easy to get with SB and boots as well once the passage to the left of the ship opens.

yep wish that map can be exploited against unorganized d, maybe assign 2 people nest, 1 getting belt? end part you gotta spread out and put a dependable guy down the bouncer for sure...

fun map hope people get more creative though, ive rocket launched riv to hangar doors from the bottom.. me twnz went thru spawn once and you feigned your way there :), break the glass

gj messing up the order of maps sphere AAA++++! :) right idea though
16 is fine up to community input ;)

Scarab is picked a lot but I'm not too keen on that map, if an attacker gets in the nest at the start and makes it down the stairs and to the right (not very hard to do cos defenders take a while to get back, and attackers get pads) it's basically a free hangar doors since the SB on the box is like 3 seconds away from the switch, and at this point its basically impossible for the defenders to kill the guy since he will always get the SB :yawn:

Then put a defender in the elevator window and have someone help him chase?
Just like you would on balli if attackers breach nest.

Then put a defender in the elevator window and have someone help him chase?
Just like you would on balli if attackers breach nest.

Defender can easily be taken out by attackers, even by the launchee especially if he has pads. Then the attacker can get down the steps and to the SB quicker than a defender can suicide and come to help, that is the issue. Even if you are out before the attacker makes it to the SB due to an earlier call or whatever, your only hope is to primary minigun them across the room. Case in point:

Anyway, my point is once the attacker gets the SB (which will happen once they are past the bottom of the stairs because it's too far away for defenders), the objective is impossible to defend. It's nothing like Balli lol.

Last edited:
Ye, on balli, if the attacker just runs straight to warhead and you suicide immediately, you will still be waiting for him at the top of the ramp with flak. On scarab you will be late, only have mini and the attacker will have sb.

nice run wish asshole, who could stop that?

i still think it should be considered for top 20 maps cause its quite balanced and a truck set w/pads? isnt that easy to pull off?
1 nest, 1 AAA player nest-> truck taking belt as needed?

I don't see the issue. If a captain wants one of the maps they can pick one of them. If both captains want both maps, then you get to play both maps.

The problem is people have different criteria and opinions as to what should be a 'custom map' and what should not. I love coldersteel, i do not like Scarab. Shall I as admin add coldersteel just because I have a high opinion of it?

I agree we should remove extremely bad maps from the list, however you cannot please everyone with adding 'custom' maps and there will be always someone to complain.

We use the 'leagueAS' list of maps because they were proven and tested by a large player base during a time where it was almost mandatory to learn the maps. The community we have is small now and we should not put custom maps into the normal map rotation (pick as often as you like) where it will annoy people and has the potential to completely ruin a pug.

If we did that, then we would potentially end up with a scenario where Scarab and Dustbowl is selected, then on top of that two more additional custom maps. This situation is too much in my opinion.

FYI I do not know why HiSpeed has been omitted. I will get that put back in. [Ok apparently it does exist]

Last edited:
all hs while a bt perfect run with pads, vials, belt = gg
nice run twnz

teamplay whoever truckset you in

There's a reason the same maps get picked over and over: because they're the best maps! All maps at some point were new and people had to get used to them. If maps such as Nalicolony and Dustbowl were the best of the best, they would also get picked every pug. Instead many league and non-league maps fall in the category of 'good to play once in a while, but not every pug.'

When I'm picking I look through the maplist and go on my gut feeling about what I want to play. Sometimes I pick all 'normal' maps, but often I'll look through the maplist, see a map that hasn't been played in a while, and pick it. When I'm not in the mood to pick a custom, it is irritating to be forced to pick one. I understand why some would argue that there should be custom maps every pug to make things more interesting, but there are also people who just don't like any custom maps, and do not ever want to pick one. These people should not be margonalized and ignored simply because their taste in maps is a bit rigid.

This is part of the problem. Everyone has their own ideas about what maps are 'good', and what maps are 'bad'. Personally, I like TheScarab; I'm indifferent towards NaliColony; and I absolutely hate Snowdunes. When it comes to custom maps, that's where you get the most divided opinion. I think if there are 2 custom maps -every-single-pug- then a lot of people will be constantly playing maps they don't like, and will never get a break from being annoyed at the maplist. Imo the current system of some pugs with a custom map or two, and some pugs with none is the best and shouldn't be changed. I also think things should be kept simple by putting a 'max 1 custom per captain' rule in stone.

Edit: if anyone cares about seeing the log - http://sharetext.org/Zjp4
Good post, but nothing will change the fact that nalicolony is unplayable. I have a gripe with the gameplay of not of Che's maps I've come to realize.

Fixed :trout: :calm:

-------- as many as you want

1.AS-AutoRip
2.AS-Ballistic
3.AS-Bridge
4.AS-Desertstorm
5.AS-Desolate][
6.AS-GolgothaAL
7.AS-Golgotha][AL
8.AS-Riverbed]l[AL
9.AS-Siege][
10.AS-TheDungeon]l[AL
11.AS-Submarinebase][
12.AS-Frigate
13.AS-RiverbedSE
14.AS-AsthenosphereSE
15.AS-TheScarabSE
16.AS-DustbowlALRev04

--------- 1 per captain max

17.AS-Mazon
18.AS-Rook
19.AS-HiSpeed
20.AS-Vampire
21.AS-SaqqaraPE_preview3
22.AS-SnowDunes][AL_beta
23.AS-LostTempleBetaV2
24.AS-NaliColony_preview5
25.AS-LavaFort][PV
26.AS-BioassaultSE_preview2
27.AS-GekokujouAL][

--------- remove from maplist

28.AS-NavaroneAL
29.AS-ColderSteelSE_beta3
30.AS-Razon_preview3
31.AS-Resurrection
32.AS-WorseThings_preview
As the first non Grz to play Navarone I feel I should come to its defense by saying it is incredibly playable should people take the time to learn spawns. Very very balanced actually!