Custom Maps

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Custom maps?

• Total voters

X-Bomb

Aug 16, 2001
London
Some people think its think its fair to force the other captains hand and MAKE him pick a custom map even if he doesnt want to, in fear of ending up with AS-poodlepie5 the other captain then has to pick a custom map which he might not even want to play. This is wrong.

If I'm captain I will pick the maps I want, should not be influenced by the other captain.

"Constantly asking are you going to pick a custom?" so that he can pick 2 or force you to pick 1.

I say cut out the nonsense and make it 1 custom per captain, then there is no argument

So heres the poll.

Last edited:
It depends on which custom map is picked.

I don't mind having Saqqara, Geko, and The Scarab in one pug. Those 3 maps are quite well known, and shouldn't be really seen as 'custom', in my opinion.

It gets complicated when the 'shitty' custom maps are getting picked.

So I didn't vote, because these options are too limited.

Last edited:
That's a weird poll.

The ideal (imo) would be:
Limit of two per pug. Captains can pick one each, but if one of them declines to pick one, the other can pick both.

That's a weird poll.

The ideal (imo) would be:
Limit of two per pug. Captains can pick one each, but if one of them declines to pick one, the other can pick both.

This is just what happend this night but clearly XB wanted to start something "again".
Hes been awaysfor 3-4 months and suddenly forgot everything. Strange

And also starting other discussion with that i picked 3 custom maps. Asten is a league map and i know that you know that. Just to stir even more.....

The rules that we played with over the years has been what Ulv posted. The thing whatt happend this night was because you had the last 2 map picks and i had 0 maps after that.
I had alreayd picked my custom map and as i want 2 custom maps cause bored of all league maps, i asked you to pick one. This was just to be sure that we play 2 custom maps. 2 out of 7 is not that much and all custom maps are known like Scarab and Nali. Its not like a huge "WTF IS THIS MAP". 2 Maps a pug aint really much escpeicially when the custom maps are as good as they are.

I even let you have the option to pick what ever custom map you wanted, check logs. Instead you started arguing and stirring complaning i already picked 2 with asten. As i clearly know how you behave i picked the 2nd as i knew you wouldnt pick one. This was after a long discussion. This has NEVER happend before cause when i ask i.e twnz he always agreed with me which custom map to play as 2nd. Either he or me picked it. Never a problem

But with you, you just wanting to start arguements and make sure its in the rules. just grow up and pick next time. 2 Custom is not much.

OH and you dont need to pick 2 custom if both captains DONT want to play any customs. Its up to them. BUT if one of the captains wants to play 2 custom maps, you need to solve that within the mappick. Easy as that and as Ulv posted.

End of story and to few poll suggestions.

Last edited:
That's the current rule (according to some) but as I said, captain A can pick a custom then force captain B to pick a custom (even if he doesn't want) to due to fear that if he doesn't. captain A picking another custom that could be something ridiculous.

Should be 1 each, nice and simple

Nice long post, but as I said, your putting someone in an awkward position, and there is your fault

Long post != win

not really force. I asked you to pick 1 as i wanted 2. You clearly started arguing instead so i picked the 2nd custom. Not that hard is it. We almost always play 2 custom maps the thing is i picked both this time.
You ended up picking 2 leauge maps so its not like it was 4 custom maps.

If you talk to the other captain next time and deal with him instead of arguing this would never happend.
And if i was supposed to be the blue captain isntead of the red captain (means im picking the last 2 maps) this would never of happend as i could of picked it.

Btw you got to pick 4 maps and me 3 maps so its not like it was in my favour anyway.

Perhaps we should let the pug bot random pick 2 custom each pug instead and letting captains pick the other 5 maps.
This way you dont need to deal with ur silly arguements.

2013 and you still only want to play league maps and start arguements in utapug and forum

:x

It's your opinion I'm tying to argue, I'm not trying to argue with you. I disagree with you, and I'm pointing out the flaw in the map picking process. The problem here is if you post anything in the forum it's seen as whining. It wont be long before the jpgs start coming out.

U know it really can be 1 custom for each captain, and if you want to pick 2 you could always just ask the other captain if they don't mind you picking another, this forced method is just annoying cause neither captain gets what they want.

This is my last post here, you can argue with yourself from here

Last edited:
nobody should be forced to do anything
keep the current system of 2 per pug
imo maps that are 90%+ same as league maps like astheno lava riv3 etc shouldnt count as custom ...

now if it was all up to me:

there should be NO LIMIT to ''custom'' maps per pug
what would be awesome actually would be an option to get 7 random maps from the maplist pool each pug

also
don't like a captain who picks a lot of custom maps he likes ? #Captainyourself
don't know a custom map ? #2013

Remove terrible maps like NaliColony and TheScarab and then allow as many custom maps. If no one picks custom maps then people pick shit maps like Bridge and Desolate.

As it stands now people keep picking the same maps every pug, and there's nothing wrong with mixing things up a little bit. It's 2013 and people have had time to learn maps.

I do not have all the logs of what happened last night.

However, let me be clear on the rule: Maximum 2 Custom Maps per PUG. 1 per captain, unless agreed via the two captains that one of them can pick two.

The rule was intended to ensure that those who are not big on the 'custom maps' are able to enjoy playing maps they know and still have a competitive game.

I'm sorry DJ but you cannot force XB to pick his last map. If he was not willing to pick a second custom then you are stuck with the one custom map. However if XB wanted to be vocal, then at the beginning if he was not against the idea could have alllowed you to pick 2.

The rule has never been about enforcing 2 if the other captain does not agree. Then the essence of the rule is gone.

This is first time this happens and why?

1: Its XB on the other cap mode whos gonna argue with everthing. Never happend to me before with any other cap.
Every1 else agreed on 2 and with communication 2 maps were decided.

2: Rules was applied and discussed in utapug that if one captain wants 2 custom it should be 2 custom maps. If the other captain does not pick 1 the other can pick 2. THe problem is that the other captain who doesnt want a custom picks last. Thats why i asked and which i always done. This has never been a problem.

As you can see in the comments ppl want to play more custom maps. IMO just force 2 custom maps each pug.
ppl pld the leauge maps for 14 years now. TIme for a change.

Easiest way to solve this is FORCE captains picking 1 custom map each. SImple as that.
Would make things easier and every1 who wants to play more new maps more njoyable.
Its still 5 old maps in the pug......

If 1 of the captain does not want he still has to pick the custom map but he can pick it as hes last map. Perhaps the pug is finished before this map is pld....

Who likes this idea? I do.

Not been around for a very long time but i feel the rule should be limit it to 2 (keep the rule as it is) a PUG because allot of people generally hate playing a string of customs over 7 maps. And captains shouldn't be forced to pick a custom if they don't want to (like i guess what DJ was trying to make XB do from the text here)

As Mc said its 2 per match, you can't really force someone into picking a custom map although I will agree it puts you in a weaker position if you have first map choice and they aren't being helpful with informing you what they are planning to do.

There have been people in the past that have had first map choice and picked 2 customs even though they know the other captain wants a custom so the system is certainly open to abuse. It won't run completely smoothly with the way it currently is but I don't see any other totally satisfactory option either, I wouldn't pick a custom if I was captain as I still don't know the maps well enough so it would be impossible to do tactics for them..

Only way to learn new maps is to play them. You still get to play 5 original maps each pug.
Id say force cap to pick 1 each each pug. They can decide in what order they want to pick it.
Might not even be played if its over fast enough.

Some maps arnt that "custom" either. Just look at RiverbedSE. A custom map but almost like the original. not hard doing tacs on those. So if you are a captain and forced to pick 1 just pick the easier custom to make tacs on. Even you MyM could do tacs on RIverbedSE :)

Not everyone likes custom maps , so forcing 2 EVERY pug might annoy allot of people as some people just prefer 7 old maps, and some prefer custom maps allot, so i think the rule is fine as it is , you just need to ask the captain if he would like to pick 2 customs as you enjoy playing them !

if you pick 2 customs EVERY PUG it might stop some people pugging! just my opinion x

Yeah, lets force people to pick maps they dont want to. I'd just end up picking resurrection as a first map everytime I would be captain, so you have 30 minutes to think about what you've done

ITs not like you not played these maps

Resurection IS not in the list

<UTAPugbot> Server map list is: 101.AS-AsthenosphereSE 2.AS-AutoRip 3.AS-Ballistic 4.AS-Bridge 5.AS-Desertstorm 6.AS-Desolate][ 7.AS-Frigate
<UTAPugbot> 10 8.AS-GolgothaAL 9.AS-Golgotha][AL 10.AS-Mazon 11.AS-RiverbedSE 12.AS-Riverbed]l[AL 13.AS-Rook 14.AS-Siege][
<UTAPugbot> 10 15.AS-Submarinebase][ 16.AS-SaqqaraPE_preview3 17.AS-SnowDunes][AL_beta 18.AS-LostTempleBetaV2 19.AS-TheDungeon]l[AL
<UTAPugbot> 10 20.AS-DustbowlALRev04 21.AS-NavaroneAL 22.AS-TheScarabSE 23.AS-Vampire 24.AS-ColderSteelSE_beta3 25.AS-HiSpeed
<UTAPugbot> 10 26.AS-NaliColony_preview5 27.AS-LavaFort][PV 28.AS-BioassaultSE_preview2 29.AS-Razon_preview3 30.AS-Resurrection
<UTAPugbot> 10 31.AS-WorseThings_preview 32.AS-GekokujouAL][