Post an interesting link (ongoing)...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

that bullshit useless

The safety of aspartame has been the subject of several political and medical controversies, congressional hearings and Internet hoaxes[3][4][5] since its initial approval for use in food products by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1981.[6] A 2007 medical review on the subject concluded that "the weight of existing scientific evidence indicates that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a non-nutritive sweetener".

The potential health risks have been examined and dismissed by numerous scientific research projects. With the exception of the risk to those with phenylketonuria, aspartame is considered to be a safe food additive by governments, worldwide, and major health and food safety organizations.[2][10][11][12][13] with FDA officials describing aspartame as "one of the most thoroughly tested and studied food additives the agency has ever approved" and its safety as "clear cut".[4] The weight of existing scientific evidence indicates that aspartame is safe as a non-nutritive sweetener

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

First of all, you can't just cry 'bullshit' like someone slapping a trump card on a table, especially if you then follow it up by citing that Mecca of journalistic integrity, Wikipedia :bowdown: Second, my faith in the veracity of what the FDA say about aspartame is pretty shaky, given that its employees have been known to leave the FDA to go and work for Searle, the people who make Nutrasweet whose crucial ingredient is - wait for it - aspartame.

For safety's sake I think I'll avoid that particular ingredient, despite what the Wiki boffins advise.

Useless you sound like the conspiracy nuts who claim the us government engineered 9/11 and that they used explosives to demolish the towers "because theres just no way they would collapse that quickly"

-yes there are shady things going on around aspartame
-yes there are shady things going on around 9/11

but guess what the collapse of the WTC is one of the most studied critical collapse in all of the civil engineering faculties all over the world...... if the collapse didn't make sense "without explosive demolition" we would know about it...

same logic applies to aspartme, it's one of the most studied food additive out there...

by the way my company is subject to both FDA and EMA (through the OECD) regulations and inspections ; so even if the FDA WAS corrupt they couldnt buy out the EMA that is more severe AND totally independent

now i heard recently that a serious study had been done on sugar substitutes in soft drinks like coca-cola lite/diet
i believe it was over 20 years so it was pretty damn serious and funny enough the lite/diet drinks with little to no sugar did NOT favor weight loss and even slightly increased type 2 diabetes risks, they are still wondering why

so im not saying aspartame is awesome (i dont like the taste either) but i sure as hell am not scared to consume it once in a while

Last edited:
edit: for the record I'm not a fan of "sugar-free" products. Most of them taste terrible compared to their regular versions.

Actualy id prefere diet coke > Zero > normal any time tastewise.

Those gives some interesting hints on sugar surrogates. Consider that virtualy all of em are easily compareable to sugar in kcal values but normal coke comes at about 45kcal/100ml were zero and diet have almost 0kcal (<0,25kcal) and even caffein and organic acids containt at least some energy... its prety clear that theres just MUCH less sugar replacement in it then there would be sugar.

The no weight lost thing is due to the fact, that those substances are so similar to sugar in biochemistry that they trigger insuline production but without the sugar that would interact with it. Resulting in low bloodsugar levels and then in hunger for something sweet.
Its possible to counter that effect with either lots of discipline or long time habituation.

Diabetes type 2 is linked with fat and sugar metabolism and a jumpy blood sugar and insuline level aint exactly helping with your HBA1C index so i guess that could cause that.

Well, I dunno, I'm no expert obviously. But I've heard and read from various sources about the dangers of aspartame and I'm already uptight about what's unhealthy to eat, so better safe than sorry. When I read about aspartame burning holes in the brains of lab rats I tend to be concerned. Hardly makes me a conspiracy nut though, I think.

EDIT: Just read Ulv's link, pretty interesting. Going to read more about it, guess I could be wrong :angry:

Last edited:
When I read about aspartame burning holes in the brains of lab rats I tend to be concerned.

what some wannabe researchers do when they hometest aspartame is that they got no clue what they are working with

notwhitstanding disease, i believe the most likely cause of natural death in humans is heart failure of some kind

now for rats and mice sure they are mammals but their life expectancy is only 2-3 years and the most likely cause of natural death is a tumor on their pituitary gland (a gland inside the skull just below the brain) and when it swells that squeezes the brain in the skull and makes "holes" in it.... and that's alllllll natural

just one example
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111204062443AAE3Ttt

tl;dr holes in rats brain are "natural"

Last edited:
Good point, but I just picked that of many possible results because it was quicker to load the page than the others.

now for rats and mice sure they are mammals but their life expectancy is only 2-3 years and the most likely cause of natural death is a tumor on their pituitary gland (a gland inside the skull just below the brain) and when it swells that squeezes the brain in the skull and makes "holes" in it.... and that's alllllll natural

Good point!
There was this study in france a while ago about the danger of genetically modified maize wich had the same flaw... still it made the round through all the medias in europe (germany is pretty much leading in this "angsty of whatever is on topic" tbh, especialy radiation related stuff...). They even demanded the EU to ban all gene maize :lol:

The reaction of the german biological society to that made my day though. Apart from the facts you already presented they pretty much noted, that "test kohorts of 10 anmials each aint science, and have a nice day" :rofl: