The Hobbit

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

jy0dw.jpg

rofl was drinking chocolate milk and scrolled down slowly to that dwarf with food in his mouth. I shouldn't have done that. Now I have a lot of cleaning up to do on my screen and keyboard..

:lol: :spit:

It is an actual official poster but perhaps not The One poster to rule them all....

and the 3rd from the left on the top row is Bofur and he is played by James Nesbitt... u mad?

Not mad, just... pluh. Don't like him and didn't know he was involved, but afaicr Bofur isn't a major presence in the story. Then again, neither are nearly all the dwarves, so it's odd to festoon the poster with them. Plus I can't tell which one is the hobbit.

Thing is, I was one of those people who liked LOTR as a teenager, grew out of it, got enthused about the film(s), was a bit disappointed by how much they rewrote the story to fit the films (I just don't like it when this happens, no big deal), and now can't get too worked up about this one. As soon as they start (for example) writing out the forest spiders, writing in a whole new barrel ride sequence, giving Smaug a love story subplot... oh fuck off. I'd rather read the books. What a moany cnut, eh?

couples of things

1) yes bofur is relatively minor in the book
2) there are 13 dwarves on the poster bilbo is not on it
3) there will be spiders ... otherwise the lego set won't sell !!!! zomg

and most importantly don't forget that the hobbit is one small book and they are making 3 movies so...... for once the movie(s) adaptation may very well be "more complete" than the actual book, mainly because we know from other sources what happened around the book and the movies should contain all the parts in the hobbit and be fleshed out from other sources (all wrote by tolkien too just not in the hobbit)

couples of things

1) yes bofur is relatively minor in the book
2) there are 13 dwarves on the poster bilbo is not on it
3) there will be spiders ... otherwise the lego set won't sell !!!! zomg

and most importantly don't forget that the hobbit is one small book and they are making 3 movies so...... for once the movie(s) adaptation may very well be "more complete" than the actual book, mainly because we know from other sources what happened around the book and the movies should contain all the parts in the hobbit and be fleshed out from other sources (all wrote by tolkien too just not in the hobbit)

Ye, makes sense, fair enough. I dunno why the hobbit isn't on the posters though :\ I think this is shaping up to be a project more for hardcore Tolkien fans, or for people who know nothing or next to nothing about the whole Tolkien thing - the people in betweenn, like me, might be a bit bemused.

write a book

Working on it, Captain Loquacity.

I think this is shaping up to be a project more for hardcore Tolkien fans, or for people who know nothing or next to nothing about the whole Tolkien thing - the people in betweenn, like me, might be a bit bemused.

what?

give me a single example of a cultural work that has pleased both hardcore fans AND neophytes and yet left the - the people in betweenn - bemused

Why should I? It's not like failing to supply an example invalidates what I said, it's just an opinion. I realise this film is important to you but there's no need to be so precious and defensive about it, not everyone cares as much.