soccer / football thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

For stating the obvious yak?

If every team played the same way, no one would watch football, FACT. Different styles for different fans make great entertainment and perfect discussion material =]

To be fair Dave, (this includes you back in 2008) when Stoke have played that exact tactic vs top clubs in the Prem, they get slaughtered by pundits and the press. Chelsea do it and they are branded heroes.

Fair play and i was routing for Chelsea since Terry wasn't playing.

Anyone who is crying about how Chelsea won this can stfu kkthxbai, there is more to fucking football than tippy tappy bullshit on the half way line between your defenders, accumulating 70% possession and thinking that earns you the right to win.

Fuckoff Bayern. Fuckoff Barcelona. Fuckoff.

I can only speak for myself but it's not the way Chelsea won that makes me sad, it's WHO won it in Chelsea and everything around it! that makes me upset :<

fs terry doesn't deserve a trophy, hes a cunt fs! And cole, mydays. And torres!? Why did he start crying after the final whistle went? I fucking did nothing in both FA and CL the traitorous tit.

terry "won" but did he really. Deep down he knows he did nothing and only on the surface he will act up on the win. Deep down he knows he contributed 0.

I can't stand a number of Chelsea players, for me once I knew Terry was out, I liked them a whole lot more. But sorry to compare to Liverpool, but not exactly a team full of angels Maxi :P

Chelsea's tactics worked out great for them, there's nothing wrong with winning it like that. Bayern had a lot of chances and shots from outside the box. They just did poorly in the finnishing.
The fact that bothers me the most is the amount of debt that some clubs have. For example Barcalona plays great football etc but have a debt of hundreds of millions and they keep on buying players ( they seem to have an interest in Thiago silva) . If they would give Stoke city a few hundreds of millions even they would rule the modern football.

Isnt that the purpose of the financial fair play rules which are coming into effect next season? Forcing high spending teams to get thier house in order to allow them to spend. It wont remove the debt that some clubs have but on the ther hand it should help control it, not all debt is down to expenditure, some is taken out against the club so they can purchase it, think ManU or Rangers.

No offence to Stoke but even if they brought in some of the top players in the world I dont think they would be able to sustain the debt it would bring with it, the club doesnt have a high enough world profile. I would expect the FFP rules to benefit the German teams until the major european teams sort themselves out, of course there is always the possibility of Platini not going through with punishments on one of his beloved teams.

Indeed MyM, buying success only works for certain teams. You couldn't sustain that sort of debt if you cannot generate the revenue by regular means. Manchester City are able to with such a huge catchment area and a large stadium, same with Barcelona.

The new finance rules will help to control spending now. However, Man City have so many sizeable assets that they can easily generate the cash to buy whoever they want still.

All these new rules will do is force teams to rape smaller teams for their talent for a pittance and ensure the gap gets even bigger, rather than close.

Chelsea's transfers expenses in the last 12 years exceed £700m. That is ridiculous when you compare it to their neighbours who have spent a long time in the Premier League, in Fulham who have spent £100m only.

To make another comparison:

As of December 2011, the average wage at Barcelona's A squad, is £110,000 a week. Keeping on comparing to a team like Stoke, who pay £22,000 a week. Stoke have 0 debt and continue to be 1 of the few teams in UK that generate a profit each year, Barcelona are nigh on £1bn in debt. No matter how you dress it up with "size of club and sustainability", it is clearly just wrong and just goes to show that football is no longer a sport and in majority is now business orientated, with no rules providing any sort of equal platform, which is what sport should be about.

Last edited:
I don't think the big teams can be so cavalier with thei spending one the FFP rules come into full effect.

I don't really know how the FFP rules are going to actually work, a team like chelsea have maybe £700m+ debt but it;s owed to their russian owner who has it at either 0% or near enough, they pay £1M or so a year interest. Stoke has some debt but again its in house and interest free are these sort of debts acceptable, im assuming not?

Barcelona are losing around £30M a year even though they have a £400M turnover, they are going to have their work cut out to get rid of that debt, their stadium is already sold out and sponsorships maxed out, they either need to branch out into asia or start selling assets.

If FFP actually starts to become reality I would expect european matches to become a bit closer as teams cant start hoarding all the best players. Should make things more interesting in the future.

What would be a suitable punishment for teams like barcalona?

Excluded from Champions League qualification if they dont meet FFP rules. IE hit them where it hurts the most, by removing them from one of the more lucrative competitions.

Repeat offences and I would suggest transfer embargo

Although they should be banned, cause of their huge debts, UEFA will never ever ban them from the CL.

I can only speak for myself but it's not the way Chelsea won that makes me sad, it's WHO won it in Chelsea and everything around it! that makes me upset :<

fs terry doesn't deserve a trophy, hes a cunt fs! And cole, mydays. And torres!? Why did he start crying after the final whistle went? I fucking did nothing in both FA and CL the traitorous tit.

best is torres is demanding first place starts next season or hes leaving. he's crap !!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...a-and-then-judge-if-its-worth-it-7769622.html