Wireless HDMI

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

TIMMAH

-)EaS*
Jan 18, 2002
Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to be able to play bluray discs on my TV (Samsung LE40A786: http://www.samsung.com/nl/consumer/.../LE40A786R2FXXC/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail) with a nice surround sound system. Almost any home cinema set can do this, but I also want to have a wireless connection with my PC so I can play 1080p rips on my TV, a wireless HDMI solution or something.

A friend suggested to buy PS3 or maybe even a notebook. I'm not sure if that will work. What are the options? Any ideas?

You can stream HDTV rips to your TV with a ps3 .
Just connect the ps3 on your router and it works as a media server. (works wireless aswell)

I use it at home, (wired) and it works wonders. Only some HD files are a bit laggy, I think my PC Is the cause of this (you need a good pc + processor) to stream HD content.

ps. you need a program on your PC called 'ps3 media server' http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

I use a product called Popcorn Hour to play blueray rips movies and HD TV captures. It's pretty awesome. I've the A110 but theres a newer one out now which I've not tried. All my content is on a Windows PC and the Popcorn can browse Windows network shares and NFS shares.

Supports all movie formats perfectly and is very fast and responsive.

http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/index.php?pluginoption=catalog

The Popcorns processor is designed and optimized to play any HD content (mkv is my favourite) including 1080p flawlessly.

home1.jpg

Thanks for the replies!!

I haven't decided what to do yet, but I learned there are lots of options.

The popcorn machine, ps3, mac mini, dune bd 3.0 and several other "media tanks". They all have their pros and cons and no machine is perfect yet. So I'll prolly take the cheapest solution for now, the ps3 slim, and wait.

Remember that you need a good pc (2 cores at least) to stream HD content to your ps3 or it will lag.

well if you're tv is close to your pc you could also buy a gfx card that has hdmi out.

I also believe (correct me if im wrong) the ps3 is limited in the type of files it will play. I'm looking at you .mkv :angry:

Obviously i'm biased.. but the Popcorn A110 is perfect... its not some Microsoft or Sony box which is trying to win a format war. It plays it all, and there are regular firmware updates to constantly improve the interface and support new stuff as it comes out. Doesn't need Media Center or some other software to stream/re-encode your films so they are watchable.

Sure you could buy a console if you want it do more than play movies on your TV. But it's a box which has a specific purpose and does it well - rather than using a console and doing a half assed job of it.

The way i see it, I wouldn't use a console to watch movies anymore than I would use the fridge to cook food. Right tool for the job :]

True dat M, popcorn is more suited for the job as DLNA/NAS.

For streaming with a ps3 you need to have your pc on all the time. You can also copy to your Ps3 hard disc, but that also got some downsides (minor downsides, but still..)

The popcorn a110 is only around 150-200 euros or something if you look good on the internetz. And it does a very good job like martz said above.

But with a ps3 you can also play games and blue ray discs etc. (didn't you want to play blue ray discs?:D)

Agreed. I'd rather have something else than a ps3 since it's not its main purpose to be a media tank, but yes I want to play blurays. Thing that does it both is the dune 3.0 prime, but that gives problem with wifi adapters.

I have a HDMI cable now from my computer to my tv, but I want to get rid of it :)

I'm not sure the ps3 does a half assed job, but I think it's weird the ps3 comes at a low price and got the same features as other media tanks and you got a console too.

If ps3 doesnt play mkv, thats a big con. I figured since you can configure the console anyway you like and with the software sneez mentioned it's not a problem?

I don't believe the PS3 can play mkv files natively. A quick google comes up with this link: http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Play-MKV-Files-On-Playstation-3 which shows the file needs to be transcoded.

For me that's not playing mkv files, thats remuxing every file I want to play.

I've got nothing against the PS3 at all, or any console. I just like things which are good at their job :]

Edit: and I don't see Sony supporting mkv container files anytime soon, when Sony is a major player in the music/movie business and mkv files are most commonly used to play ripped films. It's not in their interest, so I wouldn't expect to see it happen anytime soon.

Last edited:
Just noticed this.
An alternative solution for those wanting to do similar and who are also in the market for a new tv imho should consider buying a DLNA enabled tv set.
I have one and can stream media from my pc to the tv and watch/listen to films, music pics etc through cat 5 network, all browsable from the tv.
Also, I keep all my movies on an external hdd. I can browse and play them directly from my tv when its plugged into the tv usb slot.
It plays AVI DIVx and Xvid, afraid my model doesn't support MKV files though, although some tv sets might well include this feature.
Hope this may help.

Sooo yesterday I finally bought the Iomega Screenplay DX HD Media Player and I need some help. :)

First: the wireless connection is slow. I upload movies to its HD with about 700-800 KB/sec. A large movie file will take 1-2 hours. I still have a G router and will replace it today with an N router. Also changed the channel it broadcasts on. See if that helps, other ideas are welcome.

Second: it has the option to play files from a shared folder (what i really want to do!!) but when I try to connect to my PC, I can select my PC but it asks for a username/password and whatever I try I cant login. Tried everything stated in this thread: http://www.iomegasupportforums.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=42909&highlight=streaming
Maybe I'm not setting things up right on my PC or router? I got windows 7 ultimate.

Third: with windows media player I managed to Play a file to the machine but I have a feeling it's transcoding it before it sends it which makes the quality worse. In VLC I have an option to disable transcoding but I couldnt manage to stream it to the machine. I couldnt find a good manual for it either. Is this even possible? Does it stream the subtitles as well?

I still have the same TV. It doesnt have DLNA but a wiselink (not pro) USB connection but that unfortunately cant play movies.

I'm tempted to return this one to the store and buy something else :p how's that popcorn thing working out? ;)

I use my PS3 as media station. Normally i just copy dvd's to my BlackBerry, and connect that to my PS3.
Most dvd do show... But mp4's and blu-ray aren't always showing, can't find the problem with that.

Because i normally download the rips from one user :x

Bought a new router linksys e3000 and now my pc got recognised as a media center lol.

Installed codecs and registry hack to support all files and now it works properly from the media player device. Still cant connect to shared folders though.

Are you sure you can't login without credentials, just leave it blank?

Otherwise, do you have a password on Windows, or one set for Administrator? Maybe your PC name + admin password would work.

I do find it weird it actually asks for credentials, seems like an unncessary step in the proces.

What made you choose for this specific player? Did you read any reviews or compare different devices? Not that I've read up much on it, it might be a perfect device if it works properly :D

I have a Dvico TVIX HD M-6500 which is wired to my router with a folder on my computer (D: ) shared. Works flawlessly, any format, codec, DVD .ISO's etc. It even can play movies straight out of the .rars . Couldn't live without it! It doesn't have a wireless function, but I wouldn't see why you'd want that. Not sure if it possible to actually stream 1080P wireless to TV without any stutters/issues.

Maybe Iomega has some forum with people with similar problems. If it's really a hassle I'd just return it and go for a better solution, which has proven to work.

Still see a lot of people around me also using methods like transfering to a phone/USB -> PS3 , hooking up laptop to TV, transfering movie to a HDD of a media player, even fully re-encoding a .MKV just so that it would play through a Xbox360. I can't believe the time you can waste with such methods :D

Devices that share specific folders for media through things like WMP dont ask for security details, normal sharing of files however would depending on the setup.

Windows by default will usually block access to a PC if the user details that are being used dont have a password, option here is to turn that off or set a password (if you set a password and it works then you know its blocking blank passwords as being valid). Alternatively you can use the guest account which gets around that but is more of a security risk.