Onlive - first title only £1

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

'//3iRd(o)

Administrator
Sep 19, 2001
Dorset, UK
For those who have been living like a hermit, Onlive UK has launched, with the EU service to follow sometime later.

It's a cloud based remote gaming solution, so instead of needing beefy hardware on your PC, the servers do all the work and all you receive is a rendered stream, while sending the relevant input stream.

They're offering your first game for £1, to be claimed before October 9th - includes most titles under £40, including Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Given it's first day of launch, the network is pretty busy at the moment - it took me 3 minutes to log on, and the first game I tried ended up bombing me out with a network error saying my internet had dropped below minimum quality (22Mbps isn't good enough it seems). Should hopefully get better as it calms down.

That's pretty awesome! :)

Although on my 40/4Mbit line I'm currently getting unplayable results. Massive blurriness, very unresponsive, screen is full of compression artifacts.

It also complained my latency was too high.
I found the problem here is that it seems to be forwarding me to their US servers. Getting the stream from ip 74.85.146.21.

So guess it's pretty impossible to test for quality outside of the UK atm. :(
Would love to hear if the blurriness etc. also happens for UK'ers.

please feedback on this, might pickup a game for £1 if i can be bothered eevn though it probably doesnt look great cause its streamed

Thought I was being naive thinking this wouldn't work particularly well - but given that my 10 mega fibre optic!!!!!! connection struggles with Sky Player, I guess I'll give it a miss... :(