The Moon's North Pole

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Quote from DB's link:
The Moon's North Pole

The Earth's moon has been an endless source of fascination for humanity for thousands of years. When at last Apollo 11 landed on the moon's surface in 1969, the crew found a desolate, lifeless orb, but one which still fascinates scientist and non-scientist alike.

This image of the moon's north polar region was taken by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera, or LROC. One of the primary scientific objectives of LROC is to identify regions of permanent shadow and near-permanent illumination. Since the start of the mission, LROC has acquired thousands of Wide Angle Camera images approaching the north pole. From these images, scientists produced this mosaic, which is composed of 983 images taken over a one month period during northern summer. This mosaic shows the pole when it is best illuminated, regions that are in shadow are candidates for permanent shadow.

Last edited:
It's a composite pic I think. You can see the joins and also there's a lot of shadow on the pole itself

yea it is... But the weird thing to me is why it was made this way, why didn't they just take a normal pic from above? There are more ways to show the moon, i even believe that there is/was a website where you can follow a satellite showing the moon.

yea it is... But the weird thing to me is why it was made this way, why didn't they just take a normal pic from above? There are more ways to show the moon, i even believe that there is/was a website where you can follow a satellite showing the moon.

Then you still need alot of pictures to show it like this, you know there is like a lot of shadow there!

:rofl:

Next hes gonna tell us they need to use a light with the camera to remove the shadow of the moon! :rolleyes:

Then you still need alot of pictures to show it like this, you know there is like a lot of shadow there!

:rofl:

Next hes gonna tell us they need to use a light with the camera to remove the shadow of the moon! :rolleyes:

i know, i just like original pictures instead of montages ;)

It's cool to have this printed on a plate or something :D