Hard Drive problems

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

MeetYourMaker

Administrator
Jun 8, 2001
London
I'm trying to repair an issue with a PC I've been given, rather than research it further myself I'm hoping someone can come up with a sensible idea :D

Intel 845 based MB, OS XP Sp3, Seagate IDE HD

Windows will crash once it gets to the loading screen, have found the cause to be the HD.
On original HD: have run seagate diagnostic test (long) - no errors, run chkdsk /R - no errors, SMART shows no problems, windows XP wont new install (missing/corrupt files when copying for setup), XP will copy files for repair install but crashes on same XP loading screen screen

New HD, XP will new install no problem

Cables/PSU/MB have been changed. The fact new HD works rules out problems with DVD drive or XP disc for reinstall problems or indeed anything else.

Any idea how a drive can be faulty but not show any of the typical faults, I.E data corruption, noisey or failing SMART/diagnostic tests?

It was already on MS/SL but I had tried CS, drive was working fine for years up until windows crashing which is why its been given to me so its unlikely to be a configuration error, more that something has changed/failed but I can't workout what if the drive passes all its diagnostics.

I can access the drive fine from within PE, no errors on any files and it will even run drive performance tests repeatedly without any issue.

Sounds more like an issue with XP and its installer rather then the drive. I would probably try to zero out the first 10MB, or even the entire drive, and start the Windows installer again.
I know for a fact that the Windows XP installer is useless with partitions.

Linux command for you:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd<drive> bs=1M count=10

Last edited: