Pug League - Open

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

It seemed to go pretty well. I was surprised it took the same time as normal to get captains - I'm top partly because I captained 3 out of 4 pugs.

Had some problems with my ping, but I played anyway because I didn't want to fall behind in the points table...

25 seconds later (ROFL - hurry up wish :P)

lmao @ second video, i thought for a split second u might have been someone from red as i never saw you, just heard the female movement sound behind me :rofl:

and then I didn't know u'd fallen down too, so when I heard the hammer jump i thought it was a red player again :spit:

Dont forget - Thursday night = pug league night. All pugs ending after 19gmt count towards pug league.
There will be quite a few 1v1's tonight also so i dont anticipate much pugs, but lets see!

change the default view to sort by ppt.
Useless to have the amount of medals really. Need an average instead.

also sort country table after ppt = CANADA IN top atm LOL....
Wish in top of the normal table sort by ppt. unexpected? not really. sphere dropped down after loss last night.

Last edited:
change the default view to sort by ppt.
Useless to have the amount of medals really. Need an average instead.

also sort country table after ppt = CANADA IN top atm LOL....
Wish in top of the normal table sort by ppt. unexpected? not really. sphere dropped down after loss last night.

I will change it in a couple of weeks, ppt only shows after people have played 3 games, so waiting on a few more people to get 3 games played so that the table makes more sense

Points Up for grabs, Thursday night pugs, same as always, all pugs ending after 19gmt and starting before midnight

Pugleague 2011 so far

Got bored at work today so I took a look at the pugleague table and made some totally unscientific reflections for the fun of it. I only cba considering those who played more than 9 pugs.
Here are some pure stats for the first two monts, no qualitative judgements :p

sphere (ranked 10) has played most pugs (20, capt 11), Cyborg (rank 14) is just 1 behind, played 19 (capt 11st): !Catpaining seems to help rank

DJ (rank 11), played 13 pugs, capt 2. Axl (rank 7), w1sh (rank 6) both played 9 pugs and seldom captain, skill counts too

Ert, xb, prom and d1sc lose most of their pugs, lucy & fishy are at 50/50 (no matter fragscore), is speaking in TS really overrated in teamplay?

A group of frequent players have good average score and have played more than 9 pugs, most without captaining (xcept pogo-san), most, if not all, speak frequently:
13 YaKz0r\\-
15 Hudson(!)
16 heidi_klum (5 captain)
17 Ph*-B*ss
18 NoMeRcY
19 WeeZy
20 sleepy

oc, some of the lower ranked non fraggin tossers (like me) are often picked last to even up and thus often end up with the 'best' players, but on the other hand, last picks are often randomised and the best fraggers are not necessarily winners.

Back to work :(

Last edited:
All the pug league does is reflecting how equal teams are picked and who is overrated/underrated. If teams are fair you will win around 50% of the pugs and end up on 1 ppt, if you always cap its 2ppt etc., not more, not less.
The pug league is pretty much just coin tossing.
Only obvious thing is that captaining helps to get points as the average points you get per pug increase. Your argumentation on skill and use of ts is totally absurd to me.

id agree that pug stats dont mean anything, i mean people who are always lined up against wish have a lower score when we all know they top players...

and being reliable is 1000x more useful than having a mic.
but it a fun silly stat that makes things more interesting

All the pug league does is reflecting how equal teams are picked and who is overrated/underrated. If teams are fair you will win around 50% of the pugs and end up on 1 ppt, if you always cap its 2ppt etc., not more, not less.
The pug league is pretty much just coin tossing.
Only obvious thing is that captaining helps to get points as the average points you get per pug increase. Your argumentation on skill and use of ts is totally absurd to me.

if you always cap and win 50% your average would be 1.5 ppt not 2 :P

Pug league is just a stat, at the moment the stats dont tell the real story, once we get most players above 10 played you wil see those players that are generally valuable to the team. Sphere is in my eyes the leader at the moment. Despite playing more he stil maintains a 1.4 average, thats pretty impressive. Pitbull is riding high now but cabn he maintain that rating? Doubt it, I will be increasing required games played to 6 this sunday. Those.not playing to maintain a hifh average will need to start playing ;)

A 4 team event is being scheduled for this sunday. More info to follow!

Last edited:
Ive got out of 13 pugs

8 WINS
4 LOSS (3 vs wish)
THE CUP i won 1 and loss 1 game so was given 2p for that.

I captained once. I actually think this is good and shows alot.
Thing is u should hide players not played 10 pugs yet as the average show nothing on them.
KD PIT etc etc might not ever play 10 games and will always be top

was just some reflections, no real arguments. As many point out, its pretty random, maybe we'll get a better picture at the end of the year? Anyways it fun with stats, who ever wins or rank highest, just though it was an unexpected and interesting pattern.

if you always cap and win 50% your average would be 1.5 ppt not 2 :P

Thought you get double points for captaining, obviously 1.5 if it is just one additional point.

Anyway I guess things will even out over the year apart from those people who captain and pick rape teams just to get points.

I captained twice, and they were my two only losses ;( Guess I should stop!

Since some people still not clear on Thursday/Sunday pug night rules, Ive updated the news post on the main website:

http://pug.utassault.net/index.php

Rules are below incase you are too lazy to click:

Thursday/Sunday Night Pug Rules:
  • Only pugs Ending after 19gmt and Starting before Midnight will count.
  • Only matches that are 4v4 and greater will count.
  • 2 points for a win. 0 for losing
  • Captains get +1 (hopefully this will encourage people to captain fast on Thursday and Sunday and we will be able to play more pugs too!)
  • Substitutions Rule 1: If you leave midway through a pug and your team wins - the person replacing gets your points, no matter how long they played.
  • Substitutions Rule 2: If you leave midway through a pug and your team loses - the loss accounts against your name, not against the person that subbed in.
  • Substitutions Rule 3: If you find a suitable substitute before the match begins, that player is a direct replacement and the pug will count against their name.
  • Substitutions Rule 4: If you find an unsuitable substitute before the match begins. e.g hudson replaces wish and your team ends up losing that result will count only against your name. Your teammates will not be included in the results submission.
  • Substitutions Rule 5: If you find an unsuitable substitute before the match begins. e.g wish replaces hudson and your team ends up winning that result will count for your team. The opposition will not be included in the results submission, you will be submitted on behalf of the opposition.
  • A tied pug counts as a win for the team that last won a map! Harsh but required as the system does not accept ties.

Upcoming updates!
  • need to update leading teams PPT rating on the "leading teams bar" at the top of the page. This is currently including results from last year.
  • need to sort Team Table by PPT Rating as default
  • need to remove clunky medals on team table and replace with bar graph
  • need to sort Country Table by PPT Rating as default
  • need to remove clunky medals on country table and replace with bar graph
  • need to show opponents in the individual user statistics/matches
  • need to update FAQ for Thurs/Sunday Pug league nights
  • need to remove inactive users from league table
  • Currently you must have played at least 3 pugs to be shown on the league table with a PPT rating. This will change to 6 on the next update. And then change to 9 at the end of March. Following this the number required games will increase by 3 at the end of every month. This promotes activity and stops people sitting on high PPT's simply because they won a few games and then never played again. e.g at the moment pitbull is top of the league, but only played 4 games. On the next update he will be hidden on the league table until he has played 6 matches in total.

If anyone has any opinions particularly on the subs rules, please post here with alternative ideas or suggestions.
If you have any comments about the site and changes that need to be made feel free to post as well !

Last edited: