soccer / football thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Where are the left and right forward positions? Also some players are shortlist on positions they never play.

But here goes anyway.

GK definately Casillas for denying Robben in the final. Rest of the GKs crumbled under pressure.
RB Maicon is a no-brainer.
CB just Lucio. Clone him and be done with it.
LB Bastos. One of the good surprises of the WC.
RM Robben. Ronaldo played horrible in the WC.
CM Xavi. Best midfielder ever.
AM Sneijder.
LM Iniesta. No competition in that shortlist...
FW Forlan. Carried his team in the WC. Fantastic player.
FW Drogba/Messi/Villa. Doesnt really matter. Drogba for putting up the best overall performance in WC and CL.

Iniesta scored only 6-7 goals in 2010 (two in WC, right...), but its not so much to be in my 11 ;)
Messi - dont like him :P and he didn't score at the most important tournament in 2010 ;)
C Ronaldo - same, dont like him... i choose Robben because he had good season (won bundesliga and was in CL final with Bayern and in WC final)... i tried to forget about over 40 his goals and over 10 assist :P

Can't believe Chelsea! They so need a proper CB and another squad striker deeeeeeeeeeeeeeesperately! Sturridge is crap

Chelsea sold Carvalho this summer, the stupidest transfer

i knew that will be wrong decision to have only two CB (Terry and Alex)

i hope they finaly get David Luiz and some striker... maybe Carroll ;)

imo this league season is already lost for CFC :(

they're better off with a whole new young squad. the right back is a big problem for chelsea.. it surprised me that AV won that much headers in the box.

How come Bosingwa doesn't get more starts for Chelsea? I know he's just got back from a serious long-term injury but he's miles better than Ferreira or whoever else you put there.

Chelsea sold Carvalho this summer, the stupidest transfer

i knew that will be wrong decision to have only two CB (Terry and Alex)

i hope they finaly get David Luiz and some striker... maybe Carroll ;)

imo this league season is already lost for CFC :(

Carvalho wanted to leave whilst Jose was Inter but we managed to hold onto him. However you can't keep a player at the club against their will and it was only fair to sell him to Real to be with Jose again. Served the club well and wish him all the best.

Ivanovic can also play center back when not been asked to play out of position at right back, but the fact a center back is our best right back says a lot about our squad at the moment.

There is also Bruma who played against Villa, who apart from the second goal where he had no chance marking against Heskey, did a very good job for such a young player. Mancienne is also back at the club recieving treatment, but not sure if he'll feature for us or not as he maybe sent back to Wolves for rest of season as part of his loan agreement. If we don't start playing the youth now, we never will.

As for buying a new center back, it would have to be a player who hasn't played in the Champions League this season, and no club will want to loose one of their best players mid-way through their season. Will probably end up with some random defender from Russia as we did with Ivanovic, but lets hope they turn out just as good.

Whilst the situation at the moment isn't great we still have Liverpool, Man City and Man Utd to play at home. Win those and we could be right back into the title push. Saying that though I don't think we will win the title, too many points dropped already, especially at home, and Carlo doesn't seem to have a plan B (stubborn Italian or simply not got enough players to swap tactics?). Qualifying for the Champions League next season has to be our priority now.

How come Bosingwa doesn't get more starts for Chelsea? I know he's just got back from a serious long-term injury but he's miles better than Ferreira or whoever else you put there.

Boswinga is terrible defensively, where as Ferreira is terrible offensively. Depends what the situation or opponent is as to who seems to play. Pretty sure Boswigna is out of contract in the summer and wouldn't shed any tears if he left on a free this summer. Ivanovic by nature is a center back, but is actually the best right back at the club.

Kranjcar from Spurs would be a good signing as he isn't getting a game and can play anywhere across midfield. Anelka and Malouda need their arses kicked and realised that their place in the team isn't guarenteed like it is at the moment.

I'd be very suprised if we sign another striker as Carlo's tactics mean there is only 1 striker up front. Anelka gets asked to play on the wing which he isn't suited to at all. Sturridge should be given more time, even though he isn't Chelsea quality (as of yet anyway).

Carvalho wanted to leave whilst Jose was Inter but we managed to hold onto him. However you can't keep a player at the club against their will and it was only fair to sell him to Real to be with Jose again. Served the club well and wish him all the best.

(...)

If we don't start playing the youth now, we never will.

As for buying a new center back, it would have to be a player who hasn't played in the Champions League this season, and no club will want to loose one of their best players mid-way through their season. Will probably end up with some random defender from Russia as we did with Ivanovic, but lets hope they turn out just as good.

Yes, if player want to leave club should let him go... but also club should get new player at this position, like:
- J Cole left, we get Benayoun (anyway, this transfer was a joke too...)
- Cudicini left, we get Ross Turnbull (next joke, this goalkeeper is so bad :( )
- Robben left, Malouda came :)

Chelsea just keep solding good players and don't buy new same good... we lost Ballack, J Cole, Belletti, Deco, Carvalho and Stoch (in last season was playing for Twente)... and we get only Ramires and Benayoun

problem is there: young players are playing good football only if they are out on loan or if they already leave chelsea... this club just need transfers

Yes, if player want to leave club should let him go... but also club should get new player at this position, like:
- J Cole left, we get Benayoun (anyway, this transfer was a joke too...)
- Cudicini left, we get Ross Turnbull (next joke, this goalkeeper is so bad :( )
- Robben left, Malouda came :)

Chelsea just keep solding good players and don't buy new same good... we lost Ballack, J Cole, Belletti, Deco, Carvalho and Stoch (in last season was playing for Twente)... and we get only Ramires and Benayoun

problem is there: young players are playing good football only if they are out on loan or if they already leave chelsea... this club just need transfers

Joe Cole has hardly set the world on fire though has he? :p:
I'm not at all convinced about him. We were supposedly getting the deal of the season when we got Cole on a free transfer + money for Benayoun but so far he's done nothing to impress really. Don't know if it's down to poor management by Hodgson or just poor form in general :<

Anyway, I wonder why Drogba, Rooney and Torres are all just.. out of it this season - They've been so very poor in comparison to their normal sky-high standards. Is there a reason? I dunno..