soccer / football thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

To quote a bunch of journalists and players from PL; "It's the best team in the world ever, no contest." Not even the Galacticos of the 60's can stand up to this team apparently lol

Barca 5 - 0 Real Madrid. If you missed it, im sorry for you, please go watch FULL extended highlights (not only the goals) - Barca is magical to watch. Best performance in football I ever seen, EVER. 5-0 is OK - it can happen, but the way it happened was amazing. They were just toying with Real Madrid and Real Madrid had no answers. Flicks and touches everywhere, through the legs etc. Real Madrid spent most of the match trying to get the ball. Amazing team, Spectacular Team!!! It was like watching a special show/performance!

Yes, I was in Barcalona for a long weekend, and had to leave on Sunday. We got invited to a sold out pub to watch the game, but we had to fly out a day early. Watched it here at home, live, yesterday, and would have loved to have seen the game at Camp Nou. Amazing display. Buggar.

Ridiculous choice of countries.

In Russia they play on plastic grass, they don't even have 12 stadiums good enough to host WC games. Racism is running rampant in Russia too, they're doing nothing about it, trying to convince us sane people that "it's not racism, it's our way of saying goodbye/hello". Fuck off.

In Qatar the temperatures will rise to 50c+ during summertime and they don't even have 12 stadiums to begin with. The country isn't big enough to fit 12 stadiums!? And let's not forget this is a country where drinking is illegal, where women are treated like property and where women aren't even allowed to choose what to wear and to even enter stadiums/public places. What the fuck is wrong with FIFA!?

Sepp Blatter made a point of telling us that Russia (and Eastern Europe, as he refered to it) and Qatar (Middle East) has never before hosted the World Cup and this really is what it's all about. It's about Blatter leaving a "legacy" behind, just like the case was with South Africa getting to host this years world cup. It's about his legacy, about FIFA sucking as much money possible out of the game that we all know and love and it's just sad. So very sad.

I wish something would be done. FIFA needs a complete overhaul. 208 (correct me if I'm wrong) Football Associations across the world but only 24 voting delegates (2 suspended for suspected corruption so in reality, only 22 voted) - Now tell me, how is this fair? How is this democratic?

Excuse my language, but it's fucking ridiculous. It's all just a big farce.

What happens when the World Cup is finished in Qatar? No doubt new stadiums will be built (like S.Africa) and then just left to rot as Qatar are hardly a football nation.

Qatar to be fair has developed a lot since the 1990's and a lot of big names do actually ply their trade there now. OK, not superstar players but the likes of Rivaldo and others have played in countries like these.

Also in Qatar's favour, they have 12 years to play with, they have some excellent stadium designs and at least some new countries are getting involved. It gets a little tedious seeing some countries hosting the same tournaments. I for one will look forward to it, even if it does carry some risks.

Qatar - good choice, its going to be a good world cup
Russia - biiiig country without good communication, imho its not the best option for WC

but... both countries have a lot of money (Russia is rather poor country - if you compare it with some UE countries... but they have a few olygarh, a lot of oil etc. )... and its main reason, why we will see WC in Russia and Qatar :)

worst choices ever, both of them :nono:
I want to see a WC in countries that have the passion for the game: The likes of England, Scotland, Germany, South American countries. Qatar and russia is a joke really.

I disagree Bas. It is a World Cup and therefore all aspects should be open to all countries, not preference to those that like it more :rolleyes:

The benefits should be spread a lot more than they currently are and I for one prefer the choices for the 2018 and 2022 over say Netherlands/Belgium who only recently hosted the Euros and USA who not that long ago hosted the World Cup as well.

If you keep it in Europe and certain South American countries, it will never expand worldwide with popularity.

Japan/Korea, South Africa, Russia, Qatar. It is heading in the right direction. After Qatar it will more than likely be in Europe again so what is the fuss?

I would have thought one of the main things going for some of the bids for 2018 were that the countries were ready to host the WC, Russia isnt. In the current economic climate isnt it irresponsible to first of all bid for something that costs so much and secondly to award it to a country that isnt that financially secure, surely that is just following the same path as India with the commonwealth games.

Qatar I can understand, doesnt necessarily mean I agree with it as a choice. They have the financial backing to make whatever they want to do happen and it is a good way to try and increase the popularity of the sport in that area. IHowever I cant really imagine it helping Qatar itself, its a popularity exercise for the middle east and FiFA. I just dont know how football fans from the various countries will fit into what is a country governed by religous based law.

looks like Brazil will be the next best world cup for at least 16 years, nice one fifa!

IF at all Brazil gets to host 2014. As it stands now they haven't even started building the necessary airports connected to the hosting cities.

It's a mess. So with some "luck" England might have to step in :)D) Not that I want that to happen, WC in Brazil would be awesome.

IF at all Brazil gets to host 2014. As it stands now they haven't even started building the necessary airports connected to the hosting cities.

It's a mess. So with some "luck" England might have to step in :)D) Not that I want that to happen, WC in Brazil would be awesome.

True, travel around brasil is pain.. sao paulo being main city most goes there, you need 1-2hour bus journey to travel to other airport within city then its off to smaller airline to other smaller airports around the country, after that you have to use public transport etc, taxi's for long journeys.. quite a pain. For large numbers im sure it'll be a struggle, its already very over populated roads there, but the atmosphere will be a TOP WC.