Pug League - Open

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

GUYS - don't forget that signups close at 18:45 GMT!

You also need to be on IRC by 19:15, and the tournament starts at 19:30!

Shame I coudn't come to this one, getting wasted @ friend's house at this mo, but I've checked the teams and they don't seem to fair, team 1 and team 4 seem much more powerful than the other 2, team 4 has wish sandy and fable, way to much (might lack in tax tho) and team 1 is overall very powerful aswell, only 1 "hero" but very good players to back him up, teams 2 and 3 seem to lack when compared to those 2 but ofc I may be wrong, I was on the last one :), hopefully someone will demo a couple of matches and send 'em to me yar? would love to see team 2 vs 3 and team 1 vs 4, very competitive matches there imo, gl & hf to everyone involved! :thumb:

Shame I coudn't come to this one, getting wasted @ friend's house at this mo, but I've checked the teams and they don't seem to fair, team 1 and team 4 seem much more powerful than the other 2, team 4 has wish sandy and fable, way to much (might lack in tax tho) and team 1 is overall very powerful aswell, only 1 "hero" but very good players to back him up, teams 2 and 3 seem to lack when compared to those 2 but ofc I may be wrong, I was on the last one :), hopefully someone will demo a couple of matches and send 'em to me yar? would love to see team 2 vs 3 and team 1 vs 4, very competitive matches there imo, gl & hf to everyone involved! :thumb:

Only team 1and3 had a solid 5out of 5 players, is why they're in the final too. . wish team ended up getting 2 of the weaker players in the tourney to balance for his frag power, but thats a huge gap in 5v5 in a "team" mod.

Only team 1and3 had a solid 5out of 5 players, is why they're in the final too. . wish team ended up getting 2 of the weaker players in the tourney to balance for his frag power, but thats a huge gap in 5v5 in a "team" mod.

Have to agree with Ins here, we ended up being really weak due to this. Hudson tried his best though, so fair play to him - really have no problems when someone listens to tactics and takes it seriously. Sleepy is a completely different story - he didn't listen to any tactics at all, just took everything in sight and then when I politely asked him to listen he started to shoot our own launches. Sphere's team played excellent but with such a player on your team what can you do really?

Really surprised, like wish pointed out I was aware of hudson's limitations but I know he's very friendly and tries his best to be an asset to the team, as for sleepy she seemed eager to learn and not get in the way when she could avoid it the few times I've played with her, I still remember around a year ago when I came pugging for the 1st time, was just around to learn and got flamed quite a bit cause everyone took every pug very competitively and woudn't have a problem blaming me for losing a match (won't mention names but most who did this aren't around anymore, so naja) when you start to get a hang on assault I don't think people really see just how hard it can really be as a teamplay for beginners, made me lose interest from the start many many years ago (publics, naja) and it did last year aswell, take some time to teach her a thing or 2 before a pug or something, the last thing we need on uta/pug is to make newcomers bored or uninterested, we were all noobs once! (noobs aka standcombo lekker flak/rox spam, mini prrrrttttttttt, not like me kthx).

Gratz to Sphere on his victory btw! :thumb:

Usually I would agree with u Cyborg but in this case I´d rather not have any new players in league. It´s just a shame when someone has to ruin the whole game like this.
We started on desertstorm, Sleepy was supposed to def stairs but had to push out and died so we got run over. I didnt say anything, she´s new and probably doesnt know better I thought. Then on attack I grabbed belt, dropped it for Wish but Sleepy stole it (I mean its quite obvious that the belt was not for her, especially when I say on ts "Wish here is belt for you") and ran into 3 attackers 5 secs later (ok noobish but still people didnt get mad).
Then Bridge came up and she was supposed to defend 2nd but went to sniper nest instead and although people told her on ts and even in chat to go to 2nd the didnt bother and we lost the obj after 30secs or sth. After that she was supposed to defend low but had to stay outside of course so we lost final low (now everyone was mad at her, surprise). On attack she stole belt again after 2nd and even broke our own launches I heard, didnt see that though.
I dont have to mention she didnt use any kind of comms or even reacted to anything that was said. Basically she was just playing her game so we ended up giving tacs to 4 people only which made it impossible to win.

Noone expects new players to be fragging gods or tactical geniouses but at least some sort of common sense and listening to tactics can be expected I guess.

Our team could have done much better than this with everyone following tacs and at least some launches working, but that way we had no real chance against sphere and his team which had no real weak spots.

Just to re-cap this weeks tournament, these were the teams -

pugtournament21stnovemb.png

Results -

Semi
Team 1 vs. Team 2 = 4-2
Team 3 vs. Team 4 = 5-2

Final
Team 1 vs. Team 3 = 0-4

GG - hopefully things run a little more smoothly next time :P

Its going to be hard to completely balance teams unless its done like the 10th anniversary cup where each player is rated (even that was not that perfect). If anyone has some suggestions on how to pick players and keep it as fair as possible I would welcome it. Im happy to adjust the website as long as its not way too complicated.

I know there was some teething problems this time as well, things will improve the more we do it.

Problems this time: -8- server died - i retested the server setup script just now to make sure it wasn't a scripting error and both servers setup just fine, so i think it was a once off. We ended up moving that match to the pug server which seems a reasonable alternative for future problems.

Had some website problems for captains - which was completely my fault, I made a few updates (see posts a few days ago) but wasn't bother to retest everything so of course when it came to actually doing it things didnt work !!, but overall everything was a bit quicker this time around:)

Tables been updated: http://pug.utassault.net/leaguetable.php

Weezy has won 2/2, Sphere Sudeki close behind but have a better PPT Rating (points per tournament rating) as they only played once & winning as captain (PPT actually doesnt count until 3 tournaments are played by the individual). Its easy to catch up - you just need to win!

There will be 2 more tournaments this year (gets too busy near Xmas). The tables will be reset in January.

The Next Tournament will be special tournament NEXT WEEK on a Weekday - to give people who cant play on Sunday a chance (Wednesday Dec 1st or Thursday Dec 2nd) and will be nice 1 x 6v6 (with 2 subs on each team as cover). It will be based on order of signup and I will specify when the signup opens well in advanced. This will be best of 9.

So if anyone has a problem with those dates please let me know in this thread so others can also discuss.

There will be no limit on the number of signups - So if the number of signups is still high I can change this too a 4 team tournament - but rather keep it simple on a weekday.

P.S i think my team was pretty strong, but we just didn't perform well while mets team played really nice

Last edited:
Had no clue it had been that serious fable but unfortunately there's those...well, serious cases, sorry it had to happen to you and your team :f.
Still, I'd welcome any new player to the league and the pug itself as long as they learn to follow tacs fairly quickly, but prohibiting them from joining these sort of events until some of the more active players feel they can rely on them.

must admit sleepy in a 2v2 i played was absoultly terrible and shooting me more than the enemy i think also haha,however this was only a fun random 2v2 not a cup, shame it ruined 1 team but theres always the next one! (maybe 1 game suspension?) :sofa: lol x

I'm glad people have experienced playing with her. And no Lucy, it's not because she's a girl, she could be a hermaphrodite for all I care, if somebody doesn't understand something they are asked why just not ask for it to be clarified. She later said after the game that she doesn't know objectives. So rather than just say 'sleepy at 2nd', I would have simplified the location for her, unfortunately I'm not psychic.

Had no clue it had been that serious fable but unfortunately there's those...well, serious cases, sorry it had to happen to you and your team :f.
Still, I'd welcome any new player to the league and the pug itself as long as they learn to follow tacs fairly quickly, but prohibiting them from joining these sort of events until some of the more active players feel they can rely on them.

I think you fail to grasp the nature of this tourney and what xb was trying to acheive, heres a quote for you:

# No need for a clan and relying on them to turn up - The assault "theme" still remains, but instead of playing as a clan, you are playing as individuals, within a team. The team environment still exists and we need to help each other in order get medals/tokens.

# Matches will be evenly balanced leading to good, close and exciting matches with a competitive edge.

Now this sounds ideal and right up the street for most of us who dont play within league formats anymore and nostalgic to the previous competition we used to have, as few said yesterday in IRC this should of came in 2007 era.

If people wanted chilled, fun, mess around?! gaming, they'd pug? they have the option to do so 24/7. This tourney is supposed to add abit of competivness back into the game thus new players joining these events to fill numbers are generally going to be a hidderance and ruin what fun/competivness there is for there whole squad.

Tho i think it was the game-number that was of fault too, 5v5 is hard to backpack people to the finishing line rather then 6v6 as any defence role is important, so sleepy not following one tactic is major gap/flaw in our defence on most maps its like if we swaped sleepy for any 1 of spheres players the score would of been reversed its that much of a impact.

Spheres squad was only one without a weaker player and every other squad had one in our case two (thx wish), and this shows on how they won the 2games with relative ease in 5v5 format.

Personally i think more time/direction should be applied to the team-creation with captains and admin, its second week of this and where i can agree its hard to make 4 well balanced teams.. it can still be made better with abit more common sense.

Its shame from the time effort xb and others put into this over the few months, but atm i really dont see why people should not pug and join this instead? Where pug is set up faster/less hassle easier to obtain more balanced teams and free to do when people want, this is a farce its meant to be for competivness and a solution for no league based wars i fail to see it as that.. yet.

well the way normal pug is going at the moment, you can easily say the number of matches that are unequal easily outweigh the number of matches that are equal.

As far as im concerned this will succeed as long as people are willing to let it succeed. This is the last platform for any competition left in the league. Clan matches wont ever come back to the level they were, pug matches can still be good, but if you add a competitive edge to them they can be great and that's what the pug league is hoping to achieve.

There is still many directions this can take. 4 team tourneys are pretty hectic and I may need to reduce how often these 4 team tournys are played. Next week is a 2 team tourney which should get 6v6 quite easily and should be quite equal, and should be a bit more faster.

Next week will be a real good pug

Last edited:
I'm glad people have experienced playing with her. And no Lucy, it's not because she's a girl, she could be a hermaphrodite for all I care, if somebody doesn't understand something they are asked why just not ask for it to be clarified. She later said after the game that she doesn't know objectives. So rather than just say 'sleepy at 2nd', I would have simplified the location for her, unfortunately I'm not psychic.

I am, and I predict you will STILL be a cunt next year.

thanks for the weekday game xb! should let the top 12 players signed next week play instead of order of signup, i wouldnt mind speccing a tense 6v6 with dj losing in teh end! also get riv to play one!

unfortunately for team 4 you werent familiar with sleepy,
if i was on irc i woulda told you to use her as a front spammer, cant expect someone new to stay back.. in fact she has quite decent aim and can be annoying up front...

teams were great given the circumstances just unfortunate tactics

i was surprised team 1 beat team 2 again, dj lost twice now :D