Pug League - Open

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Summary

Heres my Summary of the first event:

Overall it was brilliant, but had some negatives - but these can be fixed quite easily too make it feel less tiresome.

POINT 1: Html failed to show - he was captain - any player signed and not showing does not help AT ALL, especially a captain.

We had to rush picking in 20minutes with a substitute captain and getting passwords and server information to everyone. Thats means Salvas team lost the first map on server as they weren't ready. My team (in the other match) had to make up own tax while I was faffing about getting subs and checking everything was ok.

Please people, I give you up until 1 hour to unsign, if your not sure your going to make it please don't sign until the day. However I would appreciate it if you post in the forum, that you intend to sign so I can have an approximate number of players.

BTW there was a 5 minute warmup, i noticed some people claimed there was no warmup.

POINT 2: Map extension - My match extended to 6-6 - the match lasted 2hrs +. In the next tournament - Im removing the extension and setting best of 7. This means 1 team gets to pick a extra map, but so be it, Its better then having to replay same maps over and makes the game less tiresome. those that played in this match, dont let it put you off, trial and error - nothings perfect first time. It will definately be better next time.

POINT 3: Again map extension - when the match resumed it resumed with the wrong attack/defence order, well since extension will be removed for next time, it wont be a problem.

Please let me know your thoughts for the next tourny.

BTW Congrats to: Sudeki, Weezy, Ulv, Bossk, Skalman, Cyborg

Last edited:
I was a bit late because I cudnt sign IRC at start, but Ive fixed it now (was a router issue) - so first map was a bit chaotic for all I guess.

And we should limit the length of matches - no point if it takes as long as a std war. But for the rest was good fun :)

I completly agree with point 2, final match could have been far more enjoyable for everyone if meteor's team wasn't exausted after such a long match and noone can blame them, overall nice flame-free event (for the most part :rolleyes:) will be looking forward for the next one just as long as it doesn't come in such a short notice, could have been more organized, nonthless, great job xb!

I completly agree with point 2, final match could have been far more enjoyable for everyone if meteor's team wasn't exausted after such a long match and noone can blame them, overall nice flame-free event (for the most part :rolleyes:) will be looking forward for the next one just as long as it doesn't come in such a short notice, could have been more organized, nonthless, great job xb!

short notice is cause black ops is around the corner, i dont anticipate much pugging in the near future, so a once in a while pug tourny will be welcome.

sorry, something came up, i guess next time ill just wait till 1-2 hours before the event to be absolutely sure nothing comes up/i dont forget.
i'm glad it went relatively well, but i did call the "match taking forever with extensions" as a potential problem so ha!

I would open the signup just a few hours before it starts or keep an early signup but add some kind of confirmation short before it starts. This time it went relatively smooth but once more tourneys get played people will start taking their signup less serious, especially when u can signup days before.
Match length was another obvious problem, imo a best of 5 semi final and a best of 7 final, then have a match for 3rd place as well (dunno if that happened today) would be the best option. This way the tourneys shouldnt take longer than 2-3 hours.
Last thing I would change is the points system, having 1 point for the winning team only is pretty useless imo, could as well just not have a league and host it for fun only then. Imo there should be at least rewards for places 1-3 and maybe even for every map u win + an extra point for every captain. Only thing against this would be more administration work. However, do a little bit of coding and submitting results of every match would be enough information for an automated system.

Apart from that the first match was great, everything else worked out as well although there was some confusion at start. Second match was pretty much useless though, couldnt give Sudeki´s team a good fight anymore.

Heres my Summary of the first event:
(Shortened to the points I like to comment.)

POINT 2: Map extension - My match extended to 6-6 - the match lasted 2hrs +. In the next tournament - Im removing the extension and setting best of 7. This means 1 team gets to pick a extra map, but so be it, Its better then having to replay same maps over and makes the game less tiresome. those that played in this match, dont let it put you off, trial and error - nothings perfect first time. It will definately be better next time.

POINT 3: Again map extension - when the match resumed it resumed with the wrong attack/defence order, well since extension will be removed for next time, it wont be a problem.

Please let me know your thoughts for the next tourny.

BTW Congrats to: Sudeki, Weezy, Ulv, Bossk, Skalman, Cyborg

Every negligible point that was spotted in this first event is solved by your info already. Maybe the teams that face each other can declare the decider map or it can be a random generator that will choose it.

A predefined reasonable map length period will allow all players to have their free time not overstressed used, and will help also, that all players that reach the final can end it themself without a mercs need.

Also from my side Congratulations to the Final Winners!

I would open the signup just a few hours before it starts or keep an early signup but add some kind of confirmation short before it starts. This time it went relatively smooth but once more tourneys get played people will start taking their signup less serious, especially when u can signup days before.
Match length was another obvious problem, imo a best of 5 semi final and a best of 7 final, then have a match for 3rd place as well (dunno if that happened today) would be the best option. This way the tourneys shouldnt take longer than 2-3 hours.
Last thing I would change is the points system, having 1 point for the winning team only is pretty useless imo, could as well just not have a league and host it for fun only then. Imo there should be at least rewards for places 1-3 and maybe even for every map u win + an extra point for every captain. Only thing against this would be more administration work. However, do a little bit of coding and submitting results of every match would be enough information for an automated system.

Apart from that the first match was great, everything else worked out as well although there was some confusion at start. Second match was pretty much useless though, couldnt give Sudeki´s team a good fight anymore.

I agree that all players (also mercs) should gain points for each important event that is won. It does not make much sense that you play more events and in the end are able to not reach one single countable score.

My To Do List:
  1. Update Match Limit to Best of 7 (Semi-Final and Final) (done)
  2. Update Scoring System (4 Team Tournament) - 3 Points for Winning Team, 1 Point For 2nd place (done)
  3. Update Scoring System (2 Team Tournament) - 2 Points for Winning Team (done)
  4. Update Captain Bonus - +1 instead of x2 (done)
  5. Add a FAQ
  6. Update Status page - will be first come first serve signup.

My biggest concern at the moment is player numbers, especially when signups are at around 16 players. This time there was a lot of interest so we reached 24 players and could play 2 x 6v6.

8-9 Signups = 4v4 = Meh
10-11 Signups = 5v5 = OK
12-15 Signups = 6v6 = OK
16-19 Signups = 2x 4v4 = Meh
20-23 Signups = 2x 5v5 = OK
24+ Signups = 2x 6v6 = OK

With 16 players we have to play 2 x 4v4, which IMO is the least desirable format, but i have the feeling this is going to be the normal number of signups. Do people have suggestions to avoid this situation, would you rather player 1x 6v6 and sit out a few maps in turn?

Last edited:
I dont have anything against 4v4 personally. If I was captain a situation with 8 players of which only 6 can play would be a far less desirable situation for me. Its pretty much impossible to have everyone play nearly the same amount of maps but still field a winning team + substituting every map makes it kinda hard to get a good teamplay going.
Captains would have to agree on some kind of player rotation to keep maps even (imagine one team sitting their best players while the other team has their worst players sitting on a map or having one captain playing with his best team all the time while another captain keeps rotating). So just for balancing issues I would already play 4vs4 with 16 players + its not really that much fun for people who keep getting substituted every 2 maps.

If it was my cup I would keep teams same size. Which people dont get to play although they signed is disputable. That could be related to signup order (signup gets confirmed once so many people sign after u that a by 4 dividable number is signed, rest is on standby and can replace people who dont turn up), people who aint on irc short before player picking starts get kicked preferably, I guess even asking for volunteers to unsign would work.

Last edited:
I dont have anything against 4v4 personally. If I was captain a situation with 8 players of which only 6 can play would be a far less desirable situation for me. Its pretty much impossible to have everyone play nearly the same amount of maps but still field a winning team + substituting every map makes it kinda hard to get a good teamplay going.
Captains would have to agree on some kind of player rotation to keep maps even (imagine one team sitting their best players while the other team has their worst players sitting on a map or having one captain playing with his best team all the time while another captain keeps rotating). So just for balancing issues I would already play 4vs4 with 16 players + its not really that much fun for people who keep getting substituted every 2 maps.

If it was my cup I would keep teams same size. Which people dont get to play although they signed is disputable. That could be related to signup order (signup gets confirmed once so many people sign after u that a by 4 dividable number is signed, rest is on standby and can replace people who dont turn up), people who aint on irc short before player picking starts get kicked preferably, I guess even asking for volunteers to unsign would work.

Thats something im thinking about. e.g the signup list could show 15 players. 12 are in white text, 3 get listed in green as subs. Once another signs then the number goes to 16 and everyone turns white. if another signs then and its 17 players. the first 16 are white, the last is green (sub) etc

I agree

Thats something im thinking about. e.g the signup list could show 15 players. 12 are in white text, 3 get listed in green as subs. Once another signs then the number goes to 16 and everyone turns white. if another signs then and its 17 players. the first 16 are white, the last is green (sub) etc

excellent way of doing it, those who sign first play at the "ideal" number, anyone after is a sub, if the next tier is reached the subs become players at a higher team size gjgjgjg

If you start sign up on matchday at 12gmt I probably can't play that often because from time to time I'm working weekends aswell (including sunday afternoon), and hf signing up 10 minutes before game starts.

My To Do List:
  1. Update Match Limit to Best of 7 (Semi-Final and Final) (done)
  2. Update Scoring System (4 Team Tournament) - 3 Points for Winning Team, 1 Point For 2nd place (done)
  3. Update Scoring System (2 Team Tournament) - 2 Points for Winning Team (done)
  4. Update Captain Bonus - +1 instead of x2 (done)
  5. Add a FAQ
  6. Update Status page - will be first come first serve signup.

NEW TOURNAMENT ADDED (THIS SUNDAY @ 19:30GMT) - SIGNUPS CLOSE 21st November 18:45GMT

RULES:
1. Captains to be in IRC by 19:00GMT for instructions and picking. #pugleague (so if you volunteer please make sure you are around @ 19gmt)
2. Players to be in IRC by 19:15GMT (else subs will be found)
3. No Shows = 1 Tournament suspension (regardless of reason)
4. Since the map extensions has been removed its possible (but very unlikely) that the match ends 3-3 +1 Tie. If this is the case the match extension will kick in (usually takes 2 minutes) only the NEXT MAP counts - the winner will progress (you will have to finish the following map)

I've updated a few things on the website - still a few more things to adjust - the last tournaments scores have been updated to reflect the new scoring system. If I have time i will do it during the week, otherwise it will be updated for the following tournament.
If you notice any errors on the site please let me know

Last edited:
1 week in advance for signups? imo it would be better to announce a pugleague with a 1 week notice but making it so people can only sign 2 days or so before the event to prevent noshows, even with the suspension rule it can be a bitch if someone signs up early and some thing comes up later on in the week.
or make it so you can unsign until 2 days before the event (unless you can already do so), just my 2 cents :deal:

Won't sign in just yet since my b'day is in monday, as tradition I plan to go out but not until the wee hours of late sunday, but in case I can't make it I expect you to collect some points for the ub3rs xb :thumb:

1 week in advance for signups? imo it would be better to announce a pugleague with a 1 week notice but making it so people can only sign 2 days or so before the event to prevent noshows, even with the suspension rule it can be a bitch if someone signs up early and some thing comes up later on in the week.
or make it so you can unsign until 2 days before the event (unless you can already do so), just my 2 cents :deal:

Won't sign in just yet since my b'day is in monday, as tradition I plan to go out but not until the wee hours of late sunday, but in case I can't make it I expect you to collect some points for the ub3rs xb :thumb:

Cyborg, you can unsign anytime before the signup close time