What next?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Rich

Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted
Jun 7, 2001
Omnipresent
Where is the next game with longevity gonna come from?

Quake2, Halflife(counterstrike), Quake 3,UT

In a relatively short space of time a group of games were made that got it right with game play and interaction but since these titles has there been anything to equal them.

I havent played a game in years that grabbed me like any of these..

so Whats next all consol releases, playing FPS with a joypad?

yup, i've been playin MW2 on xbox360, but its not the same, dunno how the COD series plays on PC

Short answer: There's no next game. I don't think I'll ever be as attached to a game as I was to UT. They just don't appeal to me as much anymore. Can't see it changing either looking at what games are out there today :/

same here maxis

all the stuff about launches and trix in AS
other games are only killing and teamplay, but not that special thing AS had/has

also i read somewhere that the ki on xbox games is lower than on pc, cause of the better aiming on pc :o

i think it was about bioshock 3

Minecraft can last for ages. But it's ugly as hell.
Any RTS also got replay value, for online play. Starcraft 2 ?

And ofcourse MMO's :D!

i dont think its that there are no games. I bet theres loads of games kids are playing that have grabbed there attention and they will keep playing that same game for many years. I think its that most of us have grown up and now cant find a game that we will enjoy on the same level as ut.... It will never be the same....some of us still play UT....in our minds it cant be beaten by anything. 10 YEARS still going, thats quite something.

Btw if anyone wants to try im making a black ops "clan"
http://forums.utassault.net/showthread.php?p=1592965#post1592965

Last edited:
down to the last letter what i wanted to say, xb.

edit:
except for the last two lines :P

Last edited:
Yeah, its just because we're old farts now. I think TF2 is a great game, with lots of gameplay value, and expansions coming out periodically, but i'm just not bothered to get into playing it hardcore again.

Yeah, its just because we're old farts now. I think TF2 is a great game, with lots of gameplay value, and expansions coming out periodically, but i'm just not bothered to get into playing it hardcore again.

Yupp. Id love a few molre rounds on Guardia tho :snot::)

btw any1 tried installing UT or hl on win7 64 bit?

I thought something like Arma 2 might do it, cos it's massive and really immersive. Very steep learning curve, but it's much deeper than the likes of Modern Warfare.

another point is internet gaming was relatively new when we all started playing. There were only a few choices so people crammed into those games which resulted in them all having a longer life then the current crop - UT, Quake and CS (im sure a 1 or 2 more games)

But honestly I do agree with Rich and I think large part of it (at least for our community) is that UT's gameplay is still top notch (cant say i care for CTF or DM too much). Assault still has unbeatable gameplay.

in FPS area i do believe that till now, there are no games available that play so well like the ones Rich mentioned. And the main reasons were stated already, the constant update and new versions showing up, with very small changes that basically change nothing in the games (engine) but only in the looks and small game play details. ( looks at the cod series nowadays 2 studios working constantly in a new games while another one is being played. the industry is huge and money talks ... and in a business point of view not making profit it's pointless
PS. CoD 2, and TO could easily be on that list thought lasted years and were very competitive and good games.

Outside the FPS world games like starcraft, Age of Empires (conquerous), and couple of other strategy games still last :) or are properly updated with communitty feedback and quality. eg: starcraft 1 --- starcraft 2 . same strategy but big failure UT --- and any other version after IT

Where is the next game with longevity gonna come from?

Quake2, Halflife(counterstrike), Quake 3,UT

In a relatively short space of time a group of games were made that got it right with game play and interaction but since these titles has there been anything to equal them.

I havent played a game in years that grabbed me like any of these..

so Whats next all consol releases, playing FPS with a joypad?

Richey Boy. You never did really actually play did you? You just sort of turned up and died a lot. We're all old farts now and online gaming isn't what I wanna do any more. Too busy making money. They were good times and now they're over. Jog on.