soccer / football thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Champions League Group Stages

Group A: Inter Milan, Werder Bremen, TOTTENHAM, FC Twente
Group B: Lyon, Benfica, Schalke, Hapoel Tel Aviv
Group C: MANCHESTER UNITED, Valencia, RANGERS, Bursaspor
Group D: FC Barcelona, Panathinaikos, FC Copenhagen, Rubin Kazan
Group E: Bayern Munich, AS Roma, FC Basel, CFR Cluj
Group F: CHELSEA, Marseille, Spartak Moscow, MSK Zilina
Group G: AC Milan, Real Madrid, Ajax, Auxerre
Group H: ARSENAL, Shakhtar Donetsk, SC Braga, FK Partisan

anyone fancy one of the outsiders to qualify from the group?

Lets make predictions:

A: Inter + Werder
B: Benfica + Schalke
C: ManU + Valencia
D: Barca + Kazan
E: Bayern + Roma
F: Chelsea + Moskow
G: Milan + Real
H: Arsenal + Braga

Can't see any of the top seeds not qualifying, but to make it less boring I predicted Lyon to go out!

A: Inter + tottenham
B: Benfica + Schalke
C: ManU + Valencia
D: Barca + Copenhagen
E: Bayern + Roma
F: Chelsea + Marseille
G: Real + AFC Ajax
H: Arsenal + Braga

Liverpool Football Club tonight issued the following press statement:

The Board of Directors have received two excellent financial offers to buy the Club that would repay all its long-term debt. A Board meeting was called today to review these bids and approve a sale. Shortly prior to the meeting, the owners - Tom Hicks and George Gillett - sought to remove Managing Director Christian Purslow and Commercial Director Ian Ayre from the Board, seeking to replace them with Mack Hicks and Lori Kay McCutheon.

This matter is now subject to legal review and a further announcement will be made in due course.

Meanwhile Martin Broughton, Christian Purslow and Ian Ayre continue to explore every possible route to achieving a sale of the Club at the earliest opportunity.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/liverpool-fc-statement-3

This is what they're dealing with. ffs YANKS OUT!

This is how loved the american owners are among Liverpool supporters..

:footy: YNWA! :footy:

same thing @ Man united, American Owners fucking it up, think we should ban all American owners!
Yes that was my initial thought aswell until I realised one of the credible bids looking to take over Liverpool is an American consortium of some kind..

sigh.. YANKS IN!? :confused:

anyway, they're a fucking joke. be it hicks&gillet or glazers doesn't matter. They're ruining 2 great institutions. It's there for all to see, they shouldn't be allowed to buy a club with debt fs.

I hope things turn out better for Manchester United. I mean, as much as I dislike you lot I wouldn't wish this farce and nightmare upon any club. It's disgusting. I hope your early form isn't a sign of things to come..

YANKS OUT!

Cautiously optimistic!

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/board-agree-proposed-sale

Liverpool Football Club today announces that the Board has agreed the sale of the Club to New England Sports Ventures (NESV).

New England Sports Ventures currently owns a portfolio of companies including the Boston Red Sox, New England Sports Network, Fenway Sports Group and Roush Fenway Racing.

And a message from Martin Broughton who oversaw the sale:

Keep the faith. We said we would deliver the best buyers for the club and I think we have delivered exactly that. I know they've been frustrated by not getting a running commentary and I know a fan wants to know what's going on. I thank them for their patience because I do believe the only way you really get these things done is out of the media glare and it's difficult to do it out of the media glare, but we've found the right owners. I thank them for their patience, their support, keep the faith, this is going to work. They're with us.

Fingers crossed!