Windows 7

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

I just would like to add something:

I have got an old 3rd machine with an Intel Celeron 1,3Ghz, 2x512MB RAM and cuz the Mainboard is PCI only - a PCI GFX-Card (Radeon 9200 128MB)

I can really say Windows7 runs at least as smooth as Windows XP on this machine.

I guess Vista is/was the only killer of the resources :P

Personally I like Windows 7 more cuz the new/modern hardware is way better supported and even a huge bit of the older hardware as well, where as Windows XP is some kind of outdated really.

But everyone has got his own opinion about it and it's pointless to talk or discuss about it :P

I know that old NT4 is still used in many places - everyone thinks what the fuck... why this old crap. But it works and it's controlable... if you want a real secure and stable system you should never go to the latest shit MS released. Sure they will bring updates and fixes if they find a new issue, but who finds it in first place? MS or someone else? And why didn't MS find it in first place? And fix it before giving out the Programm?!.

What you want x64 in office for? Most Business Software still only handle x32 - or there will be never x64 versions... you ain't benefit that much from x64.... Some Programms are much faster - but most uesed Office Product is MS Office... ah wait x64 Support since Version 2010 now supports x64...

What you need >4GB for MS Office anyways?

If you have software running costing thousands of Euro why should you buy a new version so you can move to Win7 and x64 ?!? Also you'll get your workers and admins crazy when you have all diffrent system mixed...

As i said XP_PS3 has most SATA drivers ready... And it was allways that Hardware was ahead of OS Installation CDs ... and it will ever! Thats why - if you want the lastest Hardware you have to care about drivers yourself... doesn't mean The OS is totally wrong...

Jez it's still not long ago when you needed a 1,44Floppy to have your drivers during install... no i-net avail...
And just now everyone demands that a OS will install without a single touch?!

Loading all drivers to Win7/Vista - thanks to need more diskspace...

And NO Win7 will allways require more RAM more HDD... i don't know why you think it needs less...

add them to a new made Win7-install image and reburn a starting DVD.
Yeah, very usable :nod:
err i hope you mean XP...

Well for XP you can do this - write you own Installation Routine with all drivers and Programms you want... thats super especially when you have to do more than 1 comp... Ah wait Vista and Win7 it's not that easy...

(libraries, better searching, HAL-independ, window lock, new taskbar, qick filesystem browsing, etc),
äh whats that good for`? really i don't know it and i run Vista plus had my time with Win7

did you even try Win7?
Win7 doesn not need much more RAM than a normal XP does (Dont get fooled by Superfetch and precaching).
And even when it takes 10% more, Win7 is the only reasonable way to get a windows 64bit system. Noone would and should buy XP64 or Vista 64bit nowadys anymore.

How could MS dare to fuck up PUG players? :nono:
becuse a game that was made 1999 is a reasonable argument against modern software.

As i said i tried Win7 out - especially x64 as i Run more than 4GB RAM... And some fatures are nice like window docking - or if you rename a file and its already there it not just so NO FU but gives a way to keep the new name+(2)

But windows docking is not a new thing of Win7 only... Win7 has tons of stuff i didn't explored yet... but why change a running system if you not need to? Win7 has the best Installation Routine true... thats very good - but that only matters for home users, gamers etc... and still most ppl get a new PC with preinstalled OS they have to burn themself... And so many get fucked with it when they forget to burn their InstallDVD in time.

WinXP is stable, secure need less resources and is fine... most Programms run on it(more than Vista/Win7)

If you want a new OS (like i didn't want old-looking XP anymore plus from time to time i want DX10) then go get a Win7. And if you're free and have no "old" Programms that you use running x32 only then you defnetly should go Win7x64. But if you have those Programms then you should stay with XP32!

And Problem with UTDC and Win7x64 was not that MS was wrong... But Admins here and there did not find a way to workaround... so it was just wierd what Win7 does to UTDC... (think only 2.1c). I mean what the fuck - WHY does MS fuckes around that hard with Win7x64...

(Why does MS fuck up Office so hard since v2007? Really bullshit!) New is not equal to better...

So to end this... as i said: Install XP and Win7 in dualboot... try out win7 some time and then you'll not want to change back... then you can still kill XP forever... but when your getting uncompfortable with Win7 you can also fall back to XP...

i wont replay to every statement you made, mainly because i cba.

Just one thing:
Sure for office you dont need 64bit. Hell you even do not need XP. Install DOS+Win 3.1 and Office. :rolleyes:

Also: i see this at my working place. we get new computers (even Laptops) with 4GB at minimum.
So you've new machine but lose memory, because you've an outdated OS.
In 2013, when every PC has 8 or 16GB RAM by default you still wanna use XP? Ridiculous :lol:
XP64 bit is no serious OS. :p:

So upgrading to Win7 64bit is also a way of looking into the future

I've come to like Windows 7. I have it on my home machine and on 2 laptops. I didn't like Vista.

A few features I like on Win 7 compared to XP

• You can see thumbnails of programs when alt+tabing or hovering over the task bar. This works for video, poker clients, practically anything.
  • The ability to pin programs to the dock/bar at the bottom
  • UAC - personally I've come to expect programs to prompt me for installation. I don't believe for a minute that it's anymore secure, but it's nice to know which programs actually want to make changes to the computer and which just want to run.
  • Sleep mode works - it doesn't take 10 mins to start up/shut down each time you want to shut the lid of your laptop or put the computer to sleep.
  • Trim support for SSD drives

There is other stuff which has moved locations, or isn't where you expect it to be - so I can understand people not like the OS because they don't want to learn new things.

And I'd guess that's what some of the people on these forums are like - they don't like change.

Playing the same game
On the same computer
With the same people
Flaming the same people
Every day.
All day.
Till the day you die.

I've installd Win7 32bit on my sister PC, she doesn't play much games but when she does it's usually MS2 or Dragon Age.
She gets really weird textures in these games, in place of normal graphic very often there are 'white' textures.
Seems like it's not being displayed properly.
Attepting to reinstall gfx drivers and upgrading dx solved nothing, problem is still there, funny thing because on XP everything works perfect.

This kind of stuff stops me from installing win7 on my pc, because we've been looking for a solution and so far even customer support is helpless.

And I'd guess that's what some of the people on these forums are like - they don't like change.

Playing the same game
On the same computer
With the same people
Flaming the same people
Every day.
All day.
Till the day you die.
aye, that's what i say since decades, but let them....dont wont change :p

UAC - personally I've come to expect programs to prompt me for installation. I don't believe for a minute that it's anymore secure, but it's nice to know which programs actually want to make changes to the computer and which just want to run.

UAC is totally bullshit in my point of view.

If you do alot of installs like at the start of your new OS then you just have tons of "klick-yes" windows.. that means you'll not read them all but klick yes, yes - so the many UAC messges just result in that you ignore those messages... witch makes UAC totally sensless - also give a wrong freeling of safety

Well when the coputer is installed then you get only rare warnings - so then it might be okay

solution is to deaktivate UAC at buildup and then later turn it on again... Also Win7 has decreased the Number of Messages compare to Vista - that was defnetly needed...

On the other Hand my PFW 7 years ago provided me the same option, also much stronger.... i could set rules for "allow allways" "never" or "decide each time"... it not only blocked programms at install or with admin rights ect... but it was also able to show me if Programm A is allowed to start/modify Programm B...

I miss that since x64... as this PFW is not supporting x64...

So thats what i mean - some "Parts" are good in Win7 - new features - but they were around on XP already, they where Programms you had to install on your own...

On the other hand if you don't want those new features in Win7/Vista you have to disable them - not possible to deinstall - So what i allways hate "Microsoft is thinking how to do the user a favour!" but you're foced to get this "help" and it takes a lot of time to just turn this overhelping bullshit off!

Never change a running system.
Thats so true!

If you want do experiments, if you have problems, if you need the new feature DX10 or if you want to buy a new OS - then Win7 is defnetly the best thing you can do

But for no reason - NO keep the good old system like XP.

And what Anti said about the Problems with his sisters laptop - well thats only one case... normally ppl ain't have problems with Win7. But its like when i was new with Vistax64 - i had a bug and MS was unable to help it - so i had to change back to XP... Then a year later the same Bug is fixed - and i'm finally good with Vista...

Point is that new Programms/Hardware are not as bugfree as "old" stuff.. if you want to the testbunny go for it - but don't cry if you have a lot of work noone can help you..

If you search through the forums you'll see that I was 100% against Vista, mainly for rights and privacy issues. Those issues still exist in Windows 7 - but these days where everyone has an iPod and no rights whatsoever, it's not the biggest worry.

Windows 7 is what Vista should've been, for the Microsoft family it's a quality finished product.

There is absolutely no reason to use XP unless you are playing a 10 year old game, using 10 year old hardware, or have your computer joined to a Windows domain.

I don't tell ppl go go for Vista i really know thats the worst OS by Microsoft... but the reason for me to keep Vista64 and not go for Win7 is simple:

I don't want to BUY a new OS... i have what i want and it works perfect...

So after ACE is up Win7x64 and UT works great - before it was working also but UTDC didn't work...
So UT has nothing to do with Win7x64...

And really Win7 is supporting most Hardware so also 10year old Hardware is no reason against Win7.

Only using Programms that still not work at x64 should make you rethink - why go for Win7x32 - for work its useless to get it if you have WinXP.

It's just - why you want to change? if not for fancy GUI? But i feel alone with this... :rolleyes:

I've not had a single program not working in Windows 7.

There's plenty of enhancements in Win 7 vs Win XP (which i've already mentioned).

So unless you expect to use Win XP for another 5 years, why not upgrade to Win 7 now and take advantage of it?

MS2, DA:O aren't 10 years old games, they are new, yet win7 doesn't run them properly, at least not on ever pc spec.

I've not had a single program not working in Windows 7.

There's plenty of enhancements in Win 7 vs Win XP (which i've already mentioned).

So unless you expect to use Win XP for another 5 years, why not upgrade to Win 7 now and take advantage of it?

First there is so plenty of software - especially very expensive business software - that does not run with x64 OS.

So Martz, there is a reason why to keep XP32 - cause going for a Win7_32 is only a small step into the future - what really makes sense is to go for Win7x64 but as i said... many very important and expensiv programs are not working at all.

So buying a Win7x32 now and then later a Win7x64 is not worth it! (you have to change your system twice and it's not granted that Win7x64 runs if Win7x32 does...

And Win7 was released very close after Vista... so in 5 years there might be a new OS by MS? Ah if you buy now and then in 3 years you have a Win7 witch is outdated like a XP32SP1!

If you need a new OS - check if your system and programs can handle x64 - then go and buy Win7x64 - if you ain't want x64 and dont need DX10 WinXP will serve you very well till 2014 - and prolly further on...

Since it is an endless discussion. If you have an old PC use Win XP. Incase new, fast and modern PC hardware is present, Win 7 64 Bit is useful and if needed and compatible XP can still be used as an extended enrichment.

Last edited:
MS2, DA:O aren't 10 years old games, they are new, yet win7 doesn't run them properly, at least not on ever pc spec.

I'm not sure what MS2 is, but I know a friend of mine plays Dragon Age Origins on Win 7 without any problems. I understand what you're saying though, that certain configurations cause problems with games. I think it's pretty safe to say that all games out there have bugs, patches etc. It's to be expected.

First there is so plenty of software - especially very expensive business software - that does not run with x64 OS.

This is a gaming forum, I'd expect the number of people who legally use expensive business software is between 0 and 5. Those people can certainly afford the Win 7 software upgrade, and also they'll get their patches from Adobe, Autocad, etc to enable their software to work.

In general terms, pretty much all software which worked with Vista will work on Windows 7.

So Martz, there is a reason why to keep XP32 - cause going for a Win7_32 is only a small step into the future - what really makes sense is to go for Win7x64 but as i said... many very important and expensiv programs are not working at all.

So buying a Win7x32 now and then later a Win7x64 is not worth it! (you have to change your system twice and it's not granted that Win7x64 runs if Win7x32 does...

It's a giant leep forward in terms of usability. For the loss of a couple of games or apps (which I haven't experienced) the GUI improvements and support for the very latest hardware (SSD) far, far outweight the disadvantages.

Since it is an endless discussion. If you have an old PC use Win XP. Incase new, fast and modern PC hardware is present, Win 7 64 Bit is useful and if needed and compatible XP can still be used as an extended enrichment.

You're right.

I think I could find (on these forums) people who refused to upgrade to Windows 2000, Windows ME*, Windows XP, Service Packs etc.. for the exact same reasons though.

* OK Windows ME is a bad example!