soccer / football thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

And as for RM, I count about 75M in for the last 3 years and about 300M outgoing, thats balanced!

These are the teams that have problems, the ones that have a vast difference between what is spent and what is earned in transfers, means they have to make up 225M from other sources, if a team can swap their team about and it doesnt cost too much in the end then I cant see where the problem lies in that?

Evra vidic etc were 2007, last I checked thats THREE YEARS AGO! :P

OK, so we are talking about 3 years. Ronaldo was sold last summer for £80m right? So that leaves £40m in and about £115m out over the 2 years before Ronaldo was sold. The only way the transfers are balancing out is the fortunate sale of this 1 player. They have accumulated so much debt by being run poorly by the Glazers, but also unnecessary transfers for back up players has also added to it.

Like I said, nowhere near the RM/MCFC level.

I included Tevez cos it wasnt a normal loan deal. This 1 cost more than most transfers!

Evra, 10th Jan 2006 estimated £5.5M
Vidic, 6th jan 2006, estimated £7M

Now just a wild guess and correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure that 2006 is firstly not 2007 and secondly its more than 3 years ago, again I could be wrong. Its obvisouly hard to use google and check facts before correcting someone! I mean these were almost from 2005! come on Torp, you should be better than this.

You can spin the view on their transfers however you want, how about they knew that Ronaldo was a prized asset and could be sold for an inflated fee to some team especially with RM sniffing around for a number of years. Once this was established they decided they could strengthen their team by spending money on players safe in the knowledge that they had a way of offsetting the expenditure, Ronaldo had a long contract so there was no danger of him going for free any time soon.

these facts are brought to you by wikipedia so as such may be completely fabricated and I accept no liability in whatever way they are used.

They are ALL FALSE!! You editted wiki etc :P

A 4 year period though where only 1 transfers gets close to balancing them.

I still think the FA should cap the amount allowed to be spent. About £75m per season should suffice. It would stop these exaggerated transfer fees and stop big money teams pilaging teams for young players they wont use.

:lol:

www.transferleague.co.uk gives a rough indication of expenditure and returns, im sure theyve got a few valuations wrong and are missing a few transfers but as a rough guide its good enough.

I think you would need a lower cap, even £75M is a lot more than most English teams spend, they should either cap it against revenue generated from football or fix it at something like 50M but do you roll this over?
Some teams will spend 100M one season and next to nothing the next depending on whether their purchases paid off or not. Capping the transfers would certainly help push through new talent from within England as bigger teams will need to get players from somewhere but the majority of debt I think is coming from being poorly run especially with takeovers and sugar daddy loans rather than solely high fees spent on transfers.
You may find its detrimental to lower div teams that will lose young players very early on as bigger teams snap them up for next to nothing rather than waiting to see if they develop and have potential.

Oehhhh heard there's gonna be an interesting swap deal! (rumour)

Huntelaar is going to Liverpool, while Babel makes the other way round and goes to AC Milan

supposedly it's only gonna happen when they sell Torres from what I hear now :o

Nothing in the news here about it.

Teams are allowed to have more than 2 strikers Jackal :P - Also Torres injured atm and isn-t Jovanic more like Kuyt? In he can play anywhere across the front 6?

Van Bommel aint the youngest anymore, so Khedira would be a good backup/replacement of him imo.

well yes but if bayern dont get him now it will be pretty hard to get him later. so its just like bayern does it all the time. buy a player and let him sit somewhere outside till they need him or not ;)

Nothing in the news here about it.

Teams are allowed to have more than 2 strikers Jackal :P - Also Torres injured atm and isn-t Jovanic more like Kuyt? In he can play anywhere across the front 6?

Plenty of british media/websites reporting that it's in the works but imo, it's not a very solid one to be fair.

There are only a very small handful of trustworthy British rags to be fair :P

Media in italy is far better in terms of accuracy and there has been nothing in Gazzetta dello sport or other sports media.

One can hope though, can't he. I wish we could let him go for a decent price, though I don't know who'd actually pay up for Babel lol :lol: