Predictions/Chat: World Cup 2010

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

@Gazz:

I seem to have hit a nerve? :x
I have already stated that I don't blame the referee for anything, I realize their job is tough enough as it is.
In my first post I noted that if there was 1 thing he didn't do, it was letting the game flow. Off course he has to stop play for (bad) fouls. If you think that is what I mean by not letting the game flow I question your intelligence, or lack of it. But he seemingly stopped play for every small contact, and how many times could he have played advantage but didn't? I can remember at least on 5 occasions. To me, that is holding up the play unneccesary, which frustrates both sides and everyone watching.

I am biased in the sense of me supporting NL, but I'm interested to find out which statements in particular I have made which have prompted you to not take my comments seriously? Should I disregard all your comments concerning Mr Webb since you are English?
In fact, all I have said about the ref was that I think he didn't let the game flow as much as he could, and that he's made really bad decisions on both sides, which lead me to the conclusion that he's had a bad game. Of course he's tried his best, that's the least anyone can do tbh, doesn't mean he can't have a bad game.

I am completely flabbergasted as to why you come up with these examples of how NL got lucky, or how Spain could've had a red card as well. I merely stated that the man made bad decisions on both sides, do u think I didn't incluse all those moments in that statement? And don't you indirectly agree with me that Webb was poor on the night considering all these moments you mentioned?
And where have I said or given u the impression that 'I felt agrieved at some of the decisions made by the ref'? :confused:
I merely countered ur previous posting because I disliked like the way u addressed previous posters, including myself, using words such as 'hilariously biased' and 'crazy comments'. Much like how u questioned my sanity in ur last posting, for which you have already received my stab-back in this posting.

Regardless, you have clearly made your mind up and can believe what you wish!
Regardless, you have clearly shown that you fail at reading! :p:

popcorn.gif

Tbh the referee made pretty much the best possible out of this game (in terms of not ending the game early due to referee decisions). There was not 1 undeserved yellow card and he tried really anything possible to keep it 11vs11. I dont think it would have been better if he followed the rules strictly so NL would have had 9 players at half time and 7 at the end.
Without a doubt he often stopped the game but there is not really a chance when u look at how NL played. If he had not stopped the game for the smaller fouls as well it would have just got even rougher.
Sure Iniesta could (and usually would) have got a yellow card coz he kept asking for cards but u cant give him a yellow card when u let robben get away with shooting the ball away at the same time (and saying Iniesta would have had 3 yellow cards for doing that for 3 times is a little ignorant as he would have obviously stopped after 1 yellow).
However, a red card for Iniesta would have been hilarious, he pushed van Bommel a bit when he ran into him and he fell like being run over by a truck (makes it even funnier when u look at how small Iniesta is compared to van Bommel).

Of course Spain were diving as usual but compared to other games in this one there wasnt much diving needed (and NL was diving just as well). Im just glad NL didnt succeed with that playing style as it was terrible to watch and a shame for any WC final.
Still NL could have easily won if Robben wasnt being that stupid. No idea how he could miss these great chances or y he didnt just fall down when Puyol held him, probably too egoistic in that moment. Of course u can find excuses why it wasnt that easy to score but in the end hes a goalgetter and has to make both of them.

:lol:

On the contrary anni, looks like I have hit a nerve with u! I think you would do well to alter my general apathy towards virtually everything posted on these forums ;)

I will write sth more constructive later as my phone is being difficult and isn't displaying your epic post in its entirety!

I wouldn't recommend going down the personal insult route, similarly don't pretend I care of you do. Intelligence? Please I think we both know neither of us are stupid (hopefully). You make some valid points and I did not read all your posts - still I'll try and explain myself clearer when I get chance later :p

I agree with fish, I actually spent quite alot of time watching the ref as he was English. Webb made the best of a really horrible situation. His biggest mistake was not seeing the corner before the goal. And even then there was lots of play time inbetween that mistake and the goal.

I also think most of the fouls deserved play to be stopped, i didnt see many niggly/small tackles where he blew the whistle. It really felt like a war out there.

HE was also very authoritative in the way he spoke to the players (he is a policeman u know), but maybe too kind letting "final warnings" instead of yellows. In all honesty if he should have sent off all the players (de jong, robben, vam bommel, heitinga, iniesta and and puyol) the game would have been over quicker and he would have been blasted anyway.

The outcome would still have been a Spain Win.

I am certain has the game gone to penalties hardly anyone would have criticised the referee

Last edited:
I agree on howard doing a good job. The game was pretty terrible and far from an easy match for the ref. I think he did a pretty good job at keeping the game going as much as possible. It's just that there were alot of challenges that couldnt just be ignored.

Considering the big mistakes i've seen refs made this WC i'd say the english / mexicans (i think, with the offside goal) have alot more reason to complain than the dutch whomissed a corner at best.

@Gazz:

I seem to have hit a nerve? :x
I have already stated that I don't blame the referee for anything, I realize their job is tough enough as it is.
In my first post I noted that if there was 1 thing he didn't do, it was letting the game flow. Off course he has to stop play for (bad) fouls. If you think that is what I mean by not letting the game flow I question your intelligence, or lack of it. But he seemingly stopped play for every small contact, and how many times could he have played advantage but didn't? I can remember at least on 5 occasions. To me, that is holding up the play unneccesary, which frustrates both sides and everyone watching.

Ok, i don't agree and it seems others share my opinion, however you are entitled to this view so we will just have to agree to disagree on that. Ill let your intelligence quip go since I can see you took my previous post perhaps a bit too personally. :)

I am biased in the sense of me supporting NL, but I'm interested to find out which statements in particular I have made which have prompted you to not take my comments seriously? Should I disregard all your comments concerning Mr Webb since you are English?
In fact, all I have said about the ref was that I think he didn't let the game flow as much as he could, and that he's made really bad decisions on both sides, which lead me to the conclusion that he's had a bad game. Of course he's tried his best, that's the least anyone can do tbh, doesn't mean he can't have a bad game.

I am not saying your comments should be disregarded but I stand by the fact that I do not believe them to be objective since you are biased - yes by virtue of supporting NL. I would have the same issue had it been England, I suspect.

I have no preference for or against Howard Webb, to me he is simply a referee and him being English makes no difference. I believe my comments about him to be acurrate from what I saw during the game.

I am completely flabbergasted as to why you come up with these examples of how NL got lucky, or how Spain could've had a red card as well. I merely stated that the man made bad decisions on both sides, do u think I didn't incluse all those moments in that statement? And don't you indirectly agree with me that Webb was poor on the night considering all these moments you mentioned?
And where have I said or given u the impression that 'I felt agrieved at some of the decisions made by the ref'? :confused:

I agree with you on certain points about him being poor, he did make some mistakes. As previously said I do not agree on the extent of what you percieve to be his failings.

If you dont feel agrieved, why are we talking about it here? Its not a bad thing, he made some mistakes which went against NL, if that was England I would be agrieved.

I merely countered ur previous posting because I disliked like the way u addressed previous posters, including myself, using words such as 'hilariously biased' and 'crazy comments'. Much like how u questioned my sanity in ur last posting, for which you have already received my stab-back in this posting.

Regardless, you have clearly shown that you fail at reading! :p:

I didnt specifically address anyone initially, merely implied that I thought some of the comments in here were, unusual, to say the least. I specifically questioned your sanity yes, however obviously this has an element of tongue in cheek. I do not actually believe you to be insane :lol:

Again, a strange attempt at some kind of insult at the end, willing to let it go again since its largely irrelevant :P

I believe what i said in general has been, in some part, echoed by Fish and XB, although perhaps they put it in a better/less antagonising way ;) I agree with them both anyway.

the dutch view on the issue is abit ridiculous
I heard statements from dutch players and media saying that the referee make them lose.
Plain stupid.
Seriously, the dutch team was clearly outplayed. They played ugly never played as fluint as Spain. As a result they fouled and moaned. So they didnt deserve the cup at all.

"battle of nuremberg" 2006 and final of 2010. Not mentioning 1990 with disgusting Frank Rijkaard. Maybe such behaviour is no coincidence? :P

oh come on bart. Nl - portugal on previous WC was brilliant :P

yes it was, but that doesnt mean that it was a brilliant FOOTBALL game.
When i wanna watch guys fighting then i go to Ultimate Fighting. In a football match that is inappropriate. :P
Especially not, when the match is seen as the biggest in world football (like a WC final)

"battle of nuremberg" 2006 and final of 2010. Not mentioning 1990 with disgusting Frank Rijkaard. Maybe such behaviour is no coincidence? :P

C'mon Bart, you think Völler was innocent in that exchange?? Rijkaard was always a gentleman on the field up untill that match. And u think that German players never foul?

Seriously, the dutch team was clearly outplayed.

So were the German team in 1974 :P

C'mon Bart, you think Völler was innocent in that exchange?? Rijkaard was always a gentleman on the field up untill that match.
Are you kidding?

Rijkaard spit 2 times at him. The most disrespectful behaviour i can imagine.
Incase of Völler, i would have killed Rijkaard.
Even as Völler got red because of that he did nothing evil to Rijkaard. This is called self control.

And u think that German players never foul?

Dont be ridiculous. Ofc they do, but there are kind of players that are able to respect a lose and others who cant and start playing dirty.

So were the German team in 1974
true, when you look at the played football NL should have won back then. But that doesnt mean that NL deserved to win 2010.

Last edited:
What are we crying about!? let's just love violent and actionful games :P! Nevertheless we all play violent games and love it for that ;)

Hahaha!