Predictions/Chat: World Cup 2010

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Only enjoyed the match because it was the world cup final....any other match and I would have thought boring.

NL should have had all these players sent off:

De Jong (Karate Kick)
Van Bommel (3 Hard + Late Tackles)
Heitinga (Did get sent off)
Robben (2 x Yellow for stupid things, 1 chasing Ref, 1 Kicking ball away after offside)

Spain should have had Puyol off. (I really think, the ref should have yellow carded Puyol afterwards....like he would do normally once the advantage had been completed)

Impossible match for the ref with all the thug tackles from the Dutch. Game could have been over at half time. Fair play to the English ref for trying to give the match a chance,and not sending off players early.

The game was not great, I dont think a early Red card would have helped, (just full defence and more diving and trying to get another player off too even it up)

Webb is one of the best referees (in fifa's opinion tho) and he made a lot of mistakes. Imo it should be some kind of 5th ref watching replays from cameras, especially in offsides, corner kicks and penalties situations

Can't belive Iniesta was the one to score after he spent the whole match diving lol ;(

was a pants match , Holland just slowing the game down, fouling, and getting it stopped constantly stopping any flowing play form spain lol, and still should of won , tactics worked only for robben not to take chances they must be gutted :lol:

Last edited:
Poor Holland, undeserved loss imo simply by the fact that Iniesta shouldve been sent off. He deserved 1 red (tackle against van Bommel) + 3 more yellow cards (demanding the red card for heitinga, diving, pulling out the shirt), no idea how he came away with only 1 yellow. On the other side NL could be glad to finish the first half with 11 so I guess that makes it fair after all. Too bad, hoped Holland would make it :(

Webb just did a damn terrible job, and yes that goes both ways (De Jong... what the hell?)

It's just a disgrace for Dutch football. I would have preferred that they lost 3-0 with both sides showing beautiful football, but they decided to turn it into a kick-fest for a shot at a world cup that noone wanted them to have after being so dirty about it. Spain was far from clean though, and Webb not seeing that last corner was just icing on the cake; I'm fairly sure that a blind man on a plane 5km above the stadium would have seen that :P

I dont think Webb did such a bad job considering, both teams obviously set out to play hard/dirty from the start. What was Webb supposed to do with all the bad challenges being made, from the way most of you are speaking it looks like you wanted a 8v9 final which would have made the game worse tham it already was.
He's in a situation where he's supposed to control the players but at the same time encourage them to play a good match, removing lots of players wouldn't be beneficial although it would be to the letter of the law.
If this had been earlier in the competition I have no doubt that we would have seen more players walk, yeh Webb made some stupid mistakes like missing the corner kick but on the whole he tried to let the game flow with two teams that were intent on not playing that much football.

I expected it to turn out more or less like this, Webb is not a ref that controls matches really well so a yellowcard show was no surprise. After 10 mins both teams already fully agitated going for dives/asking for cards, typical. Don't get me wrong, most of the cards he handed out were justified, but losing control of the game in 10 mins is sort of poor.

Anyway, I think the final was pretty okay, both teams could have won and should have scored in the regular time. Spain pulling of a win is just as much deserved as NL pulling of a win as it was a pretty open match, without one of the teams really dominating (I found it very exciting). I am glad it didn't become penalties to be honest, we were DAMN close and it's a huge shame, but congrats to Spain for taking the cup home.

I dont think Webb did such a bad job considering, both teams obviously set out to play hard/dirty from the start. What was Webb supposed to do with all the bad challenges being made, from the way most of you are speaking it looks like you wanted a 8v9 final which would have made the game worse tham it already was.
He's in a situation where he's supposed to control the players but at the same time encourage them to play a good match, removing lots of players wouldn't be beneficial although it would be to the letter of the law.
If this had been earlier in the competition I have no doubt that we would have seen more players walk, yeh Webb made some stupid mistakes like missing the corner kick but on the whole he tried to let the game flow with two teams that were intent on not playing that much football.

If there's one thing Webb didn't do, its that. He slowed the game down like hell, calling foul every 5 seconds, never playing advantage, dramatizing decisions by calling players towards him. He made ridiculously bad decisions on both sides.
Anyway, I'm disgusted by the way Holland has played this tourny. In the qualifications and exhibition matches we actually played very good, attacking football. Then when things got serious our manager opted to throw all that away and play nasty, result-based football. He let Kuyt back into the first 11, sacrificing talented winger Elia, gave Sneijder the absolute blessing as our 'playmaker' at the expense of our real playmaker van der Vaart, and seemed to forbade de Jong and van Bommel from ever making forward runs.
I'm not half as disappointed as I have been in other years, simply because I couldn't identify at all with their gameplan.

Gratz Spain, despite diving just as bad as us, a victory for football.

If there's one thing Webb didn't do, its that. He slowed the game down like hell, calling foul every 5 seconds, never playing advantage, dramatizing decisions by calling players towards him. He made ridiculously bad decisions on both sides.
Anyway, I'm disgusted by the way Holland has played this tourny. In the qualifications and exhibition matches we actually played very good, attacking football. Then when things got serious our manager opted to throw all that away and play nasty, result-based football. He let Kuyt back into the first 11, sacrificing talented winger Elia, gave Sneijder the absolute blessing as our 'playmaker' at the expense of our real playmaker van der Vaart, and seemed to forbade de Jong and van Bommel from ever making forward runs.
I'm not half as disappointed as I have been in other years, simply because I couldn't identify at all with their gameplan.

Gratz Spain, despite diving just as bad as us, a victory for football.

Since they finally started playing to win i dont agree with you. Playing the way they used to obviously didnt cut it, so i'm happy some1 finally tried it in a different manner.

Since they finally started playing to win i dont agree with you. Playing the way they used to obviously didnt cut it, so i'm happy some1 finally tried it in a different manner.

Theres a difference, I'm a football fan, ur a result fan. Now we got the same outcome, we lost, except that the whole world pukes at our style of play as well now.

Tbh if Webb realy believed that de Jong didnt saw his "victim" when he did that kung fu kick its actualy only very risky play and a yellow card with a lot of good will. But de Jong hardly could have missed that spain guy cos he was comming from right in front of him...

It was on both sides tbh.. and the ref clearly gave the dutch more cards which was fair enough, but let's not forget that iniesta also should have been sent off for his pathetic reaction on van Bommel ;)
which he saw.. but just warned him :|

Last edited:
Webb obviously WAS and IS blind.

That foul from iniesta is clearly read, even more red than red!! oh my god...and the biggest mistake was to not give ANYTHING for this....as if none has seen this foul from the other additional REFs!??? loool sure..

Then again this corner kick...a wall full of SPAINISH defenders not even a dutch player there. The free kick goes and even a total blind could see that this freekick was blocked by the wall of spanish defenders..what else - - Goal Kick...lmfao.

Also having the pipe in his mouth 24/7 destroying the fluent game of both sides almost all of the time

I think overall he was OK (not good) but he made so terrible mistakes in the most important situations which finally made him the decider of this final imo.

Well Anni you can spin this in many ways.

Van der Vaart has always been talented but never really became a really good player and it is quite a miracle he is still playing for madrid. Also I see no reason to prefer him over sneijder, who obviously played a great season and was very decisive, where as van der vaart didn't add jack shit to any of the games he played. :P So much for playmaker. But anyway lets compare assists/goals and Sneijder is obvious winner handsdown.

Then you argue that we should let Kuyt out, for Elia, are you serious or wtfkidding the world here? Elia played one good season at twente and got a trasnfer to HSV, Kuyt has played well and has been important for NL and Liverpool for.... years. I would prefer Kuyt in basic 11 over Elia any day during the last cup, however Elia is a good player and subbing him in around 60-70 mins is wise.

Furthermore, our playstyle (result footy), ah well call it whatever you want. We start off with Robben, van Persie Sneijder Kuyt, have an offensive back with Van der Wiel and basicly near the same selection as when Van Basten was coach. The only thing you might want to call defensive is the Van Bommel/De Jong duo on midfield, rest is pretty normal, but one does not want to get overrun.

So imo you're pretty much joining the bandwagon here, we didn't play great footy during this tournament but neither did we come to win games with 1-0 and go to the final aka Italy/Greece etc. The whole world isn't disgusted by our playstyle, infact they think we have a lot of good players and 95% plays with similar styles, even Spain. Spain often had 10 man behind the ball, but their midfield is a bit more creative, that is all (I think NL scored more goals than Spain for instance, but correct me if I am wrong).

Oh and by the way, most people in sports want to win :P just so you know!

Last edited:
Far too many hilariously biased opinions in this thread so im not going to say too much as I will spend the next 2 days replying to flames :lol:

Did webb make some mistakes? - Yes, but all these crazy comments about him stopping the game, what was he supposed to do when you have crazy kung fu kicks flying in and Van Bommel jumping in every 2 mins? I think he tried to let the game flow when he could but it was impossible as the Dutch in the first half especially had no interest in playing football and just wanted to stop spain any way they could, which turned out to be by constantly fouling.

Did the dutch deserve every yellow/red card and basically ruin the game by persistant fouling? - Absolutely, amazing they had 11 ppl on the pitch at half time.

Did the Spanish make the most of any fouls commited? - Definitely but if the Dutch were not so intent on making stupid challenges it wouldnt have been as bad imo. Iniesta and Puyol could have earned red cards but after what the Dutch did, its hard too complain too much about that.

Robben was the only real threat from the Dutch and shame he didn't score, would have made it much more interesting I think!

Over all i thought it was a poor game, esp the first half but imo the best team won in the end. Penalties might have been fun though ;)

Well Anni you can spin this in many ways.

Van der Vaart has always been talented but never really became a really good player and it is quite a miracle he is still playing for madrid. Also I see no reason to prefer him over sneijder, who obviously played a great season and was very decisive, where as van der vaart didn't add jack shit to any of the games he played. :P So much for playmaker. But anyway lets compare assists/goals and Sneijder is obvious winner handsdown.

Sneijder has had a good season, no doubt. He has a few very lethal weapons. The Dutch media have bummed him plenty for it. Remember though that the only thing he has to do at Inter is play through balls to 2 world class strikers, he's not even allowed to defend there. Playing '10' for NL normally requires a lot more: intelligent movement and good vision for starters. Not his strong points to put it mildly. He's been very important this tournament, due to his (fluky) goals, but he hasnt played well for 90 mins in any of the games. Not to mention his beautiful shots from 40/50 meters, even when time was running out :rolleyes:
Stekelenburg, v Bronckhorst, Mathijsen, v Bommel, Kuyt and Robben all have played consistently better than Sneijder. But most people only look at the scoreboard, instead of the pitch.
As for ur 'comparison' between VdV and Sneijder: how many games was VdV allowed to play at his natural position? What did u expect of him as a left winger? And he's added a lot more than jack shit, every time he came in the team they performed better, the tempo got upped and van Persie got involved more.
Indeed, let's do compare their assists and goals. Van der Vaart wins easily. Oh, u meant just at the WC ...

Then you argue that we should let Kuyt out, for Elia, are you serious or wtfkidding the world here? Elia played one good season at twente and got a trasnfer to HSV, Kuyt has played well and has been important for NL and Liverpool for.... years. I would prefer Kuyt in basic 11 over Elia any day during the last cup, however Elia is a good player and subbing him in around 60-70 mins is wise.

Kuyt has good workrate, good teamwork and good spirit. Decent heading and finishing. But he's got countless limitations as well. Choosing Kuyt over Elia as a winger, when u already have 6 people behind the ball most of the time just shows the true colours of a gutless manager.

Furthermore, our playstyle (result footy), ah well call it whatever you want. We start off with Robben, van Persie Sneijder Kuyt, have an offensive back with Van der Wiel and basicly near the same selection as when Van Basten was coach. The only thing you might want to call defensive is the Van Bommel/De Jong duo on midfield, rest is pretty normal, but one does not want to get overrun.

It's not (just) about player selection, its how u use them. Disappointing, even for your standards.

So imo you're pretty much joining the bandwagon here, we didn't play great footy during this tournament but neither did we come to win games with 1-0 and go to the final aka Italy/Greece etc. The whole world isn't disgusted by our playstyle, infact they think we have a lot of good players and 95% plays with similar styles, even Spain. Spain often had 10 man behind the ball, but their midfield is a bit more creative, that is all (I think NL scored more goals than Spain for instance, but correct me if I am wrong).

I agree that there have been many teams who have played negative football, thats why this tournament has been utterly disappointing. Germany, Spain and Chile were probably the only teams who actually tried to play positive. Argentina perhaps, but without proper teamwork.
Again, don't just look at the scoreboard. Spain played one of their best matches of the tournament vs Switzerland, but they lost that one. And Greece? What the heck? They just don't have the material to do anything else.

Oh and by the way, most people in sports want to win :P just so you know!
Ohmygoshh, really? I don't know why, but some people in NL seem to think that by playing crap football ur odds of winning the tournament are higher than when playing well.

@Gazz:
A lot of 'biased' opinions from people outside of Holland too, remarkable :\
Webb had a lot to do, with unsporting play from both sides right from the off. It wasn't just the Spanish making the most of the Dutch foul play, which is what u are making it look like. And u are waving away 2 possible red cards far too easily, in that case it was ok for Zidane to headbutt Materazzi too, who could blame him after being provoked, right?
Anyway, I'm not blaming the ref at all for this, Spain are the deserved winners. But Webb had an undeniable poor game in which he didn't, at any point, try to 'let the game flow when he could', now that is a 'crazy' comment.

@Gazz:
A lot of 'biased' opinions from people outside of Holland too, remarkable :\
Webb had a lot to do, with unsporting play from both sides right from the off. It wasn't just the Spanish making the most of the Dutch foul play, which is what u are making it look like. And u are waving away 2 possible red cards far too easily, in that case it was ok for Zidane to headbutt Materazzi too, who could blame him after being provoked, right?
Anyway, I'm not blaming the ref at all for this, Spain are the deserved winners. But Webb had an undeniable poor game in which he didn't, at any point, try to 'let the game flow when he could', now that is a 'crazy' comment.

You are biased though, its understandable but because of that is hard to take your comments seriously. I had no preconceptions or agenda regarding either team before the game, so I believe my comments to be objective from what I sat through for 120 minutes, obviously you disagree, fair enough.

The bottom line, for me, is that NL were the main protagonists in ruining that game and im dissapointed like many others, as I was hoping for something a little more entertaining.

One of my possible red cards (Puyol) would have been for 2 yellows, yes it still makes a red but nothing like the disgraceful tackles that preceded it from the Dutch team. I think if Robben had gone down at that point he would have had a free kick and Puyol off but it didnt happen like that unfortunately. Iniesta didnt really do that much to Van Bommel but what he did do was wrong and I can see why he could be have been sent off. The referee made some mistakes like i already said but his job was made extremely difficult by both teams. Its completely, utterly baffling, to the point where I am wondering if your sane, to suggest Webb was responsible for not letting the game flow. Unless he waved away/ignored every bad challenge (of which there were so many) then it was made impossible for him to do that but I believe he tried his best none the less.

I can understand you feel agrieved at some of the decisions, however you cannot deny NL were amazingly fortunate to have 11 or even 10 players left at half time. Spain did some play acting and some fowls of their own (im not saying they are Saints either) but nothing, nothing at all like the silly challengs Van Bommel, Sneijder and De Jong made in the first half, the last of which was practically an assault. The first 10 mins Spain had NL under complete control after which the NL team decided to start playing dirty which imo resulted in some of the same from the Spanish.

Regardless, you have clearly made your mind up and can believe what you wish!

Last edited:
what's all this discussion aftermath all about?
Spain was superior and NL had never the playing capabilities to compete with them. Their only chance was to play rough. so they did. Spain had some lame diving thing going on from time to time, but so did Robben.
at the end the better team won.
The referee was pretty cheap and made some mistakes against both teams. He'll never lead a world cup anymore.

say what you want: but paul predicted it so it had to come ;)