Whats wrong with the league PLEASE READ 1ST MESSAGE

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

What is wrong with the current league format?

• Total voters
You cant be serious Torp.

Why should these 40 peeps even bother joining the league when they can play regularly PUG wars with equal teams? They play when they want to play, so you seriously believe they wanna join a boring league where they have to play sheduled matches (even when they dont want to play UT at this time) and prolly worse: with uneven teams?

PUG prolly killed the old fashioned league, because UTA was not the only availabel source to play UT wars.
Read somewhere here that someone said: transform it to a PUG league. No idea how such a league would look like, but that might attract those guys

Last edited:
If you have nothing to contribue Bart, then don't post at all. You're really helping noone, at least Torp is trying to keep a discussion going as to what can be done instead of just doom&gloom 4 years after he actually played his last war.

some of the reasons why i left the league :
1) ping disadvantage
2) attitude of some players
3) Opponents not showing for matches = forfeit aka waste of my time
4) busy with RL

Maybe reducing the maps would help but to me it's was always about having fun, that's the reason i pug from time to time and the only reason i join ROFL.

I like this game, and still think that this is the best game ever

Last edited:
The main problem I think is the amount of players we have in the league.
The main reason why ppl leave the league: they bother to show up for games and end up not playing them because the other team doesn't have enough ppl. If ppl that already have alot less of free time than they used to (pretty much everyone here :P) make time for nothing, you get disinterest. If then you look at the few wars that actually DO go through, the last few years there usually was a huge difference between skill levels of the two clans facing off.

So basically you make time for 4 wars per month, you end up getting 2 forfeits, one walkover 8-0 and the next you get walked over 8-0.

To have an interesting league, you need to have different skill levels(as in, different divisions), and motivated ppl.

So I guess that would mean that we pretty much would need everyone that is still somewhat active to join a clan, and make time for wars (and we need to be sure that they will go through, and provide an opponent of a similar skill level).
The only way I see a LEAGUE works is different divisions, which would mean you need at least a certain amount of clans.

I think a good start would be to lower the amount of maps, and for the idea to work I think you would need to also lower the team sizes. But then again, 6v6 is what makes a good assault...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm

Actually, I think if you want to keep THIS league alive, you simply need more ppl. Even if you count every active player and everyone that "might" play if the league gets interesting enough, you don't have the correct amount of ppl to make a decent league with different divisions and the correct skill levels.
So yeah, we all know that's not going to happen. Ppl aren't exactly going to fall out of the sky, and we can't count on new ppl so we basically have to make do with who we have.

So if you want to keep it alive and if you want to keep it a league, drastically cut pretty much everything.

For starters, cut the squad sizes. I know assault is based on 6v6 but I think EVEN 4v4 will be too much ppl to get the league going again. Yeah, that would mean squad sizes of 3v3. There's still pug if you want to go more :P

Apart from the fact that I think we can only make enough squads by drastically cutting the number of ppl in them and thus making more clans, another reason to have fewer ppl in a clan is the following: I think booking should be made on the spot.

Booking 4 dates in the month at the start of the month is hard for everyone, especially because these days there's a very good chance that you're staying home or we for nothing.
So if you only need 3 players to play a war, there's a good chance that you and the other clan have 3 ppl online who don't have anything to do at some point, and you can play it whenever it fits you.

So yeah, I'm really just suggesting what we already have as a 2v2 league, only maybe make it 3v3 haha. Well in all honesty that's the only way I can see the league grow bigger again, IF ppl can be motivated for such a format.

It is almost as simple as this:

There are 40+ players playing regular pugs, get them back, league will be healthy.

A lot are talking about getting "new" or "inactive/retired" players back. Well if they do then excellent, but that is not what this is about. There HAS to be a logical reason(s) as to why there are 50% more clanless people pugging than there are with clans. Hence the poll. Since I started this trying to get players into clans and push league survival, 3 new clans have come. Still many many more clanless and easily 2-3 clans can be made purely by the clanless playing REGULAR pugs, nevermind the 1s that play a few times a week/month even the ones that come back for 1 per game, it makes a difference.

Edit:

Here is a list of the top of my head, took me 30 secs to think of them all. Dont get offended at being named, if its ur choice not to play then fine, just making the point of the numbers of clanless:

wish
twnz
dj
riv
xb
free
insp
weez
ert
fable
loco
thera
pitbull
supermic
tut
mym
freakeh
hydro
zkyp
xy
pxq

Most of which are regular puggers in the evenings. Granted some play maybe once per week or even a couple times per month, but is still enough.

then you have the inactives that show some interest on this thread and play publics a lot:

toaster
nuts
dirz
opium
hardcore
prometheus

People can keep repeating that there arent enough players all they like, but that just confirms in about 1 minute I just named 25+ people. Almost 3 clans. So there ARE enough players.

Last edited:
I think a key point here is due to everybody here knowing skill levels of other players , a clan will look at another clan and simply not show because they know it's 8-0 before they even start.

so in this respect shortening matches will be less painful for all involved and might even encourage people to at least try and win, i myself personally like a challenge but i dont want to sit and get owned , or own another clan 8-0 for an hour and a half. at least when pug teams are massivly uneven the game is finshed reasonably quickly so the lesser skilled team at least trys to win, and sometimes does! lol

so IMO making it 4v4 or 5v5, capping squads and using toasters ideas on scheduling would work , i would play again myself if it was like that.

making it 3v3 would cause allot more players to leave i think , i think clans can get 4 or 5

Last edited:
You cant be serious Torp.

Why should these 40 peeps even bother joining the league when they can play regularly PUG wars with equal teams?

also on your point , that's why my idea a few posts up was based on incorperating the league in a pug style setup lol. People like playing pug , so if there was a ladder/clan setup within pug i think allot of people would be more interested as you are right pug has taken over the league.

.....mym

Me, seriously?

I'd be surprised if I've got up to double figures yet with pugs this year and even then I am more likely to play friday daytime as someone like Spoq asks me to and its my day off, not your typical match time.
If you are using me as part of the slightly actives that should come back then I think that is where your problem is, you are assuming the wrong people are going to play.

I havent played a match for 2 years but I would be certain that I've played more stdAs matches than most active players in the league, gets to a stage where you just dont want to play matches anymore, I was clan leader of a pretty good team, never played in another clan ever, why would I want to, could any team offer me what I had before or anything similar, I highly doubt it?
Sorry but to me the league is not part of the issue as to why I dont play.

dunno why you refuse to address the poor attitudes of our community.

look at zkyp, get him here to play, hes great and competitive but now hes left again because a certain minority flame and whine like no other..

imagine if your not as good and just starting here.. why would you stay

actually zkyp's attitude is the reason he left the league..

can clearly remember the first few days he was here stating that he "owned everyone" and in a week would be "the best in the scene"...then when a certain few signed to prove him wrong he didn't like it and never returned...:<

but I agree with XR, I think that the underdogs have a much better chance of winning a game which is best of 7. Each map becomes more important and luck plays more of a factor, in a best of 14 war the better team can afford to slip up for a couple of maps and still win the game

sure u can rate me as an active clanless pugger but at the state of which the league is in u cannot blame me for not playing
i will address a few issues which i think are the biggest reason of the league dying
1-competition, make the clans balanced to offer everybody a fair chance to compete
2-booking and scheduling system, i will be a bit more specific here, i will not organize a day in the future around ut and then have some people from my clan or the opposing clan not show up -do not get me wrong here i would play for 1-2 or 3 hours with no problem if the teams are balanced and all people of the respective clans show up for a 6v6. however with the current state of booking system u simply cannot ask all people if and when they can play let alone be 100% sure they will turn up
3-keep it to 6v6 anything else i wont play due to assault design and balance issues
4-map amount would not be a problem for me if 1-2 and 3 are addressed
5-this community is too small and having to face same people over and over again can be a buzz kill specially when there are a few individuals who u would not want to play with (this is putting it mildly and not resorting to hate or flame wars which occur on a regular basis)

what i said above combined with other issues that have been addressed by others in this thread will ultimately lead to the end of the league (IMO), slowly but surely (i simply cannot see any scenario in which the league can be revived)
i can only hope mym will keep pug server up for people like me who enjoy playing there

with my suggestions above i will also add this:
organize more cups, survivor nights, or any other mods compatible with assault ensuring team balance and competition and we will definitely get enough players who will show interest for those kinds of events

Pogo I have told you several times already...

You are telling me attitudes are the proeblem, people left the league because of them. But they go and pug WITH them on a daily basis. Dont talk shit... If you got nothing serious to add to the conversation then dont bother.

This is NOT about new players or old. This purely about WHY are there so many active puggers not playing in the league. Nothing more. Please get this into your minds :)

@pitbull. All but #1 are valid I suppose. Number 1, lack of competition is a result not a reason. You dont just start losing competition, it starts when people/clans leave. Address that issue and the competition returns.

About zkyp. The guy came a few months ago as wish sed and started chatting shit 24/7. He came back recently, seemed more chilled out and played well but he almost fucked a pug or 2 by not following tactics. Not just a misunderstanding, down right refusing to go in a spot instead preferred to play a place he knows he can be #1 fragger. AS an assaulter you should be aware of the importance of teamplay and zkyp often shows none. Deserved all the flames he got from insp IMO.

@pitbull. All but #1 are valid I suppose. Number 1, lack of competition is a result not a reason. You dont just start losing competition, it starts when people/clans leave. Address that issue and the competition returns.

no that is not true competition comes from balance as i said. u need to balance clans else it will be as before play 1 month and own all in ur division move up then next month get run over and then repeat. mi5 comes to mind as an example u cant have clans like them if u want competition so my idea is spread all players around good and bad but then it goes back to the showing up part no use if clans are balanced and some people do not turn up for a war.

seems like a botomless pit every issue leads to another and yet another thing i did not address, having to depend on people to play sux if i wanna play 6v6 assault at say 2-3 pm in the afternoon i can't cause there aren't enough people online that being caused by so few people still playing. any other game i play i can find people at any given time

Pogo I have told you several times already...

You are telling me attitudes are the proeblem, people left the league because of them. But they go and pug WITH them on a daily basis. Dont talk shit... If you got nothing serious to add to the conversation then dont bother.

how's that shit when i and others can only confirm it? ;)
the reason the league is dieing can also be refered (not only) to them rotten few..

further more.. you seem to reject things many people said.. foolish..
now im not gonna give this thread more input because i dont play anymore. But you shouldn't reject what people say, by simply saying it's bullshit.. I don't play pug anymore.. so basicly.. it's not bullshit :)

Whats wrong with the league is that there are to many fagheads like you torp who try to be like omg whats wrong with the league making it seem like ur wanted in this league trying to save the league... your a dick you shouldnt try but just leave and then every1 will come back iam sure of it

Flame pug yes, league no, ive barely played since 2007. Nice attitude you got urself loco :rolleyes:

Breen: rejecting stuff, cos its not what this is about. If you cba to read the entire thread why r u posting? I dont care for retired to come back or why people QUIT. Only why the ACTIVE PUGGERS choose not to play league. You dont understand that heidiklum isnt trying to help here, hes just being an idiot as usual...

Anyone else want to ignore half the thread and make pointless replies?

Admin, maybe a little help with idiots like loco plz :)