Whats wrong with the league PLEASE READ 1ST MESSAGE

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

What is wrong with the current league format?

• Total voters

Torp

Hai
Dec 23, 2004
Milan, Italy
Alright lads and lasses. As you may well be aware, this is a poll. Not a normal poll that gets ignored oh no. This will give us some much needed information on how to mend the league, if it is indeed mendable.

Please refer to this post if you do not understand how to do your votes.

Question 1: Applies to the number of maps. Possibility of changing to 7, 9, 11 or keep at 14. Maybe other suggestions.

Question 2: Applies to The size of each team. 6v6, 5v5, 4v4 whatever. feedback welcome.

Question 3: Applies to Squad size. Maximum number allowed per clan?

Question 4: Applies to The booking system, what would you do to improve it.

Question 5: Maps: The current maplist, any sugestions? Map pool, anything you can think of.

Please refrain from negative comments like "league is dead". OK Bart? ;) :P

Please ask if you don't know which to vote for because you don't understand the question.

The more feedback the better, without it, this league will be gone by september. A lot think pug etc will stay but I dont and most of you will regret it when/if its gone :|!

Thanks.

Last edited:
whats wrong are the terrible attitudes of certain players
and
little hope of a 8-6 thriller in any division

I would comment on my choices (the first 3 I think are the overal main reasons for the league's decay), but then again I think it pretty much speaks for itself. IF there is a possibility of making something out of it with what there's left, id say lower the map count, make it 4v4...

I believe the current map amount is too high, I really don't want to tie myself down to 3 hours matches that end 7-7 or 8-6 and I don't want to face a squad that'll pummel me sideways for over an hour to get an easy 7-1 or a 8-0. I'd reduce it somewhat to perhaps a more PUG-like enviroment with between 7-10 maps.

on question 2 and 3 I believe we are too few active (I saw we 'cos I have every intent on playing again but haven't gotten it to work properly!) players too be able to field a full 6 man team with backups/subs for 2-3 hours/2-4 times a week, I just don't see it happening anymore. Sure, there's the occasional thriller but more often than not there's the forfeit today which is kinda sad. I'd reduce it to perhaps 4v4 or 5v5 with fewer players allowed in each clan, if possible (which it probably isn't but still, I'd support the idea)

I personally don't have a problem with the booking system, sure it could be made easier I suppose but it's not like it's what is keeping players away from matches is it. It's worked pretty well over the past decade and if you still haven't learned the system then perhaps you should ask someone rather than complain about it! Also, like MyMster said in the previous thread, Weirdo is alone in coding and he might not have time, should it not be better to not put him in that position to begin with? :)

Map pool to me is ok, I could see myself playing Snowdunes on a regular basis but noone else seems to like it in my clan so we'd probably never pick it anyway (stupid cunts they don't know what's good for them!)

I hope this answers my choices in the poll! max out dawgz YO!

Most people will not come into contact with the booking system however its there for the following reasons.

Ive had a lot of match arrangers complain in the past that they cant schedule matches easily because they cannot contact the opposition, or the opposition wont confirm shedules/servers that have been agreed etc etc Meaning that matches dont get arranged and played or the days picked are not ideal.

Booking system would also encompass things such as changing the 3 day minimum booking period for match servers, could allow an option fo people being able to book servers and arrange matches on an ad hoc basis.

Maybe for booking. Each clan rep or arranger at the start of each month goes to the forums and posts 10 possible dates that they can play. Avoid 1 to 1 arranging and mix and match the dates.

Or each clan has 3 official dates per month they can play and if they match, they get auto arranged.

Again, hard work for Timo though :<

TuT, XB - "Others... please specify" - What exactly do you mean by other. Hardly helps just voting it or whats the point of the option if you dont say what it is....

Map amount also might sounds weird but time between each map starts, it's around 30 secs or ?
For pugs you use the time to talk tactics, for wars i suppose everyone should know where they are.

TuT, XB - "Others... please specify" - What exactly do you mean by other. Hardly helps just voting it or whats the point of the option if you dont say what it is....

Didnt have time to answer at the time but here we go.

Main problem is what Pogo said. Some ppl´s attitude over the last years.

Other than that i dont really think there is a problem that can be solved. As time goes on UTA has lost more and more ppl over the years. No wonder... ppl get older and get jobs, girl/boy-friends, buy a house, get kids and dont have as much free time anymore. It´s nearly impossible to get new ppl playing because of the main problem i mentioned and also because the new ppl are way to far behind in skill level so they lose interest.

Reducing the player ammount in matches to 4v4 would prolly make the league last a bit longer. Also maybe reducing ammount of maps could help but in long terms it´s not a solution.

As a sidenote:
I´m not trying to be a pessimist. You asked for my opinnion and i think the end of the league is inevitable. It´s simply just a matter of time whether you believe it or not.

Map amount also might sounds weird but time between each map starts, it's around 30 secs or ?
For pugs you use the time to talk tactics, for wars i suppose everyone should know where they are.

back in the day as i played...or just me, used this time to flame and insult the other team. So it could be good if you use it wisely!

It's 60 seconds.
You are the second person to mention this today, although I had a comment how the match start time 5 minutes was too long and I dont really understand why this is an issue.

The period is there to allow people to talk tactics if needed or sort out any small problems. Its a maximum time, if all the players click then the map/match starts immediately anyway.

It's 60 seconds.
You are the second person to mention this today, although I had a comment how the match start time 5 minutes was too long and I dont really understand why this is an issue.

The period is there to allow people to talk tactics if needed or sort out any small problems. Its a maximum time, if all the players click then the map/match starts immediately anyway.
Sure but in todays league there's rarely two full teams, eg 6v6 or 4v4 which means that even though all 10 or 11 click we still have to wait out the full duration because clans don't have full squads AND tactics today are usually just "ill go there, you there and there" over ts/vent like in pug. Or do clans still use tactic documents and stuff with designated positions and orders? :sofa:

the first to 8 rule is what kills it for me and others. Even if you're raping the other team and 12 people on the server are getting no enjoyment at all, it still takes about 1hr30 to play through.

yeah i agree with od, it's just shit for all involved :-/, although i did SOMETIMES, used to like epic 7-7 3 hour matches, so i think a choice is the best really

@Tut

Problem with some peoples attitude has been present in the league since day 1, I dont see how it has become a problem in recent years.

Secondly, I can predict the names you think cause the problems. A high percentage of those players no longer play in the league so how are they destroying it?

Thirdly, yes the issue about people growing up and moving on with their lives has been discussed and mentioned on several occasions, however this particular experiment has nothing to do with it. It is the simple fact that currently there are more clanless people playing regular pugs than there are players currently WITH clans. This is the issue that needs to be sorted. Currently there are over 60 clanless people that have pugged more than once in May alone. That list doesnt include you and supermic and others similar to the levels of activity you have.

Get them back and we have 20 clans again. Healthy competition, but there must be something putting them off with the current format. People might say its lack of competition. That ISNT a reason, that is a result of another reason.

Either way, thanks for explaining your 'other' vote and who knows, maybe attitudes are a problem in the league as well. This I do not know as I have played a collective 2 wars since 2007/08. And for me that is solely because I can no longer dedicate 3 hours in an evening to a match, even though it might only last half that, I still have to plan for 3 which takes me past midnight and I am up at 7am :x

Last edited:
Current Map Amount:
7-9 maps per match, 6-8 matches per month. Would increase my activity by about 30%.

Team Sizes of 6v6:
Reducing to 5v5 (max, 4v4 depends too much on dm skills of players) would seem like a logical idea. Would increase number of matches played by lets say 20-30%?

@Tut

Problem with some peoples attitude has been present in the league since day 1, I dont see how it has become a problem in recent years.

True, but false!
Perhaps I'm not the right person to speak (since I'm hardly involved with the league anymore (just forums)), but attitude has certainly changed.. The older players have grown up alot more and just want to have a nice competitive game nowadays.. While the so called youngsters don't seem to accept the lesser players..

with a decreasing league (due to some things already said), the people that are left, are more and more bound to each other. In the early days you could avoid conflicts by going to another server (there were enough), go to another clan, Drop 6 divisions to start from the bottom again etc etc.. But nowadays you are really going to meet the same players over and over again. The same players you have your problems with. And since those players can't be bothered to change their attitudes, you will lose your interest eventually.

Of course smaller clansizes, teamsizes, maps per match is going to help but it's only temporarily.

Well for me personally it's not that I wouldn't have time to play a few matches a month (ok not probably all 4) but the fact that most people with decent attitudes are gone for various other reasons and it'd probably be impossible to get them back. Sure there's always been nasty players but in the end, back when I was active they were a minority... Nowadays it's different.

Nothing wrong with the game or the way this league is run. I played a few duels with hoi sometime ago and still got the same thrills.

These so called nasty individuals you claim exist breen/sausage are non-existent in the current league though. So how are they killing the league?