soccer / football thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

:lol:

I forgot Bayern played the most expansive and delighful football!!! (insert inet sarcasm) Really guys you just come across as being bitter with those comments about Inter :P

Milito scored 2 excellent goals, Bayern needed a clinical finisher like him as well as some better defenders. I watched Ribery in most of the CL matches and he was dissapointing, doubt he would have made a difference. Only Robben looked like he could do something last night.

i really wonder why everyone is trying to score vs 11 "italian" (was there an italian player on the field?) defenders, its useless and will almost certainly be answered by a counterattack. just like it happened last night. tbh one cant blame bayern's defenders too much, playing offensively will always be punished by italian teams.

Clouded views by Bayern fans on here to be honest.

The game wasn't even that bad. Indeed it wasn;t a spectacle but no fucking way was it all out defence by Inter. They had chances as well and if it wasn't for 2 great saves by Butt, it could easily have been 4-0!

There is this misconception in football today that teams are only classed as good if they can either score or pass sideways. Defending is an art and Inter are fantastic at doing so and breaking on the counter. Not too dissimilar to Chelsea under mourinho and at times even Man Utd. They are a break team not a building team.

Bayern passed the ball across the back 4 all night and got 65% possession doing so. IF that is what you want from a team then fucking LOL at you.

RUMOURS!!! 23RD MAY!

Micah Richards - Manchester City to Liverpool - £12m
Rafael van der Vaart - Real Madrid to Manchester Utd - £20m
Steven Gerrard - Liverpool to Real Madrid - £40m
Maicon - Inter Milan to Real Madrid - ??
Edin Dzeko - Wolfsburg to Liverpool - ??
Mikel Arteta - Everton to Manchester City - £20m
Nikola Zigic - Valencia to Stoke/Aston Villa - £5m
Miguel - Valencia to Aston Villa - £5m
Tom Cleverley - Manchester Utd to Newcastle - Loan
Bernard Mendy - Hull to Newcastle - Free
Jose Culebras - Tenerife to Wigan - Free

Gareth Southgate - None to Portsmouth - Manager
Rafa Benitez - Liverpool to UAE National Manager - LOL

Last edited:
I think the game could gone either way tbh. Inter was great at neutralising Bayerns offense, but their own offense was pretty weak aswell. I think the biggest difference was Butt < Cesar, the 2 goals from milito could've been saved imo, atleast butt looked pretty weak at both. It was a shame Muler didn't score right after the break that would've made things exciting, but yes the win for inter was still deserved. As torp said, it's not spectaculair but who gives a flying fuck? The goal here is to win, and inter hardly got in trouble yesterday so well played.

read a good article on goal.com that Bayern played like Barca in the first semi leg and actually did also the same mistakes.

Here are the statistics:
Statistic Barca Inter (1st semi)
Possession 67% 33%
Passes Attempted 636 271
Passes Completed 521 158
Pass Completion % 82% 58%
Best Individual Passer Xavi Hernandez (93/108) Javier Zanetti (21/29)

Statistic Bayern Inter (final)
Possession 66% 34%
Passes Attempted 643 289
Passes Completed 536 176
Pass Completion % 83% 61%
Best Individual Passer Bastian
Schweinsteiger (104/114) Wesley Sneijder (25/38)

Bayerns main problem is, that their defence is way too weak (how could they seriously sell Lucio???)
Hopefully they will fix this this summer.

Dont agree with you Gazz. Ofc Ribery would have made a difference. without him everything came from the left side (Lahm, Robben) and nearly nothing from the right side (Badstuber, Altintop).
So Robben had the same problem Messi had. Inter just concentrated on him. With another excellent player - like Ribery - the team could have created more surprises due the other strong side.

Anyway, no bad feeling here. Inter win is justified. When you eliminate Chelsea and Barca your win has to be deserved.
Althouh i hate the way italian teams play (even when inter is as italian as Bayern Munich ;)

@mym: with the new rules clubs aint allowed to make debts. And when clubs still make debts, they will be kicked out of european competitions. I guess and hope this will have huge effects and will produce healthier clubs across europe.

Last edited:
Bart, I dont think you fully understand the rules they have come up with unless all the articles I've read on it are wrong or Ive misunderstood. Seems a very german/french slanted view where teams arent allowed debts and this would obviously work in their favour against manu, barca, rm etc, uefa havent stopped that.
Rules state they arent allowed to spend more than they earn in football revenue based over a 3 year avg period.

They have purely stopped the ability to spend more than you earn by football, this stops the man city type being financed by a backer or teams getting into a situation where they need a bail out a la RM I believe.
If you earn 50M in football revenue and spend 100M then you are screwed, however if you earn 100M and spend 50M that leaves you 50M to spend which can be used outright or used for interest payments on a loan to buy someone of higher value, that would obviously involve higher wages which they would also need to cover.

Uefa had no option but to put in half arsed rules like this, were they going to kick out 50% of the top teams in europe because of their debts, they certainly werent going to clear 100M+ debts over a year so they would have had no option, these rules just stop teams getting into worse situation than they already are.

On the plus side they are being much more strict about penalties for teams that are suffering financially.

inter > bayern

simple.

about all the cry because of the defensive football etc ... well i trully dont see your poitn Inter is prolly the best team defending and thats a fact. they were able to defend all the bayern weapons, and then simply they had El principe up front to make the difference and score 2 amazing golas by prolly the striker in better shape atm in the world.

I know its had to lose a final, but the fact remains bayern didnt had a chance, you can shot more have more posession, but still, inter makes 2 shots 2 goals and kills every single players from bayerns side.

GG both teams and Mourinho shows again why he is that good for hte stat lovers: INTER: 35 years without a EU. Final and 45 years withotu winning nothing EU level Mourinho comes and conquer simple has

Dont agree with you Gazz. Ofc Ribery would have made a difference. without him everything came from the left side (Lahm, Robben) and nearly nothing from the right side (Badstuber, Altintop).
So Robben had the same problem Messi had. Inter just concentrated on him. With another excellent player - like Ribery - the team could have created more surprises due the other strong side.

Yeah I understand what you mean, but from what I have seen of Ribery (champs league only, this season only) imo it would have made little diff, as when I have seen him, he hasnt played well at all really. Im not saying hes crap, just dissapointed me as I heard loads of great things about him, watching him for 3/4 games and all i saw him do was score 1 lucky free kick and almost break someones ankle. For me atm he is seriously over rated.

If he has a good world cup, i might change my mind, lets see :D

you are not the only one who says that. this comes mainly from guys who didnt follow the german league the past years.
in the first year at bayern he owned. he played like robben did this year. he also played well last year, His problem was, that bayern didnt come far in european cups, so you might not notice him.

this year he had many problems (foot injury, teeth probs, knee stuff, hooker affair, new strange coach, etc), so bayern actually had luck, because so he signed a contract extension.

if he would have played like in previous years he would have been signed by barca or real madrid by now

Last edited:
Clouded views by Bayern fans on here to be honest.

The game wasn't even that bad. Indeed it wasn;t a spectacle but no fucking way was it all out defence by Inter. They had chances as well and if it wasn't for 2 great saves by Butt, it could easily have been 4-0!

There is this misconception in football today that teams are only classed as good if they can either score or pass sideways. Defending is an art and Inter are fantastic at doing so and breaking on the counter. Not too dissimilar to Chelsea under mourinho and at times even Man Utd. They are a break team not a building team.

Bayern passed the ball across the back 4 all night and got 65% possession doing so. IF that is what you want from a team then fucking LOL at you.

just think a tad further... having 2 teams like inter playing against each other - what would be the result? a very boring game with a probability of 90% for a shootout. thats exactly why i wanna watch football. well maybe to u thatd be exciting, anyway enjoy ur defence^^

I forgot who said it, but someone on the TV said this yesterday "Defence is a skill, but its a lot easier to defend than to attack."

I agree.

Firestorm, only 1 team was boring on sat, that was Bayern. Unless you think passing the ball across the back 4 whilst they progress forward on another fruitless attack was enjoyable.

100% delusional if you think Inter were ONLY defending though :rolleyes:

they should just change the rules so that teams score as many goals as in icehockey or other sports. E.g. make the goals bigger, play with less players, make the field bigger or whatever. Would make the whole game a lot more interesting than watching 0-0, 1-0 results over 90min all the time :yawn:

but i guess thats the exclusive opinion from someone who starts disliking football more and more

Firestorm, only 1 team was boring on sat, that was Bayern. Unless you think passing the ball across the back 4 whilst they progress forward on another fruitless attack was enjoyable.

100% delusional if you think Inter were ONLY defending though :rolleyes:

lol funny the way you are kind of ignorant refusing the good style bayern played..how does it come? Do you hate bayern...? Seems so obvious lol and then saying they played "boring"...excuse me pls...SORRY I didnt notice Bayern being on defence 90 minutes not having the ball...uuups..it was Inter Mailand *ohh*

Bayern played as attractive as a team can play against a team of 90 minutes of defending...

Inter 90 minutes defence, 2 conter attacks and 2 goals..wow thats attractive !:hangover:

Again bullshit Yako. Had Butt not saved the 2 efforts excellently it could have been more.

I have nothing against bayern and they have played some nice football this season, but saturday they were boring. Lacking ideas. Played the ball across defence and Van Bommel saw more of the ball than anyone else on the pitch. Speaks volumes when your defensive midfielder is always on the ball....

Sour grapes Yako :bawling:

Lahm, to demichelis, to van buyten to badstuber to van bommel to schweinsteiger, back to lahm, to van buyten, to robben, 1 long run to the box or cut in and shot

RINSE

REPEAT

:drool:

Last edited: