R.I.P. Nodar Kumaritashvili

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

:rip: But seriously, maybe this is a wakeup call for the builds of the tracks? How the :sofa: can you erect a bunch of pillars just after a corner like that, of course accidents will happen!

aye someone didn't do their job somewhere....

they are saying the path? is the fastest ever built and is too dangerous, yet obviously it was approoved by the olympic committee.....

anyway very sad start to these games :(

for those that didn't see the images.... it's been removed from youtube but you can see it here
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/videos/?mediaid=644751#go

warning: not for the lighthearted.

RIP

What a sad loss. I can't help but feel that if they just padded them pillars out like they do on rugby posts this would have saved his life. Let's face it, there are several methods that could have been applied to improve the safety of that track and it seems like they ignored all. Idiots.

I very much doubt that would've helped considering he was going at that speed. But yeah, placing those pillars there is crazy. How people can approve of such a design, especially at (arguably) the most dangerous part of the track is beyond me. Now they have adjusted the track, at the expense of a human life.

R.I.P

But yeah, placing those pillars there is crazy. How people can approve of such a design, especially at (arguably) the most dangerous part of the track is beyond me.

Apperently it is pretty common to have pillars in/around these kind of lugetracks. A lot of people are saying the same but let's face it, who in here is an expert on tracks and building them, that's right... no one.

They been training on this track for many weeks, the canadians even for months and besides some minor complaints about the speed being very high and 1 woman crashing and ending up in the hospital there was no obvious indication that this would happen.

I think it is a bit too easy to just blame the people who built the track, or the olympic committee. Considering they go down with speeds up to 140-150km/h with just a helmet for protection it is pretty obvious nasty accidents can (and ofcourse will) happen from time to time.

Naturally when they do people will look into it and try to improve the track/protection whatsoever, that's just how it goes and seems pretty normal to me.

Besides that it is still very tragic, RIP to the guy. :/

Surely you agree that placing those pillars there doesn't seem to make much sense from a safety pov?
Safety is anticipating. Some things are just out of our control, but I can't help but think that they could've done a better job.

They are sliding down an ice track at upto 100mph (for this track) on what amounts to a tea tray with just a helmet, its a dangerous sport regardless of what they do the tracks.

I assume the pillars are there for structural reasons as well as providing cover for the track from snow, if they were on the inside then they would not support the banking and interfere with camera coverage, dont think any amount of padding would protect atheletes from a big impact. Only option is to design the tracks slower but from a spectator point of view they will probably say that will detract from the sports interest.

Shame it usually takes something like this for them to review safety aspects in any dangerous sport

RIP

too soon sneez, too soon.

Surely they could just put up a wall or so there so they jutst slide up against it and then don the tunnel? Doesnt seem that hard to do.

Maxiz, they could only do that if:

-They could have foreseen a rider leaving the track in such a way.
-It was structurally sound and wasn't actually more dangerous considering the type of corner.
-The cameras can still view the runs. Whats the point in televising the Olympics if you can't see the action? Selfish for the sake of 1's life, but he chose to partake in 1 of the most dangerous sports that was always made for TV and spectators.

@The rest saying why put pillars there? Err hasn't it crossed your mind at all that it is maybe part of the structure? I bet the families of people from the Titanic are asking "Who the fuck put all that water there ffs" or "Who the fuck invented icebergs this far north". :rolleyes: At the end of the day, they could have merely improved the risk by padding those pillars, maybe the person would still have died, but at least it would have been better than bare metal posts. People thrive on the exciting danger of the sport and when it's breached at the expense of life, the dangers should have never been. It smacks of contradiction.

Last edited:
Clearly the cameras are on the other side of the track so all a "wall" of some sort would do is cover up the pillars and maybe the view for a select few people on the scene?

@The rest saying why put pillars there? Err hasn't it crossed your mind at all that it is maybe part of the structure?
At the end of the day, they could have merely improved the risk by padding those pillars, maybe the person would still have died, but at least it would have been better than bare metal posts. People thrive on the exciting danger of the sport and when it's breached at the expense of life, the dangers should have never been. It smacks of contradiction.

Of course it'd be part of the structure, one can assume they didn't put 'm there for jokes. Not being an expert, everything in me says that it's wrong to have a track surrounded by these pillars in this sport, especially on such a ridiculously fast paced track.

"Australia’s Hannah Campbell-Pegg had this to say after she nearly crashed on Thursday night:

I think they are pushing it a little too much. To what extent are we just little lemmings that they just throw down a track and we’re crash-test dummies? I mean, this is our lives."

1266105449.jpg

A wooden wall is seen on Saturday at the area where Nodar Kumaritashvili of Georgia crashed and died on Friday.

I bet the families of people from the Titanic are asking "Who the fuck put all that water there ffs" or "Who the fuck invented icebergs this far north". :rolleyes:

Quite possibly the dumbest comparison ever.